Ted is wobbly... what's causing this?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
fatsoratso

Ted is wobbly... what's causing this?

Post by fatsoratso » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi everyone,

My rat Ted, who must be coming up to around 20 months of age now, has started wobbling a bit this week. My friend's rats currently have mites and it turns out my poor Ted has them as well but he got his first dose of treatment for it last week at the vets. The day after he had mite treatment he was wobbling around a bit - it's mainly his back end that seems to be affected. It's not like HLD - we've had lots of older rats in the past and many of them developed HLD towards the end - it's more like a balance issue I think. He still runs around and climbs the bars of the cage but his back end just moves sideways a lot more than normal and yesterday he fell over slightly while running over the living room floor. I also noticed he had quite a bit of porph on his nose this morning. He seems very happy in himself and even the mites didn't seem to bother him too much. Apart from an early stage of HLD (although like I said this doesn't look much like the other cases we've had) is there anything else that could be causing his wobbling? An ear thing (not head tilt or ear scratching though)? Or something at the other end of his body?

Cheers.

izzerie

Re: Ted is wobbly... what's causing this?

Post by izzerie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:11 pm

Perhaps the beginning of an ear infection if there is porph and balance issues? Perhaps a call to the vet to ask for advice tomorrow morning would be a good idea? Sorry, I'm not really sure but good luck :luck:
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

Pho

Post by Pho » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 pm

I would suggest it's possibly an ear infection. One of our rats became wobbly and had a very slight head tilt (not obvious at all). He didn't scratch at his ears or have any discharge from them either. He was treated with antibiotics and the wobbliness improved very quickly.
Oscar, Rory, Hugo, Barney and Jonah :-)
R.I.P. Samson

sati18

Post by sati18 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:35 pm

possibly an ear infection or maybe a mini stroke since you specifically mention weakness and the fact that he lists to one side- although that would affect his front half too. could he have hurt his back at all?
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

fatsoratso

Post by fatsoratso » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone - I was wondering if it could be an ear infection as the mites might have contributed to depressing his immune system and allowing infection to take over? I was also wondering about stroke but as you said, one would expect the front half to be affected as well. He doesn't seem down at all and is still just as keen to run around and climb etc, holding his food fine, good appetite, no weight loss (I weigh them every other day). I've observed him closely just now and he definitely doesn't have a head tilt. As for whether he might have injured himself - I was wondering this because he had a little fall about a week ago. He slipped from the top of the cage approx 1m high and landed on his back but seemed totally fine straight away and it was only about 4 days later that his wobbling started. He is quite clumsy anyway so his little falls are not uncommon. He might have fallen from one of the shelves in the cage without me noticing but he wouldn't have fallen far and would have landed on soft fleece bedding... I will book a vet appointment for tomorrow to have the ear checked out just in case. I personally have a feeling it could be ear related although when we've had ear infections in the past the first signs were scratching and head tilt... it's weird that it's just his wobbly back end.

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:48 pm

It is possible that he may have injured himself but it didn't show to begin with; now he's had a few days it may be that the bruising wherever he has injured himself is coming out and causing his symptoms.

Best get him checked over by a vet- good luck :luck:
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

fatsoratso

Post by fatsoratso » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:19 pm

The vet says he can feel a little clicking in his right knee-joint so we're to give him metacam for three days and bed rest to see if he gets better. So fingers crossed :luck: