Strange/dramatic breathing probs - please help!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
velvet_nothing

Strange/dramatic breathing probs - please help!

Post by velvet_nothing » Sat May 28, 2011 10:27 pm

I've just gotten back from the emergency PDSA clinic with my little lad Hamilton, but am still not entirely sure what happened with him tonight. The vet said it was most likely a resp problem and I have some baytril, but I wanted to post a vid on here as I've never seen this before. When it started to happen I thought perhaps it was choking or severe hiccups or something? The way he was gasping had me in an absolute panic!

You can't actually see Hamilton until about half way through the vid when he climbs on top of his hoojcube, and then you can quite clearly see the mouth-breathing that goes with the sounds. It lasted like that for about 5-10 minutes, then for another 20 mins or so the sounds got quieter and quieter and he lay on his side in the hospital cage I'd put him in looking exhausted :( He was a little colder and floppier than usual afterwards. If anybody has seen similar and knows what might have happened I'd be really interested to know - I'm quite worried about the poor lad and don't know what to do if it happens again.

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o152 ... CN1620.mp4

Jimi+Milo

Re: Strange/dramatic breathing probs - please help!

Post by Jimi+Milo » Sat May 28, 2011 10:51 pm

I dont have any advice unfortunately I've not seen that before, but poor guy :(.
Good luck :luck:
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

worthysmum

Post by worthysmum » Sun May 29, 2011 10:50 am

How distressing for you and him. I would think that it was a form of asthma attack. Do you know any one who has a ventolin inhaler you could scrounge incase it happens again. If he does do this again use the ventolin as soon as possible, wait for five minutes and then give him another whiff. If it is asthma type problem this will relieve it quickly. In any case it will do him no harm. I hope this was a one off and he is soon back to bouncing around.
Love is....a dumbo rat

nette

Post by nette » Sun May 29, 2011 10:57 am

thats exactly what i did with my inhaler and they were back to normal not long after so yes find someone who has an inhales and give 2 or 3 puffs into the mouth it did happen a few more times but again did the same with the inhaler and they were fine . good luck :luck:
love janette x
and all the ratties at Stillyrats Stud

http://www.freewebs.com/stillyrats

velvet_nothing

Post by velvet_nothing » Sun May 29, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks guys, that's interesting; I hadn't known rats could have asthma attacks! I have a ventolin inhaler myself (rat allergies :lol: :oops: ) so I'll bear that in mind if it does happen again.

After an hour or so of resting in the small cage last night he gobbled up his baytril in some food and seemed perfectly active and happy again, and his breathing was completely normal. An asthma attack would make more sense than a traditional resp problem as he's not had more than the odd crackle and is generally silent. I'm so relieved he seems okay again now! :D

nette

Post by nette » Sun May 29, 2011 11:19 am

if it had been his chest then it would not clear up that fast so asthma sounds the case if you have a inhaler then great and it shouldnt happen that often so fingers crossed he will have no more attacks .
love janette x
and all the ratties at Stillyrats Stud

http://www.freewebs.com/stillyrats