Q about Myco

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
msmara

Q about Myco

Post by msmara » Fri May 13, 2011 9:41 am

Yesterday I lost my 9 week old Yoji to what my vet believes is myco. He said it's not contagious but I wanna make sure as I'm supposed to be going to a show tomorrow & I don't wanna put anyone else's babs at risk. All my other boys are fine.
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

AlienRat

Re: Q about Myco

Post by AlienRat » Fri May 13, 2011 10:22 am

If it is myco then I wouldn't worry. Most pet rats (if not all all of them) carry it as it was shown to be passed on from the mother at birth. The infections to be wary of are SDAv and Sendai which are more virulent. If you are concerned, just take a shower and put on clean clothes that your rats have not touched and don't handle your rats just before leaving :)
Sabby, RitaVonCheese, Jamie, Ethylene, Victor, Hector, Boris, Gunther

RIP: KimoCandyBenjaminNutbagChinaJeremiahChikinCletusMansonDieterCallistaFifiAlfieAliceGeorgeEvaJemimaPEPoxyAmaraTrixiSpookBuddhaMayaBuboDomdom BuffyWillowJeremy.II MicrobeJeremy

zappa

Re: Q about Myco

Post by zappa » Sat May 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Myco doesn't usually cause symptoms in rats under 3 months old (according to NFRS website....)
Rat mum to lots of gorgeous rats, 2 dogs and 2 rabbits.

Breeding for healthy, friendly variegated rats. http://www.zapparats.co.uk