Questions about neutering

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
kammi_sparky123

Questions about neutering

Post by kammi_sparky123 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:19 am

Male healthy rat, 22 months old - just some questions :)

How much did yours cost? I know everyone's is different, just curious!
How long did it take them to recover?
What are the chances of them taking all the stitches out and having to go back and get them re-done? (I have had girls.... this is a common occurance for me :angry: :lol: )
How long until they are "safe" to go in with the girls?
Does their personality change much?
x Kammi x
Star, Ivy, Alice, Meeka and Stuart :hearts:
Amelia, Mable, Steve, Piper, Rosie, Lilly :rainbow: :hearts:

aimlessdesire

Re: Questions about neutering

Post by aimlessdesire » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:36 am

My vets charge £40 for neutering, though I always now put mine on synulox for 3 days before and 5 days after so this can add to the cost if you don't have the meds already (usually I have synulox in), metacam is also useful, again another cost if you don't have that already.

I've only had 1 rat in about 10 that I've had neutered pull their stitches out to the extent that there's been an issue, they usually stitch and glue anyway. The more usual problem is abscesses, hence why I have them on synulox before and after.

Most of mine have recovered pretty quickly, usually by the following day they are bouncing round the cage, and pretty healed up with a week or so. However I have only neutered one rat over the age of 18 months, most of the ones I've had neutered have been under a year.

You need to wait 2 weeks post op before introing with girls.

Personality wise, any netuered for being agressive / hormonal have all calmed down within 2-4 weeks, only once did neutering have no effect, but that was the rat that was over 18 months and we suspected most of the behaviour was so ingrained that he was never going to change.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

kammi_sparky123

Post by kammi_sparky123 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks!
Is it common to get abscesses with neutering then?
I have had 3 rats operated on before, one for a partial tail amputation, and 2 for lumps, the last of which pulled her stitched out overnight so had to take her to the vet to get put back under to get more in...
Never had an abscess though!
Stu is on his own now so he will have the full two weeks to recover before being intro'd in with the girls :)
Yeah he is a chilled happy 22 month old so I doubt much would change :)
x Kammi x

little_rat_lover

Post by little_rat_lover » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:17 pm

Mine have all cost between about £40-45.

Mine have always healed quickly - I had 3 boys done at I think about 13/14 weeks, 2 boys done at 16 months and 2 boys done at unknown ages, one assumed to be 12 months or so, the other 18ish. All have been fully or almost fully healed within 10 days. Some considerably faster! I've never had an abscess but I have had a couple with minor infections (well not really infections but could've turned into them) ho needed ABs, and a couple who have developed little harmless lumps in reaction to the stitches, they were put on ABs too as a precaution.

My vets don't release until rats are eating and drinking which all have been within a couple of hours of waking up, normally that evening or the next they're pinging around. Interestingly my boy who was about 18 months was my quickest healer, I didn't bother with a 10 day checkup as he'd been fully healed for a few days by then! He was also playing and acting normally that evening. So if healthy, age wouldn't concern me.

In 7 neuters I've never had any pulling, but my vets use internal sutures and then glue, so there's not much for them to bother with. So I'd say not too common :)

I've read anything between 8 days and 3 weeks to be safe, like most people I've gone with about 2 weeks - you want to wait until the incisions are nicely healed anyway. I think Stumpy (my 18mo) was actually 12 or 13 days.

As to personality - my 16mos had definite hormonal issues, these cleared up but dill was still prone to being a bit cage territorial after - it's not a magic fix if there's ingrained behaviours. My 2 other adult boys were new to me and I don't think had any hormonal problems, although with 1 it did make intros easier with my young boys, he was a softy with me anyway. The other loved everyone anyway :love: and no changes. And my 3 young boys had no problems at that age, it didn't cause any personality changes.

I've never found their underlying personalities to change and they still have all kept their individual ways :)

Adding after your reply - abscesses I've read are fairly common, certainly something to be prepared for. the 2 who got the reaction lumps and 1 of the others were on abscess watch for me, I was just lucky none actually developed :)
Mummy to Chrissy, Bramble, Amber, Vodka, Riley, Monkey, Stumpy, Princess, Mr Arthur Wiggins, Pixie and Farren.

RIP: Rambo, Rue, Dill, Coconut, Faith Mischief and Bonnie.

saz87

Post by saz87 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:26 pm

my vet charged £40 also, i called several vets and they all quoted around £40.
Post op care is usually fairly easy, all i do is keep them in a quiet area and let them sleep it off, i keep cage accessories to a minimum so that they dont run and clamber around and then cause the stitching to come lose. just a nice squishy hammock for the first night or something, in a smaller cage. they can be a bit dopey from the anesthetic so you don't want them ending up falling from high levels.
I have also had a boy develop an abscess at the operation site after a neutering, it was only small and a course of baytril cleared it up fine.

i dont want to scare you by mentioning this, but i did once lose a boy during a neutering operation. i asked the vet to talk me through what happened exactly that caused him to die, and he said he died instantly as soon as he injected the anesthetic :angry: it was half ignorance on my part for having no idea vets would actually even do this! and partly his for doing it!! but needless to say i changed vets and never went back. So make doubly sure the vet is going to use anesthetic gas and not injection. The boy in question was extremely small and hairless, so i can only assume he wasn't weighed before hand, i doubt the fact that he was hairless had anything to do with it, but during long nights when i dwelled on it i always wondered if it had to do with genetics or some internal deformity... i don't know i still ponder it.
It set me off on a huge guilt trip and i wouldn't get boys neutered for a few years after this (until i met spike!)

Personality wise i found that with 1 aggressive boy (spike!), his personality did improve, he had been so aggressive towards other rats it was unbelievable, he would fly at the bars of his cage hiss, huffing and sidling and biting hard on the bars if i so much as walked past him with another rat in my arms, (with people he was fine) my other rats were all absolutely terrified of him. if he was free ranging in a room that other rats had previously free ranged in, he would go so crazy on the scent marking he would flip over and upside down trying to rub his entire body all over anything another rat had touched, he would bite and pull up the carpet where they had walked, it was insane!
About 3/4 weeks after his op there was a noticeable change in his behavior, all the crazy throwing himself at the bars, hissing etc stopped he would calmly sit in his hammock if other rats pottered by during free range and completely ignore them. scent marking all stopped and free range became fun for him instead of his crazy scent marking routine. He unfortunately died of a stroke a few weeks this and never got to live out my plan for him to move in with ladies :( (but i doubt that the stroke was anything to do with the neutering)

I have also had 1 who didnt improve with neutering, he was wonderful with people, but very aggressive towards other rats, male and female, and neutering made no difference. he was just 1 of those rare ratties that just preferred living alone.

i wait 2 weeks after neuterings before saying they're safe to go in with girls, sometimes it can take a little longer for them to calm down if they are a little naughty! - in some cases they'l be no change in personality.

i hope i answered a few of your questions :D

l
Sarah-Jane, owned by:
:dumbo: Wilbur Wooster, :dumbo: Otto Bigfoot :dumbo: Captain Marley-Smuts
Forever missing all at the :rainbow:

kammi_sparky123

Post by kammi_sparky123 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks all!

Oh no that is awful that he died! :(
I know my vets use gas as rosie was fine and she had to go under twice in two days and was still fine.

Should I ask for anti-biotics aswell?
I have baytril in the house from lilly's resp issues a couple of weeks ago, would that work or do they need something else?
x Kammi x

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:12 pm

I always do a 5-day course of ABs following any operation as an abcess/ general infection prevention :luck:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

aimlessdesire

Post by aimlessdesire » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:00 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:I always do a 5-day course of ABs following any operation as an abcess/ general infection prevention :luck:
You want to start the AB before the op, then it's in the blood stream already. I tend to do 3 days pre, 5 days post.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:18 pm

It cost me just over £90 to get two boys done. Mine pulled their stitches out but it was securely glued underneath so it wasn't a problem :) it took my boys about 2-3 days to go back to normal and their personalities didn't change but their fur is softer! I was told to wait four weeks before allowing the boys near any girls.

I personally didn't give my boys antibiotics before and after and we didn't have any problems, I don't think it does them any harm.

Can I ask why you are neutering at 22 months? Just curious!
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

kammi_sparky123

Post by kammi_sparky123 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:38 pm

aimlessdesire wrote:
acapae_wolf wrote:I always do a 5-day course of ABs following any operation as an abcess/ general infection prevention :luck:
You want to start the AB before the op, then it's in the blood stream already. I tend to do 3 days pre, 5 days post.
I already have baytril here, shall I start it now then as he will be booked in early next week?
izzerie wrote:
Can I ask why you are neutering at 22 months? Just curious!
Yeah it's fine :D My brother had 2 boys, 22 months old, and one has just had to be pts, so he is getting neutered to go in with my girls so he isn't alone! :D
x Kammi x

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:49 pm

aimlessdesire wrote:
Yes, you said already. I start the ABs a day or so before if I have something suitable. But with a small group of rats I don't always have stock and so am happy for them to have their first doseage in the pre-op consult (which is what my current vets do by default).
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

kammi_sparky123

Post by kammi_sparky123 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Yeah thinking about it I am sure they give me ABs to give after the op.
Might give him some tonight as we are going to try and book him in asap (hopefully tomorrow or tuesday) so he is on his own for as short of time as possible!
x Kammi x

Sarah_B

Post by Sarah_B » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:31 pm

I've had 5 boys neutered and out of those I have only had one with no issues at all. One died after an abscess inside ruptured his bowel without warning and another died under anaesthetic when the vet was investigating a lump. The other two developed lumps which were both successfully removed, but one had an epic one hour operation and I'd never want to put a rat through that again.

I've not been very lucky... It's the lumps that cause the problems so I would take aimlessdesire's advice and get him on antibiotics beforehand. My vet did a post mortem on the last boy that died and took some samples. I'm waiting to hear what they think - whether it's a problem my end or theirs.

My boys were on baytril but baytril just didn't cut it...

The ones that survived are much calmer now!
♥ Cabbage, Sprout, Bean, Bandit, Croque Monster, Peanut, Jam and two unnamed Rattray babies ♥ R.I.P. Flapjack, Sallad, Gherkin, Jim, Doogh and Heathcliff

Rat hammocks, cubes and tubes for sale!

Jird

Post by Jird » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:22 pm

Oh no, I'm sorry you've had such rubbish luck :( I'm not sure that antibiotics would help with preventing lumps though - I think the antibiotics are given more to reduce the risk of the rat developing abscesses. I have heard that sometimes you can get lumpy hernia-things developing if the inguinal canal isn't properly sealed during castration though :???:
Emily and the boys - Jamie, Bailey, Finn and Tumnus
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze. See you at the bridge little guys.

Sarah_B

Post by Sarah_B » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Jird wrote:Oh no, I'm sorry you've had such rubbish luck :( I'm not sure that antibiotics would help with preventing lumps though - I think the antibiotics are given more to reduce the risk of the rat developing abscesses. I have heard that sometimes you can get lumpy hernia-things developing if the inguinal canal isn't properly sealed during castration though :???:
I should have mentioned that they were abscessy lumps. Bean (he got massive abscessy swellings) had a swab taken and the bacteria they found was faecal which would make sense given how low to the ground the wounds are. Synulox is a good antibiotic for this apparently and since the others have been on it I haven't had any more problems :)
♥ Cabbage, Sprout, Bean, Bandit, Croque Monster, Peanut, Jam and two unnamed Rattray babies ♥ R.I.P. Flapjack, Sallad, Gherkin, Jim, Doogh and Heathcliff

Rat hammocks, cubes and tubes for sale!