Tumour or Abcess?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Werepuppy

Tumour or Abcess?

Post by Werepuppy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:41 am

One of our foster rats (Caisu's rats) has a large lump suddenly appear overnight between his ear and shoulder. Its quite hard to the touch and doesn't move around under the skin, and no signs of any bites that might have set off an abcess.
I'm worried that it could potentially be a tumour that is attached to him and has had aggressive growth, can this happen or is it more likely to be an abcess?

Here's a photo of the lumpy boy, Alucard.

My rats: Possum, Tasmania, Henna, & Trinity!
And lastly my kitties; Neko & Oliver.
RIP Toffee, Inky, Boota, Balthazar, Lady Serenity & Rosetta :dumbohalo:

debzratties

Re: Tumour or Abcess?

Post by debzratties » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:26 pm

We had the same problem with Basil, she had a hard lump appear overnight without any local wound, she had recieved quite a nasty bite on her back leg the week previous to this though and we thought maybe an infection had spread and formed an abcess elsewhere but within days she had developed another 2 hard lumps that turned out to be malignant. I have also had girls that have had fatty lumps that were tiny when found that felt more like like abcesses even to the vet so he gave them ab's just incase thats all they were, they also didn't have any wound marks and they turned out to be lipomas that we had removed. Sometimes as in my case it's not always easy to tell, but if there's no wound I would definitely get it checked as it could well be a tumour of some kind. Good luck :luck:

Debz :dumbogirly:
Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

KatieJ

Post by KatieJ » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:09 pm

I would think abcess straight away too if it was as sudden as you say. Keep looking through the fur for any marks, and you could try the hot compress thing, it shouldn't harm a tumour but it will help you to see if it is an abcess fairly soon. Vet sounds like a good precaution though :luck:
::Katie::
~Wisdom~Bounty~Sparrow~Sunshine~Arfur~Wilson~Deeks~Oakie~

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:41 pm

I think if its not showing signs of popping by next Saturday (i got a post-op check booked for possum), I'll take him down at the same time. I have hibiscrub on standby and been applying warm salt water to the area to help it to pop early.
Of course I'll keep a close eye on him and if he deteriorates before then... well I'll have to get my housemate to take him in >_<

KatieJ

Post by KatieJ » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:47 am

Sounds like a good plan :luck:
::Katie::
~Wisdom~Bounty~Sparrow~Sunshine~Arfur~Wilson~Deeks~Oakie~

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:44 am

Update: Just checked the lump this morning and got 2 little brown spots appearing on the surface.
I was almost panicking yesterday thinking it could be a tumor or it could be an abscess that was going to burst inwards :(
Hopefully it'll pop properly over the next few days, and I'll talk with Caisu about getting him some antibiotics. I may end up having some left over from Possum but its marbocyl and I'm not sure on what percentage because he's a very big boy. I know my little Possum is on 0.1ml a day, and for my boys or Pandora when i had to give her meds it's usually 0.2ml so I'm guessing 0.2-0.25ml?

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:55 am

That sounds like good news! Hopefully it'll resolve itself ok. When mine had abscesses I was given Baytril and I've had no reoccurances but I don't know if there's a better one to use.
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

<:3 )~~ All your rodents are belong to me <:3 )~~

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Lackis wrote:That sounds like good news! Hopefully it'll resolve itself ok. When mine had abscesses I was given Baytril and I've had no reoccurances but I don't know if there's a better one to use.
Marbocyl is very similar to baytril, my vets always use it.