Costs for lump removals

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Nemokid

Costs for lump removals

Post by Nemokid » Sat May 28, 2011 10:18 am

Hello again............

Just found out one of our other rats has also got what i think is a mammory lump...so thats two girls in two days :/

My question is, roughly, how much does it cost for lumps to be removed? I understand it varies but a general idea would be nice, as at the moment we dont have jobs so money is tight......

We do have money saved up for things like this, so we can afford it, but i panic and worry it will come to like a grand for two girls.

So how much do you all pay for lump removals?
Bangers, Mash, Beans, Cookie, Cream, Coco & Muffin

ratties1

Re: Costs for lump removals

Post by ratties1 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:47 am

hi,

sorry to hear you girls have a lump. i think i paid about £35 for a lump removal that was a couple of years ago now. wishing your girls good luck and hope everything turns out ok. ratties :)
My girlies Shadow and Pip. :D xx
R.I.P Beamer, Splinter, Midnight , Silver (gone to soon, r.i.p gorgeous girl) xx

New boys Seymour and Sebastion xx

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Sat May 28, 2011 10:51 am

The cost can vary massively from vet to vet. I know members on FR who pay as little as £30 for a lump removal, while others pay well over £100 for the same operation. My vet charges about £55 for a lump removal, but I'm not 100% sure on that figure (haven't had a lump removal in about a year now!).

If there are multiple lumps on the same rat, the vet will usually charge a bit more, but it won't usually be double the price. I think a double lump removal from my vet costs something like £75?... I can't remember what Ratty_Rhian paid for one of her girls to have a double removal. It was something like that.

Good luck, always get the surgery on lumps done ASAP, assuming the general health of the rat is good. If you can remove lumps when they are small, then the surgery will be less invasive, the recovery time will be better, and the vet has the best chance of removing all of the cancerous growth!

:)
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Sat May 28, 2011 11:44 am

Really does depend, I'm green with envy anyone who gets it less than £60 as I have to pay about £110 :lol:
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

Nemokid

Post by Nemokid » Sat May 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Is that for just the lump removal, or is it everything included?

Weve got two girls that need their lumps removing now, all in two days :| Theyve got vets on wednesday....

We've got about 400 quid spare, hope thats enough, our vet is quite expensive :/

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Sat May 28, 2011 12:13 pm

Mine is for the lump removal and meds afterwards, I am not sure if it includes a check up afterwards. It might do.
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)

Felix

Post by Felix » Sat May 28, 2011 12:14 pm

I pay around £100 per rat and that's all things like post op check up and stitch removal included.

The smaller the lump, the less it usually costs as it will take the vet less time.

daffee

Post by daffee » Sat May 28, 2011 12:17 pm

Ours are usually about £150
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

Nemokid

Post by Nemokid » Sat May 28, 2011 12:34 pm

Thankyou guys.

I was also wondering the smaller the lump the less the price?

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Sat May 28, 2011 12:40 pm

I knew I had it somewhere, the lump I was going to have removed was about the size of a marble. This was the estimated cost based on the consultation:

Estimated operation of lump:

GA: £39.60
Additional theatre time: £55.20
Drugs: £15.00

Totaling £109.80

Nemokid

Post by Nemokid » Sat May 28, 2011 1:02 pm

Thankyou Retro Lemon! Helped alot!

It just puts my mind at ease just getting some rough costs as i have no idea how much things would be :)

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sat May 28, 2011 1:07 pm

BasilTheRat wrote:The cost can vary massively from vet to vet. I know members on FR who pay as little as £30 for a lump removal, while others pay well over £100 for the same operation. My vet charges about £55 for a lump removal, but I'm not 100% sure on that figure (haven't had a lump removal in about a year now!).

If there are multiple lumps on the same rat, the vet will usually charge a bit more, but it won't usually be double the price. I think a double lump removal from my vet costs something like £75?... I can't remember what Ratty_Rhian paid for one of her girls to have a double removal. It was something like that.

Good luck, always get the surgery on lumps done ASAP, assuming the general health of the rat is good. If you can remove lumps when they are small, then the surgery will be less invasive, the recovery time will be better, and the vet has the best chance of removing all of the cancerous growth!

:)
Yep, that's correct. I was charged for one lump removal plus a half as only a little more anaesthesia was needed and the same post op check could be used for both lumps etc. so it was a fair compromise.

Back to the original question I doubt it should cost more than £120 each. You can always ask for an estimate beforehand but these things are never really hugely expensive like for dogs and cats.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Nemokid

Post by Nemokid » Sat May 28, 2011 1:15 pm

I will do when we go in on weds :)

Also, will they inject or gas to knock them out? I want to make sure they;re doing it correct...though they are rat savvy im feeling extreamly nervous about the whole thing

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Sat May 28, 2011 1:58 pm

Nemokid wrote:I will do when we go in on weds :)

Also, will they inject or gas to knock them out? I want to make sure they;re doing it correct...though they are rat savvy im feeling extreamly nervous about the whole thing
A good vet will use gas for the anesthetic, something called isoflurane, which was used in the UK up until recently for human anesthetics, so its proven to be very safe (though there are *always* risks in surgery...). Try and avoid vets who use injectable anesthetics, since the modern gas anesthetics are safer and better for the rat.
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

Nemokid

Post by Nemokid » Sat May 28, 2011 2:06 pm

okay thankyou very much!