spay- advice please

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Locked
redrach
Member
Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:27 pm
Location: Newtownards, Northern Ireland

spay- advice please

Post by redrach » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi guys, I know there have been quite a few discussions on neutering recently, but i'd appreciate some opinions on my particular situation and advice on what I should ask my vet about it.

Basically, I have 4 boys and 3 girls. One girl is 3-4 months younger than the other 2 and when the older girls pass on (-assuming they do first- bearing in mind they're only 7-8 months, so i'm planning far ahead) i'd like to be able to move my youngest girl in with my young boys who are the same age (presumably my old men won't be around anymore either). In the future I would like to keep males only and convert my 2 feretplus' into a bigger cage for them. This would therefore mean I would have to get her spayed.
My biggest concern is the risks of surgery and I'd hate to put her through it and have her not make it, or suffer as a result of it. I am however concerned that she would be left on her own and as i'm in NI and there aren't that many rat lovers here, I'd be worried I'd not be able to find her a new home if that was my only option (aside from the fact it would completely break my heart as she was from an accidental litter and i've had her from day 1). I also think it would be beneficial as her parents are pet shop rats (dads are rescues and mums were bought, learnt now..) and i'm terrified she will get tumours and the like. Her mother is in great health, her dad has hld, so no history of lumps so far, but that's obviously only 1 generation etc. I'd really like to reduce these risks for her. Actually I'd like to reduce the risks for her mum and aunt too, but perhaps I should find out more info first.

I'd firstly speak to my vet about this as they are an 'exotics vet' but i've never enquired about spaying and therefore don't know how many they've done before, if any. What age is ideal for her to be spayed? What questions should I be asking my vet, other than if he has spayed rats before, success rates, and how many times etc? Should I ask about how they sedate them? what is the best way? (i literally know nothing about surgery). What about recovery?

I'd really appreciate any input anyone can offer.
Am I being ridiculous? Are the risks too high? Or is it a good idea?

ps. the girl is in good health so far (as her the other 2 females) and she is almost 5 months. The older girls are 7-8 months.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

User avatar
KateR
Member
Member
Posts: 4897
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:35 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: spay- advice please

Post by KateR » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Spaying is higher risk that neutering - it's more invasive. But we've had several girls spayed (all for PV bleeding not electively) and they have all recovered really well. They've had inhaled anaesthetic and are generally home that night. We keep them in a carrier/hospital cage with a heat pad under it at one end, and give them soft mushy food that's easy for them to eat. They stay in our bedroom overnight and are generally fine to go back in with their cagemates the next day.

Saying that, a friend has lost 2 does to spays, both of which were done as emergencies. And we have lost a boy to castration. So it's not to be taken lightly, no op is.

Would neutering the boys be an option?
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

redrach
Member
Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:27 pm
Location: Newtownards, Northern Ireland

Re: spay- advice please

Post by redrach » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks for the insight. I'm genuinely really concerned that i'd lose her ):
Someone else just mentioned on another post about getting the boys done, but my fear is that she could outlive them too, and then she'd be on her own anyway as I couldn't get more boys until she left us. It's a really hard decision to make, but one I should prob. make sooner rather than later while she is still healthy and young enough to consider it.
I also get the impression that female lumps are more common and more of an issue than health problems for males related to their man bits (though I may be very wrong, it's just what i've observed online) and therefore i am also looking into it for health reasons, it's not just about her being alone. At the same time I've considered getting the boys done in hope of health benefits but since they're not at all aggressive and their fathers weren't, i'd like to avoid having them done if possible.

Do you think that's silly? Would it make more sense getting them done rather than her?
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests