Dribbling form mouth, and jerky head movements

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
ratfan70

Dribbling form mouth, and jerky head movements

Post by ratfan70 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi, I`m in a bit of a state i have come back from work to find my boy Diesel having what i thought was some sort of fit in the cage. I took him out and found he`s got loads of phorphoryn (sorry can never spell that) round his nose and eyes. He also is dribbling lots of saliva from his mouth, his chin is soaking wet. He is also making sort of jerking movements with his head, not the slow ones they have when they are choking, this looks more like a siezure type of movement. Hes got an appointment at 4pm for the vets but i wondered if anyone has had any experience of these symptoms before. He has hld and is 24 months. I`m pretty worried as he looks like he`s on his way out :(
Any advice before the vets would be most welcome!
mum/slave to Casper, Rico, Todd, Pepper, Louis, Riley, Cosmo, Alfie & Loki.

Missing my little ones at the bridge: Ziggy, Snowy, Buddy, Rocky & Diesel. RIP Boys!

vicster2208

Re: Dribbling form mouth, and jerky head movements

Post by vicster2208 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:07 pm

hope the vet goes ok!
Sorry i cant help! just wanted to pass on wishes!

From what you have described it does sound like choking but maybe it is something else, hope someone comes along to help soon!

Let us know how the vet goes xxxx

ratfan70

Post by ratfan70 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks for your good wishes, i have had a couple of incidents of choking but this looks different, it`s quite hard to explain. He has been eating and drinking but has lost weight lately, and has had hld for about a month. Hopefully the vet will have an idea, but as it`s a last minute appointment i don`t know which one i`ll see, am hoping it`s the good vet.

Missing my little ones at the bridge: Ziggy, Snowy, Buddy, Rocky & Diesel. RIP Boys!

vicster2208

Post by vicster2208 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Really hope it goes well and they can give him something to make him feel better! :)

My little guy has hld too! how is your little one doing now? he is still doing the same thing or has he settled?

Let me know how you get on! xxxx

KatieJ

Post by KatieJ » Tue May 10, 2011 3:19 pm

My boy recently choked and then pretty much immediately developed pneumonia because of it. Definitely get a good dose of AB's for him just in case that's what's happened and do a quick health search for pneumonia on the health forum here.

Also read up for symptoms/treatment here:
http://ratguide.com/health/lower_respir ... umonia.php
::Katie::
~Wisdom~Bounty~Sparrow~Sunshine~Arfur~Wilson~Deeks~Oakie~

ratfan70

Post by ratfan70 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Back from the vets, we saw a different vet, one i`ve never had before and he did admit he didn`t know an awful lot about rats, but he seemed really nice. He gave him a steriod shot to hopefully perk him up a bit, said he sounded a bit respy when he listened to his chest. He didn`t seem to know what exactly it is, but then i have no idea either, so won`t hold it against him. I`ve to take him back tomorrow to see the vet again.
At the minute he is sleeping, but still seems shaky and restless when awake. We will have to see how he goes.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

ratfan70

Post by ratfan70 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:28 pm

I have been doing a bit research on the rat health site, and it sounds like Diesel has a PT.
I will mention this to the vet but i have a horrible feeling that he will have to have help to the bridge, as i hate seeing him so listless.
He also nipped me earlier when i tried to clean up his face, which is totally unheard of, he`s such a softy.

AlienRat

Post by AlienRat » Tue May 10, 2011 6:34 pm

I wonder if this wasn't kidney failure related because neurological problems can occur when there is too much urea in the blood. If that was the case then ipakitine should help improve those symptoms. Could you take a urine sample to the vets to check for protein and blood, which are often a sign of kidney failure.
Sabby, RitaVonCheese, Jamie, Ethylene, Victor, Hector, Boris, Gunther

RIP: KimoCandyBenjaminNutbagChinaJeremiahChikinCletusMansonDieterCallistaFifiAlfieAliceGeorgeEvaJemimaPEPoxyAmaraTrixiSpookBuddhaMayaBuboDomdom BuffyWillowJeremy.II MicrobeJeremy

ratfan70

Post by ratfan70 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:56 pm

He has been on the ipakitine powder since i got it, about 10 days ago (roughly) i could try to take a urine sample to the vets if i can get one.
He`s also been on the senior aid, as i initially thought he had age related HLD, but he hasn`t shown any improvement unfortunatly. I`ve noticed in the last couple of days he`s struggled to hold things in his front paws and they look all curled up. It was only about 3 weeks ago i first noticed him walking funny on his back legs, but he seems to have gone downhill really quickly.Will see what the vet has to say.
Thanks everyone.

ps: Sabby at what age do you start giving senior aid to your rats, my middle boys are 18 months, do you think they will benefit from it.?

vicster2208

Post by vicster2208 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Hope you will find out more at the vets tomorrow!

keep us updated! sorry i cant be of more help, my thoughts are with you :love:

AlienRat

Post by AlienRat » Tue May 10, 2011 9:10 pm

18 months sounds a reasonable age to start senior aid. How much ipakitine do you give?

The curled hands doesn't sound very good I admit. :(
Sabby, RitaVonCheese, Jamie, Ethylene, Victor, Hector, Boris, Gunther

RIP: KimoCandyBenjaminNutbagChinaJeremiahChikinCletusMansonDieterCallistaFifiAlfieAliceGeorgeEvaJemimaPEPoxyAmaraTrixiSpookBuddhaMayaBuboDomdom BuffyWillowJeremy.II MicrobeJeremy