First spay...Advice re: what to expect, aftercare etc.

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Lackis

Re: First spay...Advice re: what to expect, aftercare etc.

Post by Lackis » Sat May 07, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm really glad Whisper is doing so well :) when is her post op check? I'm taking Abigail back on Wednesday. She's been like a different rat today! I felt so awful yesterday because sadly it's not been a complete fix with the kidneys being a problem as well and she was so clearly uncomfortable and still a bit wobbly after the anasthetic and from shock as well probably. She's not been fluffed up at all today though and has been acting as normal as ever! She hardly took any metacam which I'm a little worried about though, will try again with her next dose this evening to see if she'll take a little more. So far she's left the wound alone, the outside is just sealed with skin glue all the sutures are internal so she cant get at them. My vet advised me it would take 10-14 days for her to heal and that she should be kept seperate for all of that time and then re-introduced to my other 2. What do you guys think should I keep her on her own for that long?
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

<:3 )~~ All your rodents are belong to me <:3 )~~

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Sat May 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi, Whisper has her post op check on Monday, she wasn't fussed on Metacam but then again most of my girls dislike it, it does have a horrible smell so thats probably why. She's had 2 days of Metacam but probably didn't need the second one yesterday as she was fine, it was more me worrying that she may be hiding the pain so I gave it her, not that she ate it. Luckily she has her ab's without any problems though.

I've never had to keep any of my girls alone after surgery but I did consider it with Whisper as she was really tired, it never worked out that way though as she seemed to come to life later on and she ended up with Nibbles keeping her company for the first night and Fudge joined them both last night. I've not had any problems with them bothering her infact it's been Whisper thats been the boisterous one. I think she's enjoying having her sisters around and don't think her recovery would have went so well if she'd been kept alone. I think how long you seperate your girl is something you would be able to Judge a lot more than the vet as you know your girls better than anybody.

Debz :dumbogirly:
Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Sat May 07, 2011 7:08 pm

I think the main worry is just that the others might groom or bother her wound site but I'm not really comfortable leaving her on her own for up to 2 weeks. I don't mind going through the hassle of having to completely re-introduce her or anything if being seperate is what's good for her, I'm just so used to the idea that rats need company more than anything else! :lol:
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Sat May 07, 2011 8:04 pm

You Could try her with one of your other girls, just the two of them to see how they get on while you supervise. If she has no external stitches then there should be less worry re: the other girl bothering her wound. Whisper had a go at Fudges stitches last night but they are rather obvious, she has a long row of external ones with about 8 loose knots hanging from her, neither Fudge or Nibbles has bothered Whispers wound or stitches, come to think of it Whisper hasn't even bothered her stitches.

I've had some vets that recommend keeping my girls seperate for 7-10 days post op when all they had was a tiny fatty lump removed and another that advised to keep my last rescue group seperate to my other girls indefinitely. I just think it would stress them out more by keeping them alone and I find keeping things as normal as possible for them following surgery is usually of great benefit to them. Thats not to say someone elses rats might not be bothered either way it's just something i've noticed with mine following quite a few surgeries lately. I wouldn't be worried about them having to be re-introduced, i'm sure they'll remember each other.

Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

neela

Post by neela » Sat May 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Yey Whisper and Abigail! I'd also definitely vouch for some sort of company. As far as I understand, it's really rare that other rats bother the stitches so personally I wouldn't worry about it - unless the chosen cagemate were to start doing it of course, in which case I'd try another rat. I've found here (obviously a very small sample!) that having company has calmed the patient greatly every single time, which probably also makes it less likely that they'll bother their own stitches.

Some of mine have happily taken their metacam neat whereas others won't touch it unless mixed with nutrical or baby food or similar. Again, I believe not being in pain makes them less likely to bother the stitches, so like other medicines that they need I try to mix it with all sorts of things until they take it - at least for the first 2-3 days. If they're not showing signs of pain after that I don't usually bother.
Lisa & the BatRats @ http://www.batrats.co.uk: Dicey, Roux, Busby, Fliss, Rae, Nancy, Dr Pepper, Darkling, Contra, Stanleymuffin.
At the bridge: Bernie Mac, Tesla, Elliot, Bunk, Bandy, Bobby, sorely missed and forever loved.

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Sun May 08, 2011 3:31 pm

Metacam worked when mixed with cake :) I've been giving Abi 5-10 minute free ranges a couple of times a day once she was 24 clear of her op, this morning I tried her on my bed with the other 2 and she got a bit snotty with Matilda and Jupiter immediately stuck his head under her to have a look so I gave up on that! :lol:

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Mon May 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Just a quick update, Whisper had her post op check today and she seems to be healing okay, the vet thought her wound might be a little swollen
but then she said it may just be the internal stitches bulging as she has so little meat on her little bones.

I asked Judith what her thoughts were on Whispers condition and really wish I hadn't now, she said it's very likely to be a tumour as it felt like a solid mass and that it's attatched to the muscle wall,
she still has part of this protruding from her which can't be very comfortable, she mentioned that it would be about 4 weeks before her hormones settle and
that the part thats protruding might shrink during this time, I just wish their was something I could do to make her better. Out of the 4 sisters there's only Nibbles that hasn't been affected by anything major yet :(

We also took Brown nose along to see Judith, she thinks she'll be okay for now as her lumps still really small so she'll probably have it removed in a couple of weeks time once we know she hasn't grown anymore new ones.

Fudge, Whispy's sister is back at the vets tomorrow for her post op check and to have her stitches removed and we also have Daisy booked in as her breathing is still terrible, she's had so many major health issues since we got them that i'm starting to wonder if our run of good luck with getting her through them all is starting to run out now. She's been on Baytril/Doxy for about 8 weeks now and her breathings not improved much at all so if anybody has any suggestions of what we could try next i'd really appreciate it.

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Wed May 11, 2011 10:10 am

Good luck with all your girls! How are they at the moment? I'm just back from Abigail's post op check and she's doing fine, not noticed any more blood in her urine for a while as well so hopefully the kidney meds are working! She's back to her old self, hoping she'll improve slightly as my vet said her hormone levels will settle in a month so hopefully she'll be less mental. Let her out in my room for 10 minutes or so last night because she's doing so well. Promptly climbed on the other cage and grabbed a handful of Jupiter through the bars :o she's a little sociopath. He didn't seem to especially notice though! Today however when we got back from the vets she jumped into there cage whilst I was messing about changing them and she and Jupiter propmtly went in the igloo and settled down together. So maybe she wasn't trying to kill him she just wanted a cuddle :lol: I can't understand her at all...

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Wed May 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Glad to hear everything went well for Abigail today and that she's not had anymore problems, Whispy's back to her normal self, well apart from her having some of her inners hanging out which I'm hoping will shrink back once her hormones have settled and her slightly swollen wound which I think is probaly just due to her not having much fat on her tummy and making the internal stitches look like there bulging through her skin, I know girls are prone to gaining weight following a spey but with Whispy being as tiny as she is I won't need to worry to much about that

Fudge didn't do as well with her post op check yesterday, she'd left her stitches alone for 9 whole days and her wound was healing nicely until just hours before going back to see the vet, she decided she'd had enough of the dangly bits hanging off and tried to remove them herself. The vet was just saying how good the wound looked and I was asking her if she would need to have the remaining stitches removed when I caught a whiff of it. The vet thinks she's had a reaction to the stitches and tried to remove as much of them as possible with me trying to stop her wriggling, she eventually kept still and had all but a few of the little ends taken out. When I asked the vet if she should be on more ab's as I thought it had became infected she said no, it was just a reaction and that I should bathe the wound with cooled boiled water. I also got some different treatment for Daisy to try and help with her breathing so fingers crossed we see some improvement soon. The vet we saw yesterday also gave us a bit of hope with regards to Whispy's condition, she said that even if it turns out to be a tumour the fact that she's had a spey means the problem may resolve once her hormones have settled.