Nail clipping!!!!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
carlayeh

Nail clipping!!!!

Post by carlayeh » Tue May 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have any tips on trimming ratties nails? one of mine keeps her own nice and short but the other's are like sharp pins!
Its really making handling really hard cos I just end up being covered in scratches even though she's not doing it purposely.
we got some little clipper scissors from the pet shop but can't hold her still for long enough to get her feet and I'm scared of doing it fast and catching a toe and hurting her!
Carla
Mummy of Peanut, Poppy, Lunar & Princess Leia.

StormySkye

Re: Nail clipping!!!!

Post by StormySkye » Tue May 24, 2011 1:19 pm

I haven't had to do it yet because normally they manage to keep them down themselves but last few days one of my girls has gotten them quite long so I'll need to do it too... dreading it! I can imagine that you'd probably need two people to do it. Also, have some styptic powder (spelling?) on hand to stop the bleeding, or I think flour works as well... Hopefully someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong :)
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

Stevmic

Post by Stevmic » Tue May 24, 2011 1:20 pm

I've never had mine done but when I considered it I took them to the vet. I would have asked them to do it the first time and show me how...

Might be an option for you
Please, call me Mike :)

Vince :smileyrat: + Miles :smileyrat: + Eli :dumbo: +Griffin :dumbo:
R.I.P Blue :sadrat:

annc

Post by annc » Tue May 24, 2011 1:39 pm

I'm just starting doing them for my lot. Although Acrorats has closed down, at present Jules has a good video on the Acrorats site. Another useful thing if you go to any shows is to get one of the breeders to teach you! I find that I get more scratched than the vet if I have them done there. Sometimes you can wrap them in a towel or similar, but it can make them more wriggly!

Sometimes I use clippers designed for pets, but small clippers designed for babies and toddlers are just as good.

You may need to do one foot, or even less, at a time until they are used to it. Be prepared for squeaks - doing Bell's produces one squeak per nail! The main thing is to avoid the quick, or it will bleed, so it is important to be in a good light, and it is a good idea to have some Trimmex powder ready, although if you don't have that, cornflour or similar will do. You may like to run an emery board or nail file over them to make sure they are smooth.

Finish with a treat! If your rats are like my girls, they probably won't eat it until they are back in the cage! (I miss out on that when my own nails are clipped by a chiropodist!)
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

batty_rat

Post by batty_rat » Tue May 24, 2011 1:49 pm

I feel so lucky. My two 18 month olds never need their nails done as they keep them don themselves. But my oldie needs his done every week as they grow so fast and he's not as mobile as the other two. He's good as gold when we clip them (still a two man job as I find it wasier to get a good light if someone holds him up). Doesn't struggle or squeal. He just accepts it and licks me as I clip away! I think he enjoys it as I think he knows it makes him more mobile. I am so glad I don't have to do they other two. It would be hell let loose!
Rat mum from afar :cry: My boys are up in Scotland being doted on paw and claw.

Hekla: Keep up the good mess making :hearts:
Semper: Don't drive your dad too much up the wall, I need him sane when I see him :lol:
Fargo: Carry on loving :hearts:

vaaksi

Post by vaaksi » Tue May 24, 2011 8:32 pm

Clipping nails is quite easy if you just practise it a lot. Sharp nails are annoying and make my hands & neck itch, so I clip them.
Confidence and a firm grip helps. They know if you're unsure and they will take advantage of that. :halo:
I have over 20 rats and their nails need weekly clipping to keep them nice and short. Some of them will also squeal, struggle or try to run away in every possible situation. Clipping their nails certainly won't hurt them even though they don't like it.

Most of my rats have already learned how to behave. Junior females are always the worst. Then they start to grow up and learn. :)

annc

Post by annc » Tue May 24, 2011 9:05 pm

They definitely need clipping before a show! I was told that two gorgeous pet entries might have been placed higher if they hadn't clawed the judge with their long nails.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere

weeble

Post by weeble » Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Nergal and weeble need's their nails clipping, shaggy could do with it as well. We brought the nail clippers from P@H in all good intentions, but Nergal screams and wiggles, Weeble as already mentioned will NOT let us touch him (his the youngest of the lot) and Shaggy.... well shaggys just Shaggy, wiggles, tells me off and just behaves like a tot with a tantrum.
Were taking Nergal to the vets tomorrow as he has a lump, but I'm going to get the vet to clip his nails at the same time.

I will have to take Weeble there too, it just means getting him out of his cage and get the vet to hold him.... I'm not looking forewards to that :(
5 rats, 1 hamster, 1 mouse, 4 degus and fish tank
Please excuse my bad spelling in post's me Keyboard on laptop is trying not to die lol

carlayeh

Post by carlayeh » Wed May 25, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks everyone. Is there a particular way that I should hold her? My OH gets funny holding her too firm cos he thinks he's going to hurt her and she just wiggles uncontrollably!
I might pop her down to the vets and get them to do it and learn from them lol.
Carla

annc

Post by annc » Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 pm

I use my left arm to hold her up against my chest - head towards my elbow for hind feet and tail towards my elbow for front feet. As regards your husband hurting the rat, she's more likely to claw him!
Ann Clifton

carlayeh

Post by carlayeh » Wed May 25, 2011 9:17 pm

I nipped her down the vet this evening and got the nurse to clip her while I held her, with my OH there to watch.
I held her quite firm in both hands with a paw sticking out and once the nurse got snipping she stayed still, hopefully that means we can keep on with that, or it may have been a lucky fluke!! :lol:
Carla

icklepinkrat

Post by icklepinkrat » Tue May 31, 2011 1:13 pm

I find that it takes 2 people to do most of mine. A couple just sit still and let me get on with it, but a couple shriek and squeal as if i'm killing them! I always get my hubby to hold as i've got better aim! Don't be afraid to hold them firmly, as this will help you to avaoid removing a whole toe!!
:smileyrat: Rosie, Bella,Tinker, Peanut, Tilly :olddumbobuck: Bob, Sid, Cartman & Jynx

:rainbow: Marbles, Smudge, Poppy, Hooch, Rex, Patch, Bubbles

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:30 pm

Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

carlayeh

Post by carlayeh » Tue May 31, 2011 11:52 pm

Ah that is a good video, thanks. I'll try that technique next time! :D
Carla