Whats the Metacam dose please?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Muppet Rat

Whats the Metacam dose please?

Post by Muppet Rat » Thu May 26, 2011 10:40 am

Can some lovely informed person tell me the normal Metacam (cat) dose per kilo, in mls please? I tried calling the vets, but the person I saw didn't put it in the notes, so they won't give me any information without seeing the vet again, who isn't in till next week :angry:
The stupid bottle tells me the dose in mgs, and the syringe that comes with it starts at 2kg body weight (so thats useless). The leaflet says "0.5 mg/ml", and Rat Guide says "0.2 mg/kg", so do I dose roughly 0.05mls/kg? :oops: That sounds awefully low - a 300g fuzzie would be getting just over 0.01ml.

Package Insert for Cats wrote:maintenance dose of 0.05 mg/kg body weight.
God, I'm confused :rollred:
:olddoe:Tanny :rainbow: Crahn :teen: Sweeney Todd aka Whiskers :teen: Red5 :teen: Blue
:rainbow: Play hard: Smudge, Spot, Li'll One, Crawler, Paean, Minnie Moo, Spidey, Cocoa, Java, Wolfie, Tufty, Mara, Neo & Cron
The Real Muppet Rats

squeakrat

Re: Whats the Metacam dose please?

Post by squeakrat » Thu May 26, 2011 5:09 pm

I would give 0.1 -0.2ml of the dog metacam, which is 1.5mg/ml. So that would imply you should be giving 0.3- 0.6 ml of the cat version.

The Rat Health Guide has a range of recommended dosages, from 0.2mg/kg up to 2.0mg/kg, which is a huge range. But if you're dosing at 0.2mg/kg I calculate that you'd be giving 0.4 mls of metacam per kg. So minimum dose for a 500g rat would be 0.2mls, which doesn't seem too far out from my comparison to dog metacam above.
Jenny x
Vandal :rainbow: Bandit :rainbow: Squeak :rainbow:

pumpkin-head

Post by pumpkin-head » Fri May 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Willow was 300g and getting 0.6ml of the cat version. So I'm guessing 0.2ml per 100g?
my girls - ash, shadow & smudge
playing on the riverbank - oscar & wilbur; felix, pip & ralph; willow

HannahJ82

Post by HannahJ82 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Dog version is 0.2 mg/kg, so 0.1 mg per 500g of rat. I give a couple I'd drops usually and see how long it seems to last.
Hannah J

Tiny "Tots", Poe, Seth, Trumpet, Bugle, Sweep, Aniseed, Templeton, Mr Gosh, Vega, Pie, Zero, Pan, Aether, Raggamuffin.
RIP Rocky, Devy, Lump, Aleister, Loki, Jester, Flay, Sooty, Baby.

Muppet Rat

Post by Muppet Rat » Fri May 27, 2011 3:57 pm

Thanks for that :D It's been prescribed to reduce inflamation from a myco flair-up, so I'm going with quite a low dose - 0.3ml for a 500g girl, and 0.15 for the 230-280g girls. Do you think I should increas it? I went low, because they aren't really in pain, just discomfort from resp difficulties. Also, I didn't want to go too high with Tanny (the big girl), as she's geting on a bit, and Metacam isn't good for the kidneys (although, she isn't showing any signs of existing problems atm).
I'm really unsure about this, and I can't see the vet till Tuesday, so you help is really appreciated :hearts:
:olddoe:Tanny :rainbow: Crahn :teen: Sweeney Todd aka Whiskers :teen: Red5 :teen: Blue
:rainbow: Play hard: Smudge, Spot, Li'll One, Crawler, Paean, Minnie Moo, Spidey, Cocoa, Java, Wolfie, Tufty, Mara, Neo & Cron
The Real Muppet Rats

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Sat May 28, 2011 3:50 am

she's geting on a bit, and Metacam isn't good for the kidneys

I never knew that, don't want to hijack the thread, just want to say thank you for that information. :)
Rat lovin' since 2005. <3

Muppet Rat

Post by Muppet Rat » Sat May 28, 2011 11:21 am

Fennic wrote:I never knew that, don't want to hijack the thread, just want to say thank you for that information. :)
Not hijacking at all, it's relevant to the dose.
Ratguide.com wrote:Drug Interactions or Contraindications
Should not be given to pregnant or lactating animals.
Decreases the antihypertensive effect of ACE inhibitors.
Since many NSAIDs have the potential to produce gastrointestinal ulceration and bleeding, avoid concomitant use of meloxicam (Metacam) with other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or corticosteroids.
Do not use on animals with history of asthma, or suffering from gastrointestinal irritation and hemorrhage, impaired hepatic, cardiac, or renal functions.

Adverse Reactions
CNS: restlessness or lethargy
GI: loss of appetite, diarrhea, GI ulceration, fecal occult blood
GU: renal papillary necrosis, renal failure, albuminuria, frequent urination
Hepatic: elevated liver enzymes
Hematologic: anemia, elevated BUN and creatinine
Skin: pruritus (itching)
Metabolic: dehydration
Other: edema

Use cautiously in dehydrated, hypovolemic or hypotensive animals due to the potential for increased risk of renal toxicity.
I was pretty sure I had the dose roughly right, but I wasn't sure about my decimal point - it could have been 10x too much :o

Once again, thanks loads guys, for the reassurance :wink:
The Real Muppet Rats

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Sat May 28, 2011 12:28 pm

I would have thought a low dose would be fine for now, at least until you can check with the vet, so I'm sure they'll be fine with what they're on. :luck:

Not very helpful of the vet not to tell you what the dosage was though, especially as vets normally give you the dog version, therefore adding to the confusion!
Jenny x
Vandal :rainbow: Bandit :rainbow: Squeak :rainbow: