re-treating my girl antibiotic question

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Gaskinmoo

re-treating my girl antibiotic question

Post by Gaskinmoo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:27 pm

A few weeks ago one of my rats (meg) started making some warble sounds etc and the vet prescibed baytril 2.5% (0.2ml) twice a day for 4 days. It worked and cleaned up her lungs. The infection seems to have come back with avengence... I have some medicine left and am just wondering if its ok to give her another course of 3-4 days to try and clear it up or is it to soon after the last course of meds... any help/input will be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers
Mark :)

My Girls = Willow (alpha), Coconut (fat lump), Meg (trouble) and Bramble (madam)

zappa

Re: re-treating my girl antibiotic question

Post by zappa » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:32 pm

If you have leftover antibiotics you could start regiving them until you get to the vets, but I would say that 4 days is way too short a course. So I would go back to the vet for a longer course.

Hope things improve soon :)
Rat mum to lots of gorgeous rats, 2 dogs and 2 rabbits.

Breeding for healthy, friendly variegated rats. http://www.zapparats.co.uk

Gaskinmoo

Post by Gaskinmoo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks zappa, I shall giver her the same dosage as prescribed before and get her to the vet on tuesday :)

My Girls = Willow (alpha), Coconut (fat lump), Meg (trouble) and Bramble (madam)

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:59 pm

I would start her on what you have left until you can get to the vets. If the infection seems worse than before you could also ask for some doxycycline- it works well with baytril for respiratory issues :)
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

Nemokid

Post by Nemokid » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:02 pm

14 days is the minimum time they should be on anti biotics, but if possible 28 days is usually best.
Bangers, Mash, Beans, Cookie, Cream, Coco & Muffin

sati18

Post by sati18 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Nemokid wrote:14 days is the minimum time they should be on anti biotics, but if possible 28 days is usually best.
Agreed- 4 days is far too short. just enough time for the antibiotic to start fighting the infection which reduces the symptoms but nowhere near enough to clear it completely which is why it's come back so quickly. be very careful of continuing to give shot courses like this because bacteria become resistant to baytril very quickly and it's probably the best one avaiuable for treating mycoplasma- you really don't want to waste it so early on.

far better to give a very long course and ensure you get properly rid of the infection or you'll end up dealing with intermittant but increasingly difficult to get rid of episodes of respiratory disease.

adding doxycycline may be a good idea if a full 3 week course is completed and the infection still returns, but do the longer course first definitely.
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

sati18

Post by sati18 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Hey have you an update for us? how is she doing? did the vet agree a longer course?
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

Gaskinmoo

Post by Gaskinmoo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Sorry for late update, been very busy. I'm pleased to say that all my girls seem to be doing fine and the treatment worked. Although they are being very lazy in this hot weather we are having but as long as they are healthy and happy.... I'm happy :) Thanks for all your help :)