Impossible to clean abscess

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Jird

Impossible to clean abscess

Post by Jird » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:40 pm

I had two boys castrated last week, Finn and Tumnus. Tumnus has got two lumps where the incisions were which feel suspiciously like abscesses, but they haven't popped yet so I'm just keeping a close eye on him and will start bathing if/when they pop. Finn has got an open abscess - there's a scabby little hole, and I can see a thick plug of pus jammed in there.

Normally I'd get my OH to hold him still, and use diluted hibiscrub to soften it and gently clean it out, then bathe the area twice daily to keep it clean until it healed. However, Finn is not cooperating. I can lightly hold a damp bit of cotton wool against the area for maybe 20 seconds before he flips out and flails/scrambles/clambers/jumps/ninja kicks his way to freedom and disappears over my shoulder. There's no way we can restrain him to clean it properly. He will not sit politely in a tub of hibiscrub, and the ratty burrito with a tea towel is something I've never mastered.

So... halp? :o What can I do? Does anyone have any nifty new ideas, or will it be okay if I just leave it to work its own way out, or should I book him in to the vets to be anaesthetised and have them do it?
Emily and the boys - Jamie, Bailey, Finn and Tumnus
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze. See you at the bridge little guys.

Blue Dragon

Re: Impossible to clean abscess

Post by Blue Dragon » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:18 am

Well, when boys have their nads off there can sometimes be lumps there afterwards. They're not absesses, they're just a bit of swelling I think and will go down in a few days.

As for naughty Finn, hmmm. Does it look infected or is it just a scab? If it's infected then it might be an idea to go back to the vet and ask for some meds for it. I can't really say how to restrain him to clean it meanwile though. I would have said use a towel but you say even that isn't working 0_0

Sorry I can't help more than that.
Georgie, Inky, Sugar, Jacky and Laratta.
And to all my ratties who have passed, I'll miss you all till I see you again. You're Gone for now, but never forgotten.

not_ginger

Post by not_ginger » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:22 am

The answer may be bribery. Get a warm wet towel and fold it, put it on the floor and put him on it with a bowl of something yummy. Enough to keep him there for as long as you want the abcess to be soaked. I've found (at least with food orientated rats) that they're so busy stuffing their face that they don't seem to realise that they're sat on a wet towel! :roll:
*Angela*
And Ronan :smileyrat: ,Riddle :smileyrat: ,Ralph :dumbo: ,Roland :dumbo: ,Boots :teen: ,Bloo :teen: ,tilty Roobarb :teen: and the new babies Baldrick :baby: and runty Gaspode :dumbobaby:
R.I.P rainbow rats :rainbow: Missing Rooney already :(

Blue Dragon

Post by Blue Dragon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:54 am

Ah, now there's an idea! Never would have thought of that one. As for yummy foods, I've never had a rat turn down baby puddings like chocolate pudding and the rice pudding. Maybe that might work?
Georgie, Inky, Sugar, Jacky and Laratta.
And to all my ratties who have passed, I'll miss you all till I see you again. You're Gone for now, but never forgotten.