Does your vet charge per rat?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
!anna!

Does your vet charge per rat?

Post by !anna! » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:59 pm

For consultations when you take more than one rattie at a time? I'm talking just the consultation fee, not meds.
I ask because I am going to be taking two of my older four boys for a check on some resp issues soon, and since they're all coming up to the 18 month mark soon I thought it'd be a good idea to get them a general check up.

I wondered if your vets tended to see your rats as a group, or as individual animals?
Currently a slave to - Jack, Viktor, Bill, Ben, Monty and Harry

:halo: Toby, Alex, Bobby and Charlie, :dumbohalo: Tom, Oscar, Sid, Olly, Boris and Theo

ErnieG!

Re: Does your vet charge per rat?

Post by ErnieG! » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:08 pm

My last vet, that I was with for months charged me just the one, even if I took four in, I was dead made up with it.
But recently a new vet in the same center charged me two, when I took three in and my bill ended up at £45 when the last vets with the same meds cost only £30 :o
I know it's only a £15 difference, but £15 goes a long way with me now-a-days.
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

little_rat_lover

Post by little_rat_lover » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:18 pm

My vets seem to charge per group - I normally take in 2 rats anyway for company, I've only ever taken in 1 extra but never been charged for that. And my extra ratty always gets a cuddle - sometimes I've booked in 2 and again only been charged 1 consult too.

If taking in 4 I'd mention it though just so they know and can allow extra time if needed :)
Mummy to Chrissy, Bramble, Amber, Vodka, Riley, Monkey, Stumpy, Princess, Mr Arthur Wiggins, Pixie and Farren.

RIP: Rambo, Rue, Dill, Coconut, Faith Mischief and Bonnie.

Nemokid

Post by Nemokid » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:56 pm

ours charge per rat sadly...
Bangers, Mash, Beans, Cookie, Cream, Coco & Muffin

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:17 am

I generally take as many rats that are in the group whenever I go to the vets, rather than just picking out the ill one and a friend. That's more because, in the past at least, I've had a small group size, and it means that they keep up with regular travelling (I like my rats to think that's a usual part of life). I never take just a single rats to the vets - companionship while travelling and in a place that probably stinks of disinfectant etc. is much more reassuring etc.

I've never been charged for asking for more than the specific ill ones (max I've had of them in a group has been 3) to be prodded. I'd be a little surprised if they did tbh. Vets usually do by consultation appointments, rather than numbers of animals for small sociable pets. I quite often chuck healthy rats at vets so that they can be reaquainted with healthy rats, see healthy weights etc. Must be a bit depressing to mostly see animals who aren't in full health :lol:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

little_rat_lover

Post by little_rat_lover » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:27 am

Hmmm thinking again and reading the above, I'd definitely phone, don't want you expecting £15 or £30 plus meds and ending up with £60 + meds!
Mummy to Chrissy, Bramble, Amber, Vodka, Riley, Monkey, Stumpy, Princess, Mr Arthur Wiggins, Pixie and Farren.

RIP: Rambo, Rue, Dill, Coconut, Faith Mischief and Bonnie.

!anna!

Post by !anna! » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:29 am

I am certainly going to ring and check first, I just wondered what the general rule was but it seems to vary a lot!
In the past I've had one booked in and asked for the other to have a quick check and always felt rather cheeky and found the vet seemed a bit put out, but this time there'll be four so a phone call definitely needs to happen beforehand I think.
Currently a slave to - Jack, Viktor, Bill, Ben, Monty and Harry

:halo: Toby, Alex, Bobby and Charlie, :dumbohalo: Tom, Oscar, Sid, Olly, Boris and Theo

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:08 am

My vets charge per but rat but they do a reduce rate for the other animals. So it's £11 for the first and £8 for the others. Also, if it's a second visit within a certain amount of time or for the same problem then you are charged the reduced fee as well. I thought that was quite reasonable!
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

daffee

Post by daffee » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:19 am

It depends how many we're tAking in and what the problem(s) is but ours wouldn't charge a full fee for each rat. When we've taken several with the same problem it would usually be one consult. When there's several with different issues that might take longer to deal with it would usually be one consult and one follow up fee.
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

teresaisaacs

Post by teresaisaacs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:32 am

I get charged a half consultation per visit, which is £14. I could take in 5 rats and get charged the Same as taking in one rat. I do get a discount on meds if I am needing more than one product though. :hearts: although, lately I have been in the vets allot recently! :lol:
Things that don't kill us only make us stronger... battle on through, you will surprise yourself.
:hearts: http://www.mums-rendez-vous.co.uk - forum for mothers :hearts:

Blue Dragon

Post by Blue Dragon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:46 am

I get charged the same reguardless of how many I take. But saying that there's rarely a time that more than one is ill and the others are usually for company. The odd occation that more than one has been ill at once I haven't been charged extra either. But I get that I must be lucky 0_0
Georgie, Inky, Sugar, Jacky and Laratta.
And to all my ratties who have passed, I'll miss you all till I see you again. You're Gone for now, but never forgotten.

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:54 am

With my vets, it depends on the consultation itself. If it's something simple ("Yes, that sounds like a myco flare-up; I'll put her on some baytril too"), then it's counted as part of the original consultation. If it turns out to be something that requires a fair bit more work, they charge more, though I don't think it's the full price - I find this entirely fair though; I wouldn't mind installing a new hard drive on a friend's PC for free, but if they asked me to do a full data back-up, format the hard drive and restore all the software to its previous state for nothing I might have some choice words! :lol: (Depending on the friend, of course ;))
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:10 am

Oh, more posts have appeared!
I wouldn't mind paying more for 3+ if I went over my consultation appt time. But I've never had that as generally with just one issue it's signifcantly under the time they allow (which is generally dog/ cat suitable). I guess different vets have differen't lengths of standard consulations though, same as drs.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:27 am

I've only taken 2 rats so far, was only charged 1 fee. Generally when I've been and both needed seeing it was 1 had something more serious and the other had something minor - so the 1 needed a good look at, and the other just needed a brief prod, so to be honest I would be a little gutted if I did have to pay for them both for that (I still would like). If they both needed a good look at I would expect to have to pay for them both. I do always go assuming I'm going to have to pay a fee for both and that meds will be more than usual too (ever the pessimist).
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

Rootigger

Post by Rootigger » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:53 am

When I was ringing round all my local vets to suss out a good one for rats, I asked them all this question. I needed to take 4 in for a general health checkup, with one in particular having a myco flare up at the time. One vet said 'we'll have to charge a consult per animal, so for four rats it'd be £80'. I nearly passed out in shock! Needless to say I declined the offer...The one I settled on assured me it'd be a single consult fee, then after the appointment tried to charge me double the agreed price...they backed down! Wasn't impressed. Finally happy with my current vet, who takes the time to listen and seems genuinely interested in my ratties :D

My consults generally cost £20. I always make sure I say at the time of booking how many rats need looking at so I'm not springing anything on them and they have an idea of time required. Generally happy with that and come away without the horrible feeling of having just been ripped off! Quite happy to pay for a vet's time in that case :D
:hearts: Owned by Daisy, Sweetpea, Teasel and Willow :girly:
Never forgetting Lily and Clover :rainbow: