Prednisolone drops - dosage

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
SammyJoP

Prednisolone drops - dosage

Post by SammyJoP » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Yesterday I noticed Brownie wasn't looking very well - her fur was fluffed up, her face looked slightly puffy and she was sneezing a lot (Treacle has always sneezed but it's unusual for Brownie to do it). She didn't seem too bad though so I kept an eye on her but today she hadn't improved so we took her to the vet. The vet wasn't sure what it is but has prescribed steroid drops. I know vets sometimes underprescribe things like Baytril so I just wanted to make sure I'm giving Brownie enough of this.

It's Predisnolone Acetate 1% and I'm meant to give her 1 drop 2x a day. I don't know how much that equates to since it's in drops :-? but does it sound okay? I don't know how much Brownie weighs - she's not big but, compared to other rats I see at shows, she's not small either.
Gladis :dumbogirly: Geraldine :dumbogirly: Hex :girly: Treacle :dumbogirly: Muffin :dumbogirly: Brownie :dumbogirly:
Delilah and Tallulah the spiny meece and Sasha and Nico the doggles :hearts:

RIP Jinx :halo: & all my past pets

SammyJoP

Re: Prednisolone drops - dosage

Post by SammyJoP » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:59 pm

Well Brownie had her 2 doses today (I put them in food and she ate it no problem) and she seems so much better already! :D
Gladis :dumbogirly: Geraldine :dumbogirly: Hex :girly: Treacle :dumbogirly: Muffin :dumbogirly: Brownie :dumbogirly:

SammyJoP

Post by SammyJoP » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:03 am

My mum's looking after Brownie because I'm at college, she just text me saying Brownie isn't sneezing but has started making a popping sound instead :-? Anyone know what that is?

SammyJoP

Post by SammyJoP » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:09 pm

After her meds Brownie stopped making the weird noise but Treacle (who has been sneezy but okay since we got her in August) has started doing it now :-| Could it be that whatever Brownie has is contagious?

SammyJoP

Post by SammyJoP » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Please would somebody reply??

velvet_nothing

Post by velvet_nothing » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:00 pm

Is it only the steroid that she's been prescribed? For any kind of respy noises I would probably have her on antibiotics as well, at a reasonably strong dose if she's looking fluffed up and unhappy as well as making noises :) Did the vet say what he was treating for with the steroids?

SammyJoP

Post by SammyJoP » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:36 pm

The steroids were the only thing she was prescribed - the vet didn't know what was wrong with her. Anyway they seemed to work :)