worring lump

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
ramduck

worring lump

Post by ramduck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:42 am

this is sirius an over two year old male pets@home rattie we fostered in september. while out playing last night i saw this lump on his lower neck. its not painful to him as he likes being tickled under the chin(and who doesnt!) and was happy for me to touch it. he`s eating well and no strange noises.after chatting to my wife we have made plans to take him to the vet tuesday for a check, but its worrying me now.
anyone had anything like this?

sati18

Re: worring lump

Post by sati18 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:47 am

i had an old boy (around 27-29 months) who developed a lump in a similar area. it was round and almost a bit squidgy. the vets said its a difficult area to operate on because of so many big blood vessles but they had agreed to open him up and take a look, and if they could safely remove it they would. they managed to, and even though he was old he healed withing a couple of weeks (would have been quicker if he hadn't pulled 2 lots of stitches out).

whether they can do anything for him will depend very much on what the lump is and how self contained it is. good luck with the vets- hopefully they can remove it.
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

ramduck

Post by ramduck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:51 am

an operation is a worry. he`s an old boy and we just lost his brother, i think we are in for a long week

sati18

Post by sati18 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:57 am

Mmm it always is, but there is the chance that it could be an abscess or a cyst or something rather than a lump. also if operating is out of the question you could try a shot of steroids and see if that reduces the size. unless it's really impacting on his life then you could conceivably leave it be and just take whatever measures people can recommend to try to stop it growing or even shrink it.
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 am

Scritches to your boy Ramduck. I don't think I would put him through an op but it really depends on how you feel after you speak to your vet.
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

ramduck

Post by ramduck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:53 am

thanks for the replies,at least no need to get him to the vets today.i know these things happen to rats but when its your own and your favourite its a worry.as long as he stays happy, eating and gets around ok drugs is as far as i need to go.cross the operation bridge when we need to but i dont think the old boys is up to it, or being on his own after for a while.
so we`ll see what the news is tuesday .thanks everyone

daffee

Post by daffee » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Looks like an abscess to me. They can get very big and when they burst it's very unpleasant, but you shouldn't need to intervene. :luck:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

ramduck

Post by ramduck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:58 pm

thanks daffee,that would be handy.and its not the most unpleasant outcome.

ramduck

Post by ramduck » Tue May 03, 2011 2:43 pm

hi guys before getting to sirius visit to the vets this afternoon,since we started being owned by ratties in september we have learnt a lot.and until finding this lump and asking for advice never looked on the health side of the forum.their are some stories here about these litle boys and girls and what it takes to look after them.which made he feel very embrarrassed about going ott finding a lump on our guy.
anyhow, it seems sirius has a tumor. not confirmed , going to be checked again in a fortnight but the vet seems pretty sure. he confirmed sati18 advice about blood vessels and nerves in that area, and of course with sirius being over two years old the dangers that brings should there be a future treatment.
BUT the good news we have and was confirmed the lump doesnt seem to affect our lad or hurt him. eating and playing is fine, infact he didnt even try and bite the vet when he was examning him. even think he made a new friend.other than that he`s a healthy rat. which we will happily take at the moment .just got to keep an eye on him eating and moving. or anything nasty.

ramduck

Post by ramduck » Wed May 18, 2011 4:23 pm

update, sirius had his second visit a fortnight after the first to check on this lump.it has got a little bigger and is now confirmed as a tumour.But sirius seems still to be unaffected, in fact since altering the cage for him ,he`s been chasing the kids round the cage.i forget where i read the idea of pulling socks over ramps to help oldies climb them but that was a brilliant idea. and the tumour is high enough up not to rub as he moves.
other than that sirius is fine. infact we got some brownie points of how well he is.which a lot comes back to you guys for all the help and advice.
so unless things change we are to leave well alone.if it does start to affect our lad then we have some choices to make,as we have been recommened that an op`s to risky.
on a vet note, after the first visit and full examination we were charged £20. after the second visit examination and chat there was no charge. i think that was very fair.views on that?

ramduck

Post by ramduck » Tue May 24, 2011 11:53 am

big news, while picking up our new baby rattie castor , we had a chat with the breeder and good friend about siri and his lump. she was suprised they handt punctured the lump to make sure it was a tumour. so i rang the vets the next day to ask, the nearest parctice to us isnt equiped to use needles on small animals :o , so had to go to a main branch. they weren`t happy about doing , unless siri was gased and tests were done on whatever came out.but after a semi heated conversation both sides decided to sort things out on the day. which was this morning, and to make sure there was no arguments the ABSCESS :D burst in the waiting room. so we got it all cleaned out, got his meds (oral of course).and they only charged for the meds. sirius is doing just fine. spending a day on his own, sleeping with little leg kicks (thinking about vets no wonder) . let him out to play with the others this evening ,but sleep on his tonight.so we all seem to be happy today

ramduck

Post by ramduck » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:36 am

just to finish this story a few months on. sirius is doing just fine.all healed up and being the boss of the cage again. so the motto of the story is,get advice from someone in the know. and if its an unknown lump ask the vet sprick it with a fine needle to see if anything comes out.oh and love your rat :wink:

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:58 am

Yay for Sirius :D !!
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

ramduck

Post by ramduck » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:04 pm

cheers rhi01 glad to pass some good news on

sati18

Post by sati18 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Yay just seen this so pleased for you :D lumps on oldies are so difficult to make decisions about- so happy that it ws just an abscess and he's healing well.

Scritches to your gorgeous old man :love: