antibiotics

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
beckyl92

antibiotics

Post by beckyl92 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:58 pm

I took my girl to the vets as her balance was terrible and I suspected it to be an ear infection. The vet said it may be an ear infection or it could be to do with her spine/ brain and is untreatable. I got given 2 types of anti biotics (Meloxidyl and Baytril) and got told to give her them for 1 week. It has been 1 week and I don't see much improvement if any. I was wondering, could I maybe give her antibiotics for another couple of days and extend it or is this a health risk?
Dumbo British Blue (Pikachu), Dumbo Black (Yuki), Standard brown hooded (Frankie), Standard Cinnamon Roan (Kai) :)

Snippet

Re: antibiotics

Post by Snippet » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:22 am

Nix was on baytril for over 5 weeks for an ear infection. They need a high dose for quite a while to clear them up properly.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

Jimi+Milo

Re: antibiotics

Post by Jimi+Milo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:05 am

I dont think 1 week is long enough, the baytril guide says 14-30 days. With abs my understanding is doing it for a shorter period can build up an imunity to it. Have a look on the baytril guide http://fancy-rats.co.uk/information/gui ... ct=baytril :wink:
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts: