Problems with aging old boy

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
kat70

Problems with aging old boy

Post by kat70 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:37 pm

My elderly rat Loki is starting to show signs of old age and I'm wondering what I can do to ease his symptoms....

He is showing signs of HLD as he is weak at his back end and walks with a shuffle etc, I have modified his cage so he can get around easier and he seems to be managing ok

The main thing that is worrying me is that he will shuffle along then stop and pant for a wee bit as if he is catching his breath then carry on, also last week I thought he was choking as he had all the classic signs and he got over it ok but last night after he had had a small pice of cheese he did the same sort of thing, he seemed to be in discomfort swallowing and was drooling but it didn't last very long this time and within 10 mins he was able to eat and lick me again....I wondering if he could have some sort of problem with his throat...anyone ever have a similar experience.......

I think he is just getting old though........but any tips or advice on how to keep him as healthy as possible would be much appreciated as he is a lovely, lovely wee boy and it's quite hard watching him deteriorate and I want to give him the best at this time of his life as he has given me loads over the time I have had him......

P.s I am taking him to the vet tonight for a check up to see if there is any underlying problems causing the choking like episodes.....

redrach

Re: Problems with aging old boy

Post by redrach » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Poor man ): i hope he is okay.
One of my old men has hld and although i haven't ordered it yet, i hear senior aid is very good for them. You could also try a kidney friendly diet (check rat rations website). Also try to encourage him to exercise as much as he can. My boy seems to be doing good since i forced him to exercise more (with treats!)
Good luck at the vet.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

redrach

Post by redrach » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:05 pm

P.s. Here's the thread about my boy. It has loads of advice and ideas that may help you too.
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... 4&t=154007
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

kat70

Post by kat70 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:00 pm

Thank you for that, there is loads of brilliant advice there that I can try..... :lol: He already takes senior aid but I didn't know about the other suppliments so will try out some of those with him....

Your Albie is georgeous by the way......... :lol:

redrach

Post by redrach » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Glad to help ;)
Hope he improves for you.
What do you think of the senior aid?
Thanks, he's my very special man <3
Rachael.

kat70

Post by kat70 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Loki has been having senior aid for a couple of months and I would say he hasn't got alot worse since he has been taking it so I think it must be doing him some good....

I hope he gets on ok at the vets and they can advise on why he is having these choking fits...will see what they say....

kat70

Re: Problems with aging old boy - UPDATE

Post by kat70 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:09 am

My lovely wee boy Loki passed away peacefully on Saturday afternoon

Sleep well my little star, we will all miss you..... :dumbohalo:

redrach

Post by redrach » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:06 am

I'm so sorry for your loss ): He looks so lovely.
Run free little man.
Rachael.

kat70

Post by kat70 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Thank you....he was lovely......

redrach

Post by redrach » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:13 pm

D: <3 hope you're okay.
Rachael.

kat70

Post by kat70 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:47 am

I'm ok...Just miss the little guy, he was one very, very special little guy...... :hearts:

Have to think about whats best to do for his pal Jack now...he is one year old so needs new friends but not sure how many etc as yet....I think two babies might be the easiest to introduce....will have to see if I can sort something out fairly quickly though as he is looking a little bit lost this morning.....