Boys with abscesses forming under neck

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Werepuppy

Boys with abscesses forming under neck

Post by Werepuppy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Both Kamina and Viral have developed small to medium sized abscesses under their necks, Viral has had it before as well as Simon but this is Kamina's first. Is it just a coincidence that they all seem to be forming them around the throat or is this something that happens to boys? I know a friend is having similar problems with boys having abscesses keep popping up.
I usually wait for them to pop and clean them using hibiscrub, and they always heal up without any trace of the abscess, then perhaps a week to a month later they'll get another one in the same area.

I'm wondering if its because of them scrapping a lot and being boys not washing themselves properly and getting a small bite infected or something? But I cannot see any bite marks on the neck, and its just infuriating... its not just a case of an abscess reforming, because its happening to more than one rat all in the same spot.
My rats: Possum, Tasmania, Henna, & Trinity!
And lastly my kitties; Neko & Oliver.
RIP Toffee, Inky, Boota, Balthazar, Lady Serenity & Rosetta :dumbohalo:

daffee

Re: Boys with abscesses forming under neck

Post by daffee » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:56 pm

If it's happening to more than one rat it's likely you've got a bacteria infection in the group. It might be worth getting the pus tested and then blanket treating everyone with a suitable antibiotic while thoroughly disinfecting the cage to see if that gets rid.

:luck:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:37 pm

daffee wrote:If it's happening to more than one rat it's likely you've got a bacteria infection in the group. It might be worth getting the pus tested and then blanket treating everyone with a suitable antibiotic while thoroughly disinfecting the cage to see if that gets rid.

:luck:
Wouldn't this mean the girls could get it too? The boys cage lives on top of the girls so I can't understand how the boys are only getting the problem and not the girls.... :-|

daffee

Post by daffee » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:36 pm

I wouldn't expect it to spread outside of the group. My understanding is they probably spread through poo so they'd need to be in close contact.
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:44 pm

daffee wrote:I wouldn't expect it to spread outside of the group. My understanding is they probably spread through poo so they'd need to be in close contact.
Ahh right thank you for that. I'll speak to the vet on Monday about it when they're open again. Good job I only have a group of 3 boys I guess >_>;
I do have some baytril that I'm giving Serenity for her mucky lungs (possibly pneumonia/similar symptoms) and have started giving to Tasmania too due to her starting to get a case of grunties. So should I start to treat them now with that until I can get them to the vets?

daffee

Post by daffee » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:25 pm

I wouldn't bother until you know which AB is most likely to have an effect.

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:54 pm

daffee wrote:I wouldn't bother until you know which AB is most likely to have an effect.
Alright, thank you. I'm just used to baytril being the all-round antibiotic for most infections....

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:44 pm

It's also worth checking out what bedding your using. And if this started when you introduced a new batch. I've heard of a couple runs of glandular abcesses (neck and preputial gland are the common places) from a bad batch of litter/ bedding, though I would expect it to effect the girls too. Would recommend synulux for abcesses if you can get it, seems to work well on most abcesses.
If you get the gunk tested it will give you a sensitivity test which will let you know the best to use.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:14 pm

I think it spouts back to some rescues my ex-housemate took in actually, since Balthazar had 2 neck abscesses before he was pts due to pt and one of the other rescues had similar abscesses too. I took in Balthazar into my group so I think that might've been the initial cause!
The vet did say that when rats get an infection it quite often gets drawn into the glands as thats how their immune system works.
The vets said they won't try any other antibiotics until baytril has been tried, as they're required by law to prescribe medicine licensed for rats before trying any unlicensed meds :/
Fingers crossed this will do the trick, if not I'll suggest Synulux to the vets as an alternative treatment.

sati18

Post by sati18 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:46 am

^^^^ Synulox would be a better option than baytril- baytril is realy not ideal for skin/tissue infections as it has limited/variable effectiveness against staph and less penetration into tissue.
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:58 am

Hi, in humans, abcesses have walls that antibiotics don't tend to get through hence we get meds with clavulanate to break down the wall - dunno if this is the same in rats - ask a vet? Also i think it depends how deep the abcesses are and how they heal, if they burst and heal leaving a space under the 'healed bit' :-| puss will just form again.
RIP Lib Lib & Rosie

sati18

Post by sati18 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:59 am

^^^^ Hence the Synulox :lol: it's a combination drug (Amoxicillin Trihydrate/Clavulanate Potassium , Amoxicillin Trihydrate/Clavulanic Acid)
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:09 pm

ingenious :lol:
RIP Lib Lib & Rosie

rattycorner

Post by rattycorner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:25 pm

I've got a cage of girls that are getting neck abscesses at the moment. I have only realised this past weekend that we have a problem, but I had something similar a couple of years ago too. I eventually got rid of that by closing the group and waiting until they all passed on, but it was a very upsetting experience.

The abscesses typically form, then a patch of skin over the top dies off and breaks off around the edges allowing the abscess to drain. Eventually the dead patch sloughs off and the abscess heals from the edges inwards.

My records of the group's problems are here - http://www.rattycorner.com/articles/abscesses.shtml - I'll add the results of the lab tests there when I get them.

Rootigger

Post by Rootigger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:54 pm

I think one of my girls may have developed something similar - what does a neck abscess usually look like? Overnight a pea-sized lump appeared on her throat, like an Adam's apple, and has pretty much stayed the same since (about 2 weeks). There's no sign of any wound, no broken skin, nothing. I presumed it would swell, scab and burst if it was an abscess - how long would that normally take?
:hearts: Owned by Daisy, Sweetpea, Teasel and Willow :girly:
Never forgetting Lily and Clover :rainbow: