Tylan in water - Drink refusal

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Fennic

Tylan in water - Drink refusal

Post by Fennic » Sat May 28, 2011 3:07 am

Hi guys,

Been using Tylan in water over the past few days, 2ML to 100ML of water. Problem is, the rats seem to be outright refusing the water. It's just for one doe who's respy. He told me this is a new product that is usually used in pigs to treat Myco, I don't remember the name but it's yellow colored, (Looks like urine to be blunt) I think Tylan is the brand name, as what it says on the sticker of the bag I have the syringe in.

They seem to shove and push the water bottle around then go nuts for the bucks water bottle when offered. I'm really not sure what to do as shes not taking it, there is no way of syringing it into her mouth either as it's 2ML and a syrnge the thickness of a 2 pence coin in width, plus I don't think an entire 2ML would be safe in her in the first place, I don't know.

Can anyone advice me on this? I've never had water meds solution refused before and the search is down on the forum otherwise I would have looked prior to posting of course. :\

-Ashley

Edit: just checked, it seems they've drank 45ML of the water out of the 100 as theres around 55ML left upon about to change and leave some normal water in for the night until some advice is passed perhaps.
Rat lovin' since 2005. <3

Felix

Re: Tylan in water - Drink refusal

Post by Felix » Sat May 28, 2011 9:05 am

If it's putting them off drinking water I would use a different antibiotic. I'd never hear of tylan, but did a google on it and it seems to be related to zythromax - so perhaps you could ask the vet for that instead as it's much easier to administer. Good luck.

daffee

Post by daffee » Sat May 28, 2011 9:11 am

Dosing in water isn't recommended, because as you have found, it can put the rats off drinking, you can't control how much they get and when and you dose rats that don't need the drugs.

Ask yourvet what dose she actually needs and mix it into somethingtasty on a spoon instead :luck:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Sat May 28, 2011 1:51 pm

Just tried to contact the vet, surgery is closed until tuesday. I could have sworn they closed at 3PM, called at 2:30. Should I leave the meds completely on hold until tues then or..?

Felix

Post by Felix » Sat May 28, 2011 2:34 pm

I would call the vets on their emergency phone munber and ask how much she's supposed to have per day. maybe she doesn't need 2 ml, maybe they just said that because other rats were going to be sharing it? did the vet expect the 100 ml of water to be drunk in one day? an how many rats are in your group and did the vet know how many?

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Sat May 28, 2011 4:19 pm

We have 4 in the group. I don't have the vets emergency phone number unfortunately if I remember right they use a pager which I don't own one either. I believe they knew how many rats there are. They're using a hamster water bottle, it generally is drunk mostly in a day or so. The rats are rather small, only between max 400g or so.