Swollen snout - updated, PM results added

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
daffee

Re: Swollen snout - URGENT REPLIES PLEASE

Post by daffee » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:46 am

I'm so sorry :(
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

funnykooky

Post by funnykooky » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:19 am

sorry to read about your rat :hearts:

malude

Post by malude » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks again to everyone's lovely messages :hearts:

Initial post mortem results are a little inconclusive. I will post what we know so far, nothing too graphic but don't read if you think you might be sensitive to PM details.

There were very significant abnormalities with the spleen and also the liver. These would of course fit with the anaemia/bleeding picture we were seeing.
There were also some lesions on the lung but the vet wasn't able to say for sure if these were pre or post mortem changes.
There was no sign of any tumours or abscesses. His mouth, palette, intestines, kidneys and heart were all normal.

Mary has spoken with Ann Storey about this and as the PM results are inconclusive and Ann's suggestions (I don't want to post those at this point) could have implications Mary and I have agreed to have the samples of Rookie's liver, spleen and lung sent off for further testing.

I do hope my little man is able to teach us something and so his death will have at least contributed something to future rats. There was also a junior vet present for the PM so hopefully he/she learnt something from him too.

When we have more results back I will post those. I'll probably start a new thread and link back to this one as it may take some time for the results to come back.
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:19 pm

malude wrote: I do hope my little man is able to teach us something and so his death will have at least contributed something to future rats. There was also a junior vet present for the PM so hopefully he/she learnt something from him too.
I really admire you for saying that Jude. It must be so hard for you at the momant, but you're still thinking about helping future rats, and even the training of another vet. I really admire you for that.

Thinking of you xxx
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

malude

Re: Swollen snout

Post by malude » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Thanks, that means a lot :D

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Amzy wrote:
malude wrote: I do hope my little man is able to teach us something and so his death will have at least contributed something to future rats. There was also a junior vet present for the PM so hopefully he/she learnt something from him too.
I really admire you for saying that Jude. It must be so hard for you at the momant, but you're still thinking about helping future rats, and even the training of another vet. I really admire you for that.

Thinking of you xxx
Seconded - hope you're ok xxx
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:29 pm

malude wrote:When we have more results back I will post those. I'll probably start a new thread and link back to this one as it may take some time for the results to come back.
Best to keep to this thread, there's no harm in bumping a thread back up when the information belongs together.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

rat_mummy

Post by rat_mummy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Oh Jude, I'm so sorry, I only just saw this thread, I don't know what to say. Hugs to you and Brompton from me and the boys :cry: .

malude

Post by malude » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:52 pm

rat_mummy wrote:Oh Jude, I'm so sorry, I only just saw this thread, I don't know what to say. Hugs to you and Brompton from me and the boys :cry: .
Thanks, give your boys huge cuddles and kisses from me and their brother :hearts:
I should get the PM results this week so hopefully we'll have some answers and some closure :(

malude

Post by malude » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:25 am

Apologies for the delay, we've moved house since Rookie died so everything has been a bit disorganised. Anyway, here is a brief overview of the post mortem results. If anyone is interested in reading the full report feel free to PM me with your email address and I can email a scanned copy.

Spleen: some areas of necrosis and gram positive bacteria present
Liver: necrosis of hepatocytes and accumulation of lipids within remaining hepatocytes
Lung: alveoli contained eosinophilic liquid and some foamy macrophages

Histological diagnosis: Necrotising splenitis with intralesional bacteria, diffuse hepatic lipidosis with necrosis and lung oedema. They have commented that this seems to be associated with the presence of numerous gram positive bacteria and suggests a haematogenous bacterial spread and could be secondary to septicaemia. The necrosis in the liver could be due to hypoxia, for example following acute anaemia or cardiac failure.

Ann Storey had suggested Tyzzer's disease as a possibility which is contagious so we had his liver sample tested for that which thankfully came back negative.

I hope that this information is useful.

malude

Rookie's post mortem results

Post by malude » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:27 am

I have posted an overview of Rookie's post mortem results on the thread from when he was ill. Just thought I'd flag it up as I know it's been a little while now since it all happened.
PM results link

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:33 am

Oh no! Oh Jude, I had completely missed this thread. Have just read it all through and am now crying, and I don't cry at all easily at the written word :cry:
I hope moving house provided a little distraction from the pain x
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on