Desperate for advice constant biting

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
lpt100

Desperate for advice constant biting

Post by lpt100 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi,

We woke up this morning to find one of our rats constanly walking in circles (she's on phenobarbital to control seziures) we didn't give her the morning dose and took her straight to the vets, who said as we suspected that it was probably a PT. :-(. but gave her a shot of Steroid and us some to take home to give her along with some antibiotics. She stopped the walking in circles but is now constantly (i mean non stop, if she lets go of one thing she bites the nearest other thing be it her hammock, cage or body) biting everything.

Is she in pain? > We've given her some calpol so not to mix metacam with the steroid but no reduction
Is this an affect of a tumour?

Spent all day with her trying to stop her chewing herself. .

Will the biting improve or should we have her PTS? :-(

Thanks for any help
RIP Lib Lib & Rosie

Reb70

Re: Desperate for advice constant biting

Post by Reb70 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Sorry, I don't really know what advice to give but didn't want to read and run. I do hope she gets better, but it does sound like she is not right, and I would get her checked by the vet again asap. :luck:
Rattie boys; Coastboat 'Giant 1 kg Ozzy' and his brorat Rambo, silly Mr.Figgles, & baby Kevin and Morris.

mcfadyen

Post by mcfadyen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:14 pm

I've seen this behaviour in a previous doe of mine - Sky. She was biting everything in front of her, she was uncoordinated and not 'with it' at all, though was upright and moving. She was being treated for a PT and the vet suspected a tumour on the brain. Sky was obviously distressed, though she wasn't showing any of the usual signs of pain (no body contortions or fluffed up fur). We agreed with the vet that it was kinder to let her go :(

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks for the replies but our precious little Rosie rat just died in our arms. :halo:
RIP Lib Lib & Rosie