I think my rats will hate me :(

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
angiee-w

I think my rats will hate me :(

Post by angiee-w » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:45 am

Cut a long story short, my rats are on ab and normally they have it on food and it's never failed.. I bought yoghurt this morning because they no longer touch the food with the ab on it, yoghurt didn't work because they wouldn't touch it.
So.. I got my mum to help me to get in directly in to their mouths and obviously they weren't happy about it.. One who has just started to trust me will no longer let me touch her :(

Will they lose trust in me for putting the meds in their mouths??
I'm so worried they will end up hating me and stop trusting me.. They don't even want a treat after :(

If only they could see im just trying to help them! :rollred:
<3 Eddie, Tiffany, Iris, Bluebell, Callie, Pearle <3
<3 RIP Boston Grace Molly Percy <3
.. This wont be a goodbye, but i will see you some day soon

Athena

Re: I think my rats will hate me :(

Post by Athena » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:00 am

don you feed them at the same time each day? or do they always have food? try giving them the laced food before their food bowl gets filled so they are hungrier, also try something really stinky like tuna. Have you ever tried baytril? i have :oops: and its vile, i mean really really vile so it needs to be masked with something special and amazing or very stinky! :love:
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

Blue Dragon

Post by Blue Dragon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:03 am

I've tasted Baytril too, and I agree, it's not nice!

I put it in some sort of baby pudding, like rice pudding or choc pudding, and then mix in a little sprinkle of sugar to sweeten it up. That's works a treat every time! : ) Try that and see if that works.

They won't hate you, you just have to show them you still love them and they'll understand : )
Georgie, Inky, Sugar, Jacky and Laratta.
And to all my ratties who have passed, I'll miss you all till I see you again. You're Gone for now, but never forgotten.

angiee-w

Post by angiee-w » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:19 am

They always have food in their cage, I will try that method and put it in set times because I don't actually ever see them eating their eat food

And I've never tried baytril, I have heard it's disgusting which is why I normally put it on food, but they won't eat it now.. Tuna sounds like a good idea, I tried using strawberry yoghurt and mixing in that but thy sniff if then look at me as if to say.. I know what's in this..

They go crazy for jam toast and first time ever they didn't want to know after the ab 'incident', theyre very good at making me feel guilty :roll:

Athena

Post by Athena » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:25 am

yes whatever we do they always make us feel guilty about something :lol:
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

Elmo

Post by Elmo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:04 pm

My lad will take baytril hidden in malt paste. Its fab at the min, as he gets it as a 'reward' for letting me clean his abcess.. :wink:

On the subject of trust/them hating you - iv been cleaning Miles' facial abcess several times a day now for about a wk. He tore my arm to pieces the first 3-4days, ran away from me, didnt want picked up, was v. wary, but hes gradually realised its for his own good, & now sits quietly, holding my finger while i clean him up.

They don't hate you, they just don't understand that you're giving it to them for their own good :)

R.
The Brackets looketh somewhat Tech-y and maybe Confusing. Fear not the Brackets, for they are Good. They make thy Post looketh Spiffy.

Tammyrat

Post by Tammyrat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:17 pm

A trick that is yet to fail anyone yet is to mix it with chocolate milk. Full fat stuff not soya...My girl Custard was the same as yours and as soon as i mixed it with choccy milk and she tasted the milk she went mad for it. Draw up the abs, draw up some choccy milk and mix it well so that the abs arent at the end after the milk and then let it drip so they taste it and they will wolfe it down :D
Tammy xx
In love with 8 Ratties - Winnie, Nelly, Crumble, Doola, Spot, Sherbert, Dolly and Fizz.
Night night sweet Possum, Dini, Custard :dumbogirly:
A proud member of the Savic Royal club :D

Fritzy

Post by Fritzy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Reading this makes me feel lucky, my boy Rodrigo loves Baytril and for a while when he was prescribed last year you could feed it to him straigh out of the syringe! With Fritz I found yoghurt or baby food usually worked, never tried tuna though!

Ellie & Rodrigo
The Wonderful Boy: Rodrigo
My girls: Rosie -Willow -Sage
http://myrats5.webs.com/ <--- Go There to find out about my rats and see new pics!!
On Rainbow Bridge: Blossom, Fritz and Six little Stars - Rest in peace my beautiful babies.

minkymoo

Post by minkymoo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:02 am

Mayo! naughty, but they like it

angiee-w

Post by angiee-w » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:39 am

I put a bit of sugar to help hide the taste and it is a success! Probably a good way to get one of my girls to trust me again :)
They've been very good so far, chocolate milk sounds like a good idea, will try that too!

Thank you everyone for replying, it is very interesting to read what other people do to give meds to the ratties :D

Poppyhal

Post by Poppyhal » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:49 am

I hide mine in soya yogurt or soya desert (chocolate or caramel), this never fails. Some times I give liquid meds on a tiny bit of absorbent bread, then sprinkle chocolate milkshake powder over the top - irresistible :lol:
:love: Fraggle, Dusty, Pootle, Lennie, Scamp, Biscuit, Pickle, Cinders and Norman-Stanley-Fletcher :love:
Missing you all