Experience with eye issues/removal

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
jennifer-rat

Experience with eye issues/removal

Post by jennifer-rat » Fri May 06, 2011 2:09 pm

Puck's right eye has never been the same size as his left, it doesn't 'pop' out of the head as much as his other eye and he has already seen the vet regarding this, who thinks it was likely due to the misplaced foot of mother/sibling when he was a kitten. Recently though I have noticed him scratching it more than usual and it sometimes appears gunked up (with reddish coloured gunk - dried poryphin?) and I have to gently wipe it with a damp cotton pad to get it to open. I've booked him in with the vets for Monday morning and was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of similar issues? I'm worried that his eyelashes are irritating the eye and that he may need it removed. Another issue has arisen with his left eye over the past couple of days too, in that he has developed a white spot inside the eyeball - I was really concerned at first as I thought he was going blind/developing cataracts but his vision appears to be perfectly fine and unaltered :-|
Any advice greatly appreiciated! :D
Jen, plus:
:dumbo: Puck, Pitri and Diesel
Remembered forever: Norman, Nesbitt, Scamp, Stuart, Jasper and Carrot.

not_ginger

Re: Experience with eye issues/removal

Post by not_ginger » Fri May 06, 2011 5:41 pm

I have no experience of what your boy has but I do have a rat who has one eye. He had gluacoma (see here) which necessitated the eye being removed.

He healed really quickly and having only one eye doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest!

Hope your boy is ok, whatever the problem is. :love:
*Angela*
And Ronan :smileyrat: ,Riddle :smileyrat: ,Ralph :dumbo: ,Roland :dumbo: ,Boots :teen: ,Bloo :teen: ,tilty Roobarb :teen: and the new babies Baldrick :baby: and runty Gaspode :dumbobaby:
R.I.P rainbow rats :rainbow: Missing Rooney already :(

jennifer-rat

Post by jennifer-rat » Fri May 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks for the reply - I bet Rooney is way more comfortable without that eye :)
I'm guessing he didn't need to be separated from cagemates after the op? And did he require any after op antibiotics? Puck will be the first rat I've had in surgery if he needs it so trying to get as much info beforehand as possible.
Jen, plus:
:dumbo: Puck, Pitri and Diesel
Remembered forever: Norman, Nesbitt, Scamp, Stuart, Jasper and Carrot.

not_ginger

Post by not_ginger » Sat May 07, 2011 7:39 am

I would think so. I look back at those photos and can't believe how big it was! :o

We didn't have the issue of seperating him from cagemates as we got him as a lone boy. By the time his quarantine was over, we'd had the eye removed. As it was intros for the first time we didn't start until it was nearly healed. It was so quick though - about a week! :)

There's loads of advice on here about post-op care. I know my vets infects ABs after sugery so we don't tend to give any extra. I've had boys neutered too, and they go in with a friend when I'm happy they're recovered from the op and aren't fussing with the wound.
*Angela*
And Ronan :smileyrat: ,Riddle :smileyrat: ,Ralph :dumbo: ,Roland :dumbo: ,Boots :teen: ,Bloo :teen: ,tilty Roobarb :teen: and the new babies Baldrick :baby: and runty Gaspode :dumbobaby:
R.I.P rainbow rats :rainbow: Missing Rooney already :(