Red urine

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
icklepinkrat

Red urine

Post by icklepinkrat » Sun May 29, 2011 10:36 pm

This evening I noticed that Tilly (approx 10 months) is passing red urine. Is this likely to be a bladder infection? I will be booking a vet appointment for her, but is the vet likely to prescribe the usual baytril or something different?

Thanks in advance!
:smileyrat: Rosie, Bella,Tinker, Peanut, Tilly :olddumbobuck: Bob, Sid, Cartman & Jynx

:rainbow: Marbles, Smudge, Poppy, Hooch, Rex, Patch, Bubbles

StormySkye

Re: Red urine

Post by StormySkye » Mon May 30, 2011 7:51 am

It is most likely blood causing the red, but you probably guessed that already :wink: It could be just an infection, but you need to consider the possibility of pyometra, because that is fatal if untreated. Just have a look at these articles to see if she's got any of the other symtoms just in case; http://www.rathealth.co.uk/articles/pyo.html and http://www.ratscallions.co.uk/RatCare/P ... metra.html
Might not be this, but always better to be aware of it just in case :luck:
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

icklepinkrat

Post by icklepinkrat » Mon May 30, 2011 5:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty confident it's not pyo as I've had 2 girls in the past with that. The blood is defiantly coming from her urethra. My vet is usually willing to try alternative treatments, but is it best to start with baytril or to try something different to hit it hard?
:smileyrat: Rosie, Bella,Tinker, Peanut, Tilly :olddumbobuck: Bob, Sid, Cartman & Jynx

:rainbow: Marbles, Smudge, Poppy, Hooch, Rex, Patch, Bubbles

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Mon May 30, 2011 6:57 pm

One of my rescue's came passing blood in her urine. It was like pale pink so it was obvious that it wasnt a high percentage of blood. I put her on a strong course of Baytril initially (as well as switching her onto a kidney friendly diet) and I found the blood lessened. It was the one time i appreciated getting scent marked :lol: and now she doesn't pass blood :)
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts: