Elderly rat has bad eye and swollen face.

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
rrrrrrats

Elderly rat has bad eye and swollen face.

Post by rrrrrrats » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi there, I wondered if anyone would be able to tell me what is wrong with my pet rat named Reggie.
Reggie is about two and a half and one of his eyes has been bulging yet he is still himself, however when I saw him today the side of his face is swollen, the same side as his bulging eye. I am unsure what to do.
I would be very greatfull for any help/advice, many thanks.

angiee-w

Re: Elderly rat has bad eye and swollen face.

Post by angiee-w » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Hey, does it look like this by any chance?

when i came home from work today it looked a lot worse than what it had been, i'm not sure what it is either so i'm kinda hoping our boys have something similar :-?
<3 Eddie, Tiffany, Iris, Bluebell, Callie, Pearle <3
<3 RIP Boston Grace Molly Percy <3
.. This wont be a goodbye, but i will see you some day soon

Felix

Post by Felix » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:52 pm

You need to get Reggie to the vets asap.
Good luck

sati18

Post by sati18 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:50 pm

seconded on the vet definitely. The first few things that spring to mind would be:

1. infection of the eye (very plausable- he could have scratched it or something)
2. some sort of facial abscess- seems a bit less likely if he's not acting under the weather
3. Pituitary tumour- again less likely if he's still acting fine and healthy otherwise.

my guess would be conjunctivitus.... have a read of this link which gives info on symptoms, treatments and dosages
http://ratguide.com/health/eyes/conjunctivitis.php
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

flash-gordonette

Post by flash-gordonette » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:58 pm

My Bear had an enormous facial abscess that popped up over night, and he acted no differently and maintained a healthy appetite si it could be that!

Bear was sorted after a fortnight of ABs :luck:
Michelle- aka Mommy to: Ivory Coast :dumbo: Jeremy Ruffles :smileyrat: Rodney Hood :dumbo: Willy Whiskers and :dumbo: Barry Role :smileyrat:

:hearts: Mr Gregory Bread :dumbohalo: Billy Bear :dumbohalo: :hearts:

sati18

Post by sati18 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:01 pm

^^^ really? i've only had experience of a couple of abscesses but both times the rat has acted a bit mopey and under the weather.... every rat is different i suppose :)
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

annc

Post by annc » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:31 pm

I would certainly recommend seeing a vet as soon as possible. It could be from an eye scratch - in which case he could need drops or ointment, but my rats with facial abscesses were still lively. Synulox is particularly good for that.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.