Strange noise (with recording).. what is it?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
StormySkye

Strange noise (with recording).. what is it?

Post by StormySkye » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:28 am

My girl Lily is ill at the moment and the vet isn't sure what it is. Her lungs are clear and sound good apparently, but we put her on baytril to clear any possible infection, but she's not improving. And now she's started making a bizarre noise... the best way to describe it is a cross between a hen and a duck, only in time with her breathing..

I managed to get a recording of it, and you can really hear it clearly from about 10 seconds on.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhXc8AyDbJs She's only 8 months old :( I'll be getting in touch with the vet again, but any advice/comments beforehand are greatly appreciated!
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

ScattieMcRattie

Re: Strange noise (with recording).. what is it?

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:45 am

i'd recognise that as the sound of a ratty with respitory problems it deffinately sounds a bit bubbly to me, if had a few ratties with resp issues i recognise that sound. its good the infection doesnt seem to have got to her lungs perhaps the infection is still in the nasal passages, causing the snuffling and sneezing as the nose is blocked with mucus, is there any clear discharge from the nose, i think i heard a sneeze before the heavy snuffling.

my suggestion would be to still acrry on with the anitibiotics as if it goes down onto the chest it will be a nightmare to clear

any one else have anythoughts, i'm not really an authority in health issues
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

elerrina

Post by elerrina » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Definately a respiratory infection as poster above said. My girls had this same sound and the baytril didnt seem to clear it up at all so we had ronaxan instead (doxycycline i think that is) How much is s/he on at the mo?

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:07 am

She's only on 0.1 of baytril split into two smaller doses, which isn't enough as she's 200g. I can't get in touch with my vet until Monday, and the only other vet is a bit... "its just a rat" attitude, although he didn't actually say it, you can just tell. :'( Would it be wise to up the dose myself, until I can see my vet on Monday?

Nemokid

Post by Nemokid » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Deffinatley dose yourself, just up it to 0.1ml twice a day :)
Bangers, Mash, Beans, Cookie, Cream, Coco & Muffin

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Great, thank you :D