I honestly don't know whats wrong with my boy.

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
ErnieG!

I honestly don't know whats wrong with my boy.

Post by ErnieG! » Wed May 18, 2011 10:40 am

Last night, about 10pm I noticed Francis wasn't breathing right and he looked like he was about to pass on, he couldn't use his front poors, he was finding it hard to keep his head up and he seemed to hate me touching him at all. Then he perked up, so I fed him some food, gave him some water, and he seemed to perk up alot, and he was kept in the carrier all night with some food and water, when I checked on him this morning, he still seems very slow and tired, his breathing doesn't seem so bad, he didn't want to move or eat, or drink. He just seems to damn tired, and I can't understand, he really did seem to want to pass last night, but he's still eating and drinking.
He doesn't seem in any pain what so ever, which is why I haven't been to the vets.
But I have a new vet, so I just wanted to know what could be causing this before I go to the vets unknown about it all.
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

ErnieG!

Re: I honestly don't know whats wrong with my boy.

Post by ErnieG! » Wed May 18, 2011 11:49 am

Just to update, as I feel what happens from time to time is pretty important for people to understand and hopefuly understand.
I've just got him to my boyfriends, and he's had some cucumber and didn't touch his malt paste mix. It seems like he wont go ahead and eat unless it is pressent to him close enough that he can reach, his breathing is alot better now and is having a wash.

Something else I should have mentioned is that he has either kidney problems or HLD, he had two injections for this, the names I have sadly forgotten, so I can't help but think maybe something respritory as I know some steriods will lower the immune system, and he's been stressed out with his legs being that way, and he's ended up with pneumonia maybe.

If he doesn't seem well by tomorrow, or he stops being interested in food I will most certainly take him to the vets.

ETA: I don't know if it means anything, but he's 24/25 months old.

Eddy's mum

Post by Eddy's mum » Wed May 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Ah he's a poor thing... I've had a few rats that seemed like they were about to pass, but then I encouraged them to eat and drink and they perked up a bit. But then they both had strokes and seemed paralysed and in pain and had to be put down quickly as they were obvioulsy suffering. So now, I'm not sure what I'll do when it next happens - perhaps its sometimes kinder to let them pass quitely rather than offer the kind of intensive care I did. 2 years old is pretty good life span for a boy rattie...
Ratties: Mr. Julian Moon, Sebastian, Tirian & Tarly Tinker :love:
RIP: Bogey & Beany, Boris & Sergei, Eddy, Molly :rainbow:

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Wed May 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Eddy's mum wrote:2 years old is pretty good life span for a boy rattie...
Considering he is a pet shop rat aswell, yes it is a good age :)

Thanks for the reply!

worthysmum

Post by worthysmum » Wed May 18, 2011 10:11 pm

It does sound as if he may have had a stroke or aTIA. It would explain his symptoms and why he is now so tired. I hope he doesnt need the vet and if it is his time to pass I hope he does so gently in his sleep :love:
Love is....a dumbo rat

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Wed May 18, 2011 10:17 pm

So, if he did have a stroke, could he come back from this?
He seems himself, he seems healthy enough, he's eating drinking, just not moving about, he doesn't seem to want ratty company so I've been keeping him with me and in the carrier of a night, but he just seems to sleep most of the time.

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Sat May 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Well he's still with us, eating drinking and enjoying my company.
I'm just unsure about if he'll pull through, or he'll be like this until the end? Just because he is so tires, and with his HLD, he seems pretty fed up.
I've been keeping him in the carrier for a few days now, so he could get some rest, but now he's been like this since it happened, I'm not sure if I should pop him back in the cage?
I dont like repeating myself but, what are the chances of him pulling through this? I'm just so unsure about it as I couldn't find much in terms of that via searching.

Amez&Missy_Moo

Post by Amez&Missy_Moo » Sat May 21, 2011 4:11 pm

I didn't want to just read and run but I'm not sure whether he would pull through or not either. If you feel he still has quality of life then ultimately it's up to you in terms of what to do - no one else knows him better than you :).
From personal experience, when Missy had a stroke she didn't come back from it and shortly afterwards we said goodbye. With Reeves he had hld and was still getting around quite happily and enjoying himself for a good while a long with some intensive care from me such as hand feeding on his bad days, but then he also had a stroke and shortly after that I could tell he had had enough.
It is upsetting and I sympathise with you - I just think it comes down to how well you know your boy; if you still feel he has quality of life, give what you feel is best a try.
Hugs to you and your boy.
Solidus, Ocelot, RC, Zelda, Jaheira, Big Boss, Colonel, Otacon, Drebin, Mei Ling, Meryl, Sunny
Sleep tight Missy, Mortimer, Akiba, Reeves - we miss you lots xx

KatieJ

Post by KatieJ » Sat May 21, 2011 5:58 pm

I've absolutely no firm idea what's happening to your boy, but could it be related to his kidneys? Like maybe they're failing and not filtering his blood as well as they should and that's making him hugely lethargic? Having said that I've no idea what the treatment would be. Are there treatments the vet can give for that? Best of luck x
::Katie::
~Wisdom~Bounty~Sparrow~Sunshine~Arfur~Wilson~Deeks~Oakie~

GeekyGoth

Post by GeekyGoth » Sat May 21, 2011 8:20 pm

If you feel it is likely to be a stroke its really worth going to the vet and requestiong a shot of Dex, it can work wonders in strokes and ive had several come back from near paralysis and go on to live happily for between 2-6 months dependant on the rat :)
Whiskers In The Ear small animal rescue often has animals seeking forever homes.http://www.whiskersintheear.bravehost.com

Owned By The Fuzzy Hoards
Sweet dreams to all those at the bridge, Mummy loves you all

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Sat May 21, 2011 11:27 pm

KatieJ wrote:I've absolutely no firm idea what's happening to your boy, but could it be related to his kidneys? Like maybe they're failing and not filtering his blood as well as they should and that's making him hugely lethargic? Having said that I've no idea what the treatment would be. Are there treatments the vet can give for that? Best of luck x
Well, I've been treating him with ipakatine for his kidneys, so I'm not sure what else I can do.
But I should be going the vets on monday, so hopefuly she'll be able to tell me what else I can do for his kidneys, would a vet be able to tell if he's had a stroke?
I don't know any of the signs to be honest, so I'm not 100% sure it was a stroke, or a mini stroke, and can't find alot of the symptoms of after a stroke or TIA.

Another thing aswell is that he's been peeing alot, I cleaned the carrier out on Thursday and it was honking today I had to clean it out. I don't know if thats because I'm filling half his bowl with cucumber to make sure he's staying hydrated :roll: or it is his kidneys.

He seems to be doing great today, he just seems tired, thats all.
So I'm just not 100% sure about anything :(
Which is why I'v been so cautious about taking him to the vets with a new vets seeing him, I hate going un prepared, because I find it very hard to trust new vets.

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Tue May 24, 2011 6:28 pm

Well, I took him the vets, and pretty much wasted £45 on nothing.
The vet was useless, she didn't help at all, she had no idea what HLD was, or if we could test for kidneys, so I'll have to save up to get them from RW, she gave him two steroids, I did have them wrote down somewhere, I'll update with the names if I find them. So I still don't know what it is.

I got my wet mix from RR yesterday, and I've been trying to fill him up on food and water as much as I can, he went back in the cage after a while living with me and the carrier, and ended up in the sputnik and because he doesn't move anywhere to pee, his back was crusted and covered in wee, he's still not fully clean, but he's been in the carrier all day so he can eat his food in peace, otherwise the girls will snatch it, and so I can give him a clean, he loves being put under a small stream of tap water :hearts:
He's loosing loads of weight, I'm not happy with it, he's been loosing body weight and with his HLD muscle mass aswell, I don't know how much he weighs as the vets didn't weigh him, and I don't have anyway of getting his weight. So I might have to get some nutri-cal to put some weight on him, and because I'm being paranoid about him not being hydrated enough as he doesn't use the water bottle anymore, so all his water comes from cucumber and the wet food, how do I know if he is getting enough water? would it be worth getting some Dr Squiggles Guardian Angel?

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Sat May 28, 2011 3:31 am

Sorry to hear about Francis Emma, I've only seen one stroke, and that was the left side of her whiskers had stopped moving due to paralysis which conciquently she was PTS :\ you said he couldn't use his front paws then he was washing? It confused me a little here, I may had misread. The only things I can think of though to stop front paws can be PT and not wanting to eat in which I pray it's not for him. As for the peeing a lot, I'm not sure but if you're leaving the seeds in the cucumber I -think- it makes you urinate more I'm unsure. I really do advise you switch to the Halton View vets with John. :\ if nothing on here that doesn't help from what i've said, he would.
Rat lovin' since 2005. <3

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Sat May 28, 2011 7:32 pm

We're taking a down fall.
He's lost complete use of his legs tail and what seems lower body.
His breathing doesn't seem right, it's very heavy and labored, which might be due to the fact he's peeing himself.
When he is moving, which is very little he's on his side jerking his body up and dragging the other half, it's distressing to see.
This is partly my fault and I'm thinking I may have caused more problems than we already have, I didn't put the carrier door on the carrier (it was feeding time) and he must have managed to get out and throw himself down the bed onto the floor, it's not a long fall at all and there was nothing he fell on, thank god, so I don't think he hurt himself, but I can't help but think this could come back to haunt me.
I can't get him to eat or drink, he just seems to have given up. If he's still like this tomorrow I will have him PTS. It's horrible to watch him like this.

I don't know whats going on, he's just started jerking around the carrier, bashing himself on the sides, the only think I can think of is a seizure, I've never seen one before, but I think it was, he's now lying on his side, his breathing is heavy and there is no way I can get him to a vets, I don't drive and my parents have just left.
I'm so scared he's not gonna make the night.
ETA: He seems to have come around and is now bruxxing, not the good kind obviously.

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Sat May 28, 2011 8:12 pm

I'm really unsure if I should leave him in the carrier or pop him back in the cage?
ETA: I don't thin he is having seizure really.. he just seems uncomfortable and he's in some sort of pain.

I will try and get some metacam in him, he wont even take his fave veg cucumber :(
Last edited by ErnieG! on Sat May 28, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.