resp infection help please, getting bad.

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
lynz

resp infection help please, getting bad.

Post by lynz » Fri May 27, 2011 7:30 pm

hey there! i have an 18 month old girl with worsening resp problems, this is the 3rd time its been treated, it has usually cleared up with a course of baytril and steroid inj's. about 3 weeks ago her breathing became noisy again so i took her to get a steroid inj and that night she seemed to panic after she ate something, side sucking was bad and wasnt eating. i took her straight to vets the next morning and they gave her a diuretic shot. i also got some bisolvin powder. she seemed to be doing ok on the baytril/bisolvin but a week and a half later same problem happened. at the vets they said her lungs were clear now when they were crackly before so didnt think she needed another diuretic. she decided to give me prednisolone tabs and to start off at an eight daily and could increase to a quarter if needed, as she had responded well to the steroids. her breathing has become very noisy again over the last day or so so i upped the dose to a quarter tablet but she was side sucking/ breathing quick earlier but seemed to get better an hour or so later. i was at work so asked OH to keep an eye incase i needed to take her after work, shes now back to what she was like this morning :( she doesnt breathe noisy constantly, just sometimes. i have listened to her and cant hear any crackling in her lungs either. any help please on what to do next? she is eating yoggie drops and her food, but she has lost some weight, you can also see it in her posture.
bruce & his 2 bros! nibbles, pebbles, lola

sleep tight mummy rat 9/11/10, Bailey 9/12/10, Missy 28/1/11, Bob 31/1/11, Izzy 9/2/11, Dinky 7/3/11, Tink 13/6/11, Kizkiz 2/7/11
rip skitz, tumshie, dumbo, tubs, chino, oz's and all my childhood ratties