Henry- the ongoing saga continues...

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
izzerie

Re: Henry- the ongoing saga continues...

Post by izzerie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:37 am

Well we've seen the vet and I am very pleased :)

She pretty much agreed with everything I said and wanted. She agreed that his immune system is probably under a massive strain and not winning at the moment and that if he has any chance of surviving he's going to need help clearing his back up. However she was reluctant to put him on all three antibitoics as she was worried about the possible damage to his gut and then leaving him vulnerable to further infection. So we've decided he should have synulox for his back and doxy for the respy issues and if things don't improve then we will add the baytril back in. She was also reluctant to give him a bronchial dilator as the respy issues are still in his upper respiratory tract and she doesn't want to open the airways and allow the infection to travel down. So she recommended steaming him when he sounds laboured to help him out. We are also going to continue with the doxy for 28 days.

So I am very happy, he has what I wanted him to have and the vet was really receptive, I think she was pleased that I bought him with ideas rather than expecting them to know what to do next :)
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

sati18

Post by sati18 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:32 am

^^^ Brilliant news - so pleased for you guys :-)

Sounds like you got a much more helpful vet this time!

It seems odd to me that he could have laboured breathing and be quite so ill with purely an upper respiratory infection - that's something i would usually associate as a symptom of it being more a lower respiratory problem. But i'm defintiely no hot shot on the anatomy! If you speak to your vet again for an update would you ask them more about it? Just cos i'm nosy :-P

I assume they had listened to his lungs then and pronounced them clear?

anyway best of luck to Henry - really hope that this sorts it for the poor little man :love:
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Yes his lungs are clear :) I have been surprised with how severe his illness has been and that his lungs have not been affected at all. But then I guess if he was already fighting an infection in his back then it had a chance to take hold and affect him more severely than it would have done if he wasn't already fighting an infection? I guess it's like humans, if your immune system is compromised in some way even the smallest infection will be nasty.

Here's hoping this new combination is better for him :)
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley

sati18

Post by sati18 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:15 pm

^^^ defintiely- well you can certainly thank god for small mercies that it hasn't reached his lungs- and likewise i really *really* hope this helps the little man.

I'm sure you will anyway but please keep posting updates- how is he feeling today?
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:25 pm

Today he is not that great but certainly not as bad as he has been. He's still eating and drinking but he's been sleeping a lot and his noises have been the worst they have ever been today, as has his back. But the fact he is still eating and drinking and he has been up and about is good and along with the new meds I'm hoping that this will be what he needs to be my little Henners again :)

Henry resting in his new hammock today:

sati18

Post by sati18 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:34 am

Awwwww :love: what a little stud muffin :hearts: hope he feels a bit more perky today and carries on eating xx

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 am

Didnt get a chance to update yesterday as life was a little hectic! Henry wasn't much better yesterday, he's stills just as noisy and not as active but he is still out and about a bit and eatingand drinking.

His back however is worse- I took a pic of it because I managed to get him to sit still:
The raw area continues on under his fur either side for at least another centimetre and it coninues down the bottom under the fur as well.

I know it's going to take a few days for the antibiotics to work again but i'm wondering if it's too late now and his immune system just can't cope :(

Also, Henry is now refusing meds. It doesn't matter what I put them in, he won't eat them. Last night I ended up syringing them in which he hates and half of it dribbles down his chin. He's been on meds of some description for a month now and I think he's had enough...

annc

Post by annc » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:51 pm

He believes that any food out of the cage is "poisoned" with antibiotics! It's horrible to have to syringe the medicines in, but it can be hecessary, His back wound looks much like Roland's, which healed with antiseptic powder and aloe vera gel. Manuka hiney is also very good - but if he is with others, they will lick it like mad! His healed slowly, and as he was a roan,left him with a white triangle in the middle of his grey!
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Update for Wednesday 8th June :)

Henry has made some improvement today! He has been less noisy this evening and even had a couple of patches where he was quiet (not for long though). His back is still very nasty but doesnt look like it is getting worse, in fact I think it *may* be a little better today as well.

He still won't eat med laced food so I had to syringe the synulox in this evening but he ate his doxy mixed up in malt paste. The little monkey won't eat it off a spoon though, he'll only eat it off my finger! :roll:

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:46 pm

Glad to hear he's doing somewhat better :)
I hope you get the infection sorted soon, poor little chap!
izzerie wrote: The little monkey won't eat it off a spoon though, he'll only eat it off my finger! :roll:
Mine are all like this with meds :oops:
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

sati18

Post by sati18 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:57 am

Thanks for the update- sorry i've not been in to check up on him this week- am on holiday in spain at the moment! :D i'm not sure why his wounds might get worse initially after starting treatment but it takes a good 3-4 days for the antibiotics to be able to start fighting the infection, can be longer if it's really bad before you see improvement. as you have said it looks like it wasn't getting worse after wednesday... i'm hoping that you will by now be seeing a small improvement? That is a nasty wound so i would imagine it's going to take quite a long time to heal anyway, poor sausage :-(

my rats hate synulox- i have better luck using the palatable drops but a lot of people say their rats don't like them either so it's probably best to just keep doing what you're doing. a couple of suggestions though- if your using the tablets i find them very difficult to crush (theres always bits in there that the rat can crunch on and get a horrible taste), but they dissolve really well in water so try mixing them with a couple of droops of water, before whatever else you're doing to hide it.

also, how is he about takings treats in the cage? He may know now that food on a spoon = meds in which case making something up like the peanut balls (link to instructions below) can be a good tactic. i usually make them up with nutella and make some non medicated ones up as well and give those to the oher rats.... that way they're all getting one and it looks like a treat not meds- plus the knowledge that his buddies could finish theirs and steal his makes rats eat really quickly :lol:

have a look and see what you think of the recipe.... i'm hoping that he's improving since you haven't updated in a couple of days x
http://ratguide.com/meds/figures/giving ... gure_1.php

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:40 am

Sorry, had a busy day yesterday so couldn't update.

Henry's back is definitely being to look better- it's stopped weeping and is being to dry out which is good. It's appearance looks less gory as well :) He is less noisy as well, he still has periods where he is very loud but the soft hooting he began to make when he sleeps has almost gone and he does have some periods where he is silent :)

So definitely improving!

As for meds, he's not too bad at taking his synulox via syringe, we have got the palatable drops which probably helps. He takes his doxy really well in malt paste, licks it right off my finger! I'll take a look at the recipe a bit later, gotta get to work- just wanted to post and update :)

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:54 am

Well my little super star continues to make improvements!

These pics are of Henry's back yesterday evening (please excuse the shadow, my light was right above me so very hard not to get a shadow in the pictures!):

So much improved as well!

His noises are also improving still, they are still as frequent but not as loud, they only get really loud during med time when he's stressed and he seems to settle quite quickly :)

Well done Henners! :D

sati18

Post by sati18 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:17 pm

aww bless him yes that does look much better :-) what a little star!

Yay!!

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Henry has come on leaps and bounds this weekend. One side of his back is almost healed and the other isn't that far behind. His noises are much less frequent, sometimes you'll hear something from him but there's more silence than noises now. I am so pleased, it just proves that the combo he's on is what he needs :)

A picture of a very sleepy (but much better!) Henry enjoying his hammock. Hubby said that just after he took this pic Henry randomly boggled and then went to sleep!