Urgent - sick rat

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
StormySkye

Urgent - sick rat

Post by StormySkye » Sat May 28, 2011 11:57 am

Just went to take my girls out and Lily wouldn't come out of her box. She even refused treats, so I pulled her out and she's got porphyrin around her nose and stains on her neck. She's side-sucking (not badly, but still quite noticeable), she's fluffed up and bruxxing/chattering. She was a little quiet this morning, but seemed fine, and was eating a few hours ago.

Any idea what's causing something so sudden? She isn't sounding respy at all, no bleeding anywhere, I can't see anything visible at all.

What do I do? Just monitor her and try to get her to eat/drink something? Or should I call the vet? Only thing is it's nighttime where I am, so vet would be emergency/after-hours and not my usual vet.
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

StormySkye

Re: Urgent - sick rat

Post by StormySkye » Sat May 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Can someone please help me? I really don't know what to do, whether it'll pass or if I need to call the vet.

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Sat May 28, 2011 12:54 pm

It's incredibly difficult to judge the health of a rat from someone's description - you really have the be the judge here. If you're worried then you should take her, because you'll only regret it if you don't :love:

ETA or ring the vet and describe her symptoms, see what they say.
Last edited by MistressSadako on Sat May 28, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sat May 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Do you have any pain relief you can give her? Metacam or even children's Ibuprofen? You should keep her warm too. How is her movement?
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sat May 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Thank you both for replying, really appreciated :)
I've given her some pain relief, and she's been down my top for the past hour to keep her warm. She doesn't want to move much and is very slow. I managed to give her some baby custard so hopefully that'll perk her up a little.
I phoned the emergency vet, who was pretty useless, and just said give her some water with glucose or salt, and if she's still not right in the morning then to bring her in.
Thanks again for your replies.

little_rat_lover

Post by little_rat_lover » Sun May 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Just seen this - how's she doing today?

Unfortunately porphyrin and side-sucking can be symptoms of almost any problem with rats! Hope it's nothing serious :love:
Mummy to Chrissy, Bramble, Amber, Vodka, Riley, Monkey, Stumpy, Princess, Mr Arthur Wiggins, Pixie and Farren.

RIP: Rambo, Rue, Dill, Coconut, Faith Mischief and Bonnie.