Vivitonin, stroke supps and med interactions

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Dinky

Vivitonin, stroke supps and med interactions

Post by Dinky » Wed May 04, 2011 10:56 am

Hi,

Our older boy Wilson had what we can only assume was a stroke/some sort of heart failure last night. We rushed him to vets to receive a steroid job and a course of vivotonin, which he seems to be responding to quite nicely (I have also posted in the habitat section and in my tizzy an emergency post).

Now with Wils been so old, I do worry about his other organs - obviously steroids can put a strain on the kidneys, but what about vivitonin?
Will the ipakitine we usually give him have any interactions?
Could I help by giving him other things?
I found some supplements yesterday in my tizzy but have lost them again! Coenzyme Q10 was one (we already use), but are there others we could consider too?

Thanks!
Lisa is owned by Harry, Travis and Spencer
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me

AlienRat

Re: Vivitonin, stroke supps and med interactions

Post by AlienRat » Wed May 04, 2011 2:36 pm

I had a quick look and couldn't find anything about vivitonin affecting the kidneys, apart from that the kidney problem should be addressed and treated, which it is with the ipakitine. I know that our vets never told us to withhold ipakitine when we started giving a rat vivitonin. I couldn't find interactions in my quick search either. Vivitonin is usually very good for strokes, I know there are supplements that can help with strokes, like Aktivait, but whether it will give added benefit or not I really am not sure.
Sabby, RitaVonCheese, Jamie, Ethylene, Victor, Hector, Boris, Gunther

RIP: KimoCandyBenjaminNutbagChinaJeremiahChikinCletusMansonDieterCallistaFifiAlfieAliceGeorgeEvaJemimaPEPoxyAmaraTrixiSpookBuddhaMayaBuboDomdom BuffyWillowJeremy.II MicrobeJeremy

Dinky

Post by Dinky » Wed May 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks Alienrat - I couldn't find any interactions so at least we can confirm that :)

Thank you for looking! I really hope the vivitonin works!
Lisa is owned by Harry, Travis and Spencer
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me

AlienRat

Post by AlienRat » Wed May 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Dinky wrote:Thanks Alienrat - I couldn't find any interactions so at least we can confirm that :)

Thank you for looking! I really hope the vivitonin works!
I hope it works too, I have seen really good results with it! :) In fact one of our boys who had bad kidneys had a stroke and he was on both ipakitine and vivitonin (and fortekor for his kidneys) and he recovered from his stroke really well. Good luck with your boy :luck:
Sabby, RitaVonCheese, Jamie, Ethylene, Victor, Hector, Boris, Gunther

RIP: KimoCandyBenjaminNutbagChinaJeremiahChikinCletusMansonDieterCallistaFifiAlfieAliceGeorgeEvaJemimaPEPoxyAmaraTrixiSpookBuddhaMayaBuboDomdom BuffyWillowJeremy.II MicrobeJeremy