Massive facial lump!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Elmo

Re: Massive facial lump!

Post by Elmo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:05 pm

The lump popped last night! Cue mountains of white goo/liquid pouring from his ear, & green goo/liquid coming from the lump, all reeking horrendously. (apoligies to anyone eating their lunch while reading this..).

I got as much out as i could, & again this morning. Hes not best pleased with me messing with him, & after getting away from me last night he just lay down on the floor & fell asleep, which worried me hugely, but hes fine this morning..

Hes got the vet later, so am considering asking them to knock him out & give it a proper clean. I can handle cleaning it myself, but i'd like it sorted sooner rather than later, coz i need to away for a few days next wk (Mon-Weds), & really don't want to subject my lovely neighbour to having to clean it out..

Really odd thing is, most of the house stank of 'abcess' - seriously, my room is upstairs & you could smell it downstairs.. - but since it popped, the smell is no longer detectable, even in my room really, unless you get close to him.. Id've thought it'd have been the other way round..

But anyhoo, abcess burst - yay! But theres stil quite a solid outline around where its burst. Not sure if its tumour or hard abcess. & the fact aload of it was pouring out his ear is quite worrying too.. But he still has his balance, is running, eating, drinking, climbing..

So things are looking good so far..

R.
The Brackets looketh somewhat Tech-y and maybe Confusing. Fear not the Brackets, for they are Good. They make thy Post looketh Spiffy.

mcfadyen

Post by mcfadyen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:16 pm

I've had two bucks (years apart) with this issue - chances are it is a ZGT, but you get different kinds (well, different ferocities!). Both of my bucks lived a good life (one lived to 34 months, the other to 28 months), though they did have to endure regular squeezing sessions whenever the abcess re-appeared (by and large ZGTs are very small, though some are enormous but they tend to be far more aggressive).

I wouldn't bother getting it opened up - everything I've read about that doesn't end well, and (I think) it's unneccessary stress for the rat if he's otherwise happy and healthy in himself.

You might want to consider getting him some pain relief though, and make sure it doesn't affect his eating. In my (limited) experience, once the main bulk of the abcess has come through, it's simply a case of keeping on top of it. In both of my cases, the swelling disappeared completely, though did re-occur now and again. In both cases, it was not the direct cause of death in either rat (both ended up with HLD - the old guy died peacefully at home and the other was PTS for quality of life reasons).

petrify

Post by petrify » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Elmo wrote:The lump popped last night! Cue mountains of white goo/liquid pouring from his ear, & green goo/liquid coming from the lump, all reeking horrendously. (apoligies to anyone eating their lunch while reading this..).

I got as much out as i could, & again this morning. Hes not best pleased with me messing with him, & after getting away from me last night he just lay down on the floor & fell asleep, which worried me hugely, but hes fine this morning..

Hes got the vet later, so am considering asking them to knock him out & give it a proper clean. I can handle cleaning it myself, but i'd like it sorted sooner rather than later, coz i need to away for a few days next wk (Mon-Weds), & really don't want to subject my lovely neighbour to having to clean it out..

Really odd thing is, most of the house stank of 'abcess' - seriously, my room is upstairs & you could smell it downstairs.. - but since it popped, the smell is no longer detectable, even in my room really, unless you get close to him.. Id've thought it'd have been the other way round..

But anyhoo, abcess burst - yay! But theres stil quite a solid outline around where its burst. Not sure if its tumour or hard abcess. & the fact aload of it was pouring out his ear is quite worrying too.. But he still has his balance, is running, eating, drinking, climbing..

So things are looking good so far..

R.
Yuk :sickrat: .......... :lol:

Abcesses stink!

I'm glad he still a happy boy :)
Rayne & Myst Sleeping:Tempest, Ghost, Whisper, Casper, Lara, Flick, Hopeful, Little Bit, Phoenix, Lady-bum, Embie, Tommy, Fernie, Bea, Aurora, Hazel & Willow, Freya, Missy. Goos Harold & Humphrey

Elmo

Post by Elmo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:41 am

So i left the lil guy under the care of my neighbours while i was away Mon-Weds. I gave Miles a realy good clean before we left on Mon night, as i didnt want Michael having to deal with abcess cleaning.

Got back yday evening, Miles looked rather grumpy, so again, i immediatly dealt with his absess-y-ness before i went to see the neighbours. Seems Miles has been taking his meds fine, but not wanting to play (immediately worrying to me, & them - as last wk they struggled to get him back into the cage he wanted to play so much..).

I feel guilty for his abcess not being cleaning for 2days, but i really didnt wanna put that stress on my neighbour. Miles has since been v good, iv managed to open the wound up again & get loads out of it, & hes back to being a happy lad.

His bottom teeth arent inline with the top, but they're better than they were, & we're off to see the vet tomoro.

R.
The Brackets looketh somewhat Tech-y and maybe Confusing. Fear not the Brackets, for they are Good. They make thy Post looketh Spiffy.

petrify

Post by petrify » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:56 am

Personally, and this is just my experience and opinion so please dont take this the wrong way at all! When their teeth are out of alignment, thats when I decide to PTS. For me, thats when ZGT starts to affect their quality of life.

I'm sorry about your little man, glad he is still perky though x
Rayne & Myst Sleeping:Tempest, Ghost, Whisper, Casper, Lara, Flick, Hopeful, Little Bit, Phoenix, Lady-bum, Embie, Tommy, Fernie, Bea, Aurora, Hazel & Willow, Freya, Missy. Goos Harold & Humphrey

Elmo

Post by Elmo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:10 pm

petrify wrote:Personally, and this is just my experience and opinion so please dont take this the wrong way at all! When their teeth are out of alignment, thats when I decide to PTS. For me, thats when ZGT starts to affect their quality of life.

I'm sorry about your little man, glad he is still perky though x
Its good to hear other folks opinions/experiences :) His teeth are actually more aligned today then they were on Monday, & iv seen him eating & using them pretty much like normal. Will have to see what vet says tomoro. I'd hate to have him PTS while hes stil pretty happy most of the time :( But i do understand what you mean.

R.

petrify

Post by petrify » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:17 pm

Its all down to the owner, you know him best of course. As long as he is happy, thats the main thing. Watch him closely though, especially in terms of eating. Its completely your call, and I'm so sorry you are going through this, it is heartbreaking.

Scritches to Miles :hearts: hugs to you x

Elmo

Post by Elmo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:34 pm

petrify wrote:Its all down to the owner, you know him best of course. As long as he is happy, thats the main thing. Watch him closely though, especially in terms of eating. Its completely your call, and I'm so sorry you are going through this, it is heartbreaking.

Scritches to Miles :hearts: hugs to you x
Thanks hun :) I'm so sick of illness & death! Within the last 2-3wks i've lost Felix, Charlie, & (slightly off topic) my gran. - gran being the reason i've had to get the neighbours to keep an eye on Miles while iv been to-ing & fro-ing to Aberdeen.

His eating has slowed down, but he is stil eating. Just trying to find something he wants to eat - at the moment its cooked pasta, & also porridge :)

Its only the 2nd ZGT iv had to deal with, the 1st was so long ago i dont really remember..

R.