First spay...Advice re: what to expect, aftercare etc.

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
debzratties

First spay...Advice re: what to expect, aftercare etc.

Post by debzratties » Tue May 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi, I know i've been through quite a few ops with my girls lately, but I've not had to have any spayed up until now, and apart from knowing the op is more invasive than say a lump removal I don't really know much else. Whisper will be going in for the op tomorrow as she has suspected pyo/polyps/tumour and her age is unknown as she's from a larger group of rescues. She is however very small 220g which really worries me plus the fact that the op will not be a straight forward spay because of whatever it is thats causing her symptoms, the rest of her group have had a lot of health problems and one of her sisters had to be pts a few weeks ago due to a suspected pt which had spread to her lungs so really worried about Whisper :(

If anybody can tell me what to expect with her surgery and how I can help her post op i'd really appreciate it, it might also make the whole experience a tincy bit
less worrying if I know a bit more beforehand

Here is she being spoilt with her fav food.... strawberry and cream yogurt :hearts:

Debz :dumbogirly:
Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

annc

Re: First spay...Advice re: what to expect, aftercare etc.

Post by annc » Tue May 03, 2011 2:15 pm

My rats have varied a lot - some have been lethargic afterwards, some almost ignored it! A few things I would say:

Ask your vet to give you some Metacam for her from the day after for a few days, as they can get cramps
She'll want to be alone, or with a quiet companion for a couple of days
Watch for stitch chewing - if so, you can put a cohesive bandage around her

Thinking of you.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

Cate

Post by Cate » Tue May 03, 2011 2:20 pm

Take heart. :) I had a small and not very young (age unknown due to being a resue) girly go for a spay and she was fine.

She came home obviously distressed and in pain (side sucking, etc), with an impressive line of metal staples all along her scar, which had also been stitched and glued. :o I put her into her freshly cleaned cage (with a familiar set-up) where she immediately curled up and slept for hours, and we kept her cage mate in a carrier and gave her lots of fuss during the evening. When the poorly girly woke she seemed so much better we let the other girl see her and they were so pleased to see each other we let them back into the cage together. Neither of them worried at the metalwork (my main fear) so with some trepidation we left them together overnight. When I came down at 3am to check they were both scrambling round the cage as though nothing had happened. :o She never looked back. :D

I hope your little girl is ok. What a sweetheart she looks. :hearts: Keep us posted. :D I hope you have plans to keep busy tomorrow - and a bottle of wine to enjoy in the evening. :wink:

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Tue May 03, 2011 2:30 pm

Thanks for the advice Anne, Her sister Fudge has just had a lump removed last week and I bought another bottle of Metacam at the same time
just incase I ran out, so i'll have plenty in and start giving it her on Thursday, I just hope she takes it as Fudge wouldn't touch the stuff.
I'll probably end up putting her in with Fudge or her other sister Nibbles as they're inseperable at the best of times so I don't know what
Nibbles will be like when Whispers at the vets tomorrow

Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

neela

Post by neela » Tue May 03, 2011 4:17 pm

I've had 4 girls spayed, 3 of them were successful and they were fine afterwards (just understandably sluggish!) and bounced back to normal within a couple of days. My vet uses dissolvable stitches and sometimes skin glue if needed. The rats get vetergesic and metacam during surgery and afterwards are prescribed metacam for as long as they seem to need it - usually 3-5 days depending on how they seem - and baytril for a week after the op (I've asked her not to use injectable). In general their recovery haven't really been any different compared to after a lump removal. They were 8, 10 and 16 months at the time of spay and weighed between 250g-450g. I usually let them spend a few days in the hospital cage with a friend (or the first night alone if they seem really tired). None have chewed the op site although one of them pulled a little at the skin glue so that there was a little bit of bleeding after a few days. She went on to develop a small seroma but it was reabsorbed after another week.

Give Whisper yummy soft food, dr squiggles and other nice treats (it'll make you feel better too if you spoil her a bit :lol:) and best of luck to you both tomorrow :luck:

Photos of two of my girls, taken the day after the spay. The first one was spay only (8 months) and the second was lump removal + spay (16 months).
Image Image
Lisa & the BatRats @ http://www.batrats.co.uk: Dicey, Roux, Busby, Fliss, Rae, Nancy, Dr Pepper, Darkling, Contra, Stanleymuffin.
At the bridge: Bernie Mac, Tesla, Elliot, Bunk, Bandy, Bobby, sorely missed and forever loved.

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Tue May 03, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks Cate and Lisa for your well wishes, your advice has also been really helpfull, especially the photos as I was expecting her to have a much bigger wound.
I really hope Whisper doesn't have staples, they sound like they'd be really painful. I've just been checking her over and I think I made the right decision to have her spayed as whatever it is inside her is bulging a lot more now so it's obvious that ab's alone won't be enough, I just hope it's nothing nasty like a tumour :( She's so tiny but her personality is absolutely huge and we love her to bits so i'll be glad when it's this time tomorrow and she's back from the vets.
I'll be making sure I keep extra busy once i've dropped her off. If she has her op in the morning i'll probably just hang around up in Newcastle so that i'm nearer and we'll be able to collect her a lot quicker.
Whispers been promised a lovely party with mini carrot cakes all round once she's back on her little feet, so piccys to follow. :hearts:

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Tue May 03, 2011 8:47 pm

I've had several girls spayed with very few problems

One fiddled with her stitches and seemed very smug that it was her sister and not her that got infected (I kept telling her "you'll make it go bad"!) Her sister had a reaction to the internal suture and it needed flushing and ABs. She always had a little knotty scar on her stomach (the fiddler!)

One needed oxygen for some time after....we didn't realise then that she had myco, which she died from at a year old (they were rescues left in a hamster cage beside a river in February when babies :( ) Her sister managed to burst open her glued incision and couldn't have cared less about it, whereas I was freaking out all night as they'd told me at the vets when I called at 11 at night to 'check her a few times overnight and bring her in in the morning'. All was fine the second time of sealing it!

As well as the side-sucky thing, it can look really awful when they stretch - my fiddly girl and her sister were the stretchiest rats i knew anyway - they'd really lengthen themself - and when they were first spayed it looked awful as if EVERYTHING had been removed from inside them!

You'll probably be amazed how quickly they bounce back and want to get back to normal, but if you can keep them quieter.....!
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

annc

Post by annc » Tue May 03, 2011 9:22 pm

The vet will probably give a Metacam injection after the spay, which will mean she won't need any more for 24 hours

Wishing you and your girl all the best for the operation. She looks gorgeous!
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed May 04, 2011 9:05 am

Orbit reccomends giving her a tasty chew - one of those Ancol ones especially. She says although it wasn't something she was given to stop her chewing her tummy, it was a very good use of time that helped her keep still and not be too active initially, but not bored also :lol:

I kept Orb hospitalised for 5 days, which was also how long she had the just-in-case baytril for. She had a rota of 2-3 calm friends in with her, and the 2 boisterous ones didn't get a look in. The day before I moved her back into the main cage I put everyone in the hospital cage. Not for remembering reasons or anything, more that if any other rat was going to go after her stitches, I'd rather it be in a single-level place than in the main cage. I wasn't 100% convinced someone else wouldn't. I do that after lumpectomies too.

In terms of free range, I let her determine that. With any operation I don't consider it until they're off the metacam (which I judge on them as an individual). Then what I tend to do is have them out at the end of free range without the boisterous rats being there. And just go with how she seems really; they're very individual with how they cope, and speed of recovery is a bit vet-dependant too :luck:

eta - me personally, I always take a quiet companion rat in the carrier to the vets too. I find it keeps them calmer before the op and having another rat in there afterwards is good re. feeling safe, and also 'oh this rat is eating, maybe I will too'. I've never had any issues with it being straight away - either from the rats themselves or from the vets having issue with it. That's then the companion they spend the next day with too.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Thu May 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Thankyou all for sharing your experiences, it's been really helpfull. Although I never got time to reply yesterday....sorry, I did have a good read through,
just as well really as I would have freaked out when I saw Whisper following her op as she did look really sucked in. I left the house yesterday at 7:15am
and we didn't arrive back home until 7pm as Whisper had been transferred back to the other practice, as we'd been given an appt over there with Judith
to discuss things.

Basically what she found when she did the spay was that the area around her fallopian tubes had thickened and this extended right down into her pelvis
where it was unsafe to remove, she's taken as much of the affected tissue away that she could during the spay but Whisper has been left with the lower part of this, this is the
part we could see prodtruding, so not the good news we'd been hoping for :( because the affected area was quite extensive it's quite likely to be a tumour or if she's really lucky it could just be
a benign condition that may improve once her hormones have settled down so really hoping it's the second of the 2.

We could of had a sample sent for analysis but as she's already had the treatment for this condition anyway (her spay) I decided against it, if it had came back as malignant then I would only
be upset and worried about her, and me in a state wouldn't be any help to Whisper or the rest of the group, obviously if it had of benefited Whisper at all I would have jumped at the chance.
Putting this not so good news aside Whisper has done really well, it took her a while to start eating/drinking and would only do so if I gave it on my finger for her to lick, so she did
have me worried for a while but by around 1am she seemed to come to life and then there was no stopping her :D she had no intentions of going back into her cage so Nibbles kept her company and me
having had barely any sleep forgot to take the water bottle off the cage that i'd added honey to, so Nibbles had a treat last night. I even woke up this morning to the sound of Whisper crunching on her dried food, something it took Fudge 4/5 days to do last week following her lump removal so really really pleased that she's doing so well, I just wish it could have been better news :(

We have a post op check booked for Monday so i'll go over things with Judith then and see if theres any other treatment available, and in the meantime i'll carry on spoiling Whisper
with all her favourite food, hopefully she might even put on a little weight. Thanks again for all your help

Cate

Post by Cate » Thu May 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Glad she's doing so well. :D Enjoy her! :hearts:

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Thu May 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Abigail's going in for a spay tomorrow :( I never had one done before either so i'm quite anxious but I have a really good vet and I trust her. What kind of set up have you got for Whisper now that she's post op?
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

<:3 )~~ All your rodents are belong to me <:3 )~~

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Thu May 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi, the vet we had do Whispers op was also highly recommended as she's done a lot of ratty and even mice spays. I've certainly
noticed how much better Whispers recovered compared to other girls in her group that had surgery done by a different vet and she had a much bigger op.
Whisper is in a low level cage atm so that she can't climb, the nurse said to try and avoid her climbing following her op, I use towels instead of substrate a thick one to line the cage then a couple of smaller ones to keep her warm, I had a little amount of cardboard bedding just below her water bottles to absorb any drips, I put a small amount of dried food in the substrate and some fruit and cucumber in the cage along with a small dish of sloppy food. During the day
while i'm at home I have her cage on the sofa with the door left open so that she's got plenty room to move about, then at night I have her cage beside our bed
along with another 2 in use hospital cages. Try not to worry to much, I know it's hard not to, last night Whisper was more energetic than her healthy sister Nibbles and she'd just had her op earlier in the day. I also got Whisper to take sloppy food and fluids from my finger quite often to keep her energy levels up as she wasn't eating/drinking herself for a bit and I think this really helped as it really perked her up, I think the honey water might have given her a bit of a boost also as she seemed to eat/drink a lot more afterwards. Good luck for tomorrow :luck:

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Fri May 06, 2011 7:57 pm

Good news and bad news really. The spay was a complete sucess and desperately needed doing as her uterus was very haemhorragic and her ovaries cystic so that's good riddance to bad rubbish! Wish they'd take out mine...

Unfortunatley the vet checked her kidneys as well, one she oculdn't inspect through the fat layer but the other is all gnarly and bobbly so she's got kidney disease :( I've had them on the kidney friendly shunamite diet since January when I got my first ratrations order and I've got various medications for her but obviously it is not ultimately cureable.

I've set up my Savic Freddy 2 as her hospital cage as that's all i have to hand. I've sectioned it off so it's just under half the height and given her a bowl of dry food to last her however long when she wants that, a bowl of wate and a water bottle so she can choose which she wants and a bowl of veg soup with Daily 3 mixed in. She cant have any more pain meds and antibiotics til tomorrow. so far she's very tired but mobile and very fluffy. Not sure if this is due to tired or discomfort :( wish I could fix her.
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

<:3 )~~ All your rodents are belong to me <:3 )~~

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Sat May 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Glad to hear Abigail came through her op okay, it's a shame about her kidneys but hopefully the diet your feeding will help in some way.
How is she doing now?

Whisper has made an amazing recovery from her op and is enjoying having her 2 sisters keep her company, she's
even been a bit to helpfull, and has been nibbling at Fudges stitches but she's had them in over a week now so the wound is just about healed anyway.
It's a shame I never got chance to read Beri's advice about giving her something to chew then maybe she would have left her sisters stitches alone :roll:

I'm not looking forward to Whispers post op check incase her prognosis is worse than I first thought. I was more concerned about seeing that Whisper was okay when we went to collect her after the op, so most of what Judith told me just went in one ear and out the other, i'm really hoping she can shed some light on Whispers condition, I can't even remember Judith giving it a name so I haven't even been able to search for info or anything, she still has part of her inners protruding out and i'm worried it may be sore or become infected so i'm really hoping that it shrinks and goes back in soon, the things these little ratties put us through, my OH said I looked as white as a sheet when we were in the vets waiting to collect Whisper so i'm not suprised I forgot half of what the vet told me, maybe I should take a dictaphone on Monday and record what she says :lol:

Whisper sends lots of love to Abigail and hopes she feels better soon :love: