turning a good vet into a good rat vet.....

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Athena

turning a good vet into a good rat vet.....

Post by Athena » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:37 am

Any tips?

Living where I live and not driving I could really do with having a good local rat vet.

Currently if I'm confident of the problem eg respy needing baytril i see vet a. Vet a is scared of rats, refuses to handle them so gives me whatever prescription I ask for and charges nothing for consult just meds! Shocking really but works well.

Vet b loves rats, plays with them, cuddled them, talks to them but is still quite 'I was taught this so this is what I will do'

So how do I go about molding him into my perfect vet?
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

rattypetrolhead

Re: turning a good vet into a good rat vet.....

Post by rattypetrolhead » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:06 am

Give them a copy of the NFRS Rat Health Guide - it's a tenner on the website. I gave my vets a copy of it and they keep it in the staff room! I have my own copy too, and it's invaluable.

Some (dare I say most?) vets are very much 'this is what I was taught and I can't deviate', but if you provide enough evidence and explanation it definitely helps. I bombarded Patrycja with print outs from here and the Rat Health Forum etc which helped me get Rammy and Sheena onto Galastop for their mammary lumps - unfortunately Patrycja has moved back to Poland to open her own practice :-? which is a bit far for me :lol: So I'll be 're-training' :wink: the remaining vets at the branch - I'm keeping everything crossed that when they recruit to fill Patrycja's post they get a small animal vet that likes rats and learning about them like she did. :luck:
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Blossomgirl

Post by Blossomgirl » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:49 am

I told my vet about the rat health and rat guide websites. She uses them constantly now to refer to when she's not sure what's happening. And if I can bring her a solution/ idea/ whatever, she'll always listen as long as I have the evidence to support mysel. So printouts etc, sometimes go along to the vet too. :)

Good luck. :luck:
Proudly owned by Bryan (Habana), Victor (Matfield), Percy (Montgomery), John (Smit), Ricky (January) and Ruan (Pienaar) - our gorgeous rugby boys.
Foster mummy to Toby.
Loved and sorely missed: Os (du Randt) and Friemel

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:55 am

and get an email address and send them links/PDFs to advice sheets. I've sent lots of links on SDAv to mine when there was a suspected outbreak and I've just done the same with the ZGT info in case that's what Turk has ( :( :cry: :luck: that it isn't)
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

Athena

Post by Athena » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:57 am

how did you approach your vets? the one im thinking of is a really nice guy and I did some work experience at the vets so Ive seen him operate without the human client present too and he is very good and considerate, i want him! :lol:
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:03 pm

I think a lot of it is having confidence in what you're saying, showing them info from here, the Rat Health Book, from websites etc but not coming across as knowing more than them - more "I wondered what your thoughts are on trying this?" and "is there any chance it could be....?" I'm lucky with my vets as most of them at the practice do definitely listen. Nick, my favourite even said last week "In a lot of cases you guys know more than we do." I have a problem with one or two of them there that insist my breeder boys are overweight when they are just lovely big healthy boys, just not what they're used to seeing. These are vets I don't see very often at the practice.

I did have a problem when I was taking my friend with her rat to PDSA. There is one vet there that we do not like. She is very inclined to be rude and unpleasant. We were there again with continuing respy problems and I asked her about trying a doxy-baytril combination and that I'd used it on my rats and found it helpful and my vets were using this sometimes now. She stared at me, then said "He's having baytril." :angry:
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

wantouts

Post by wantouts » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:09 pm

I can't believe you've got a vet thats scared of rats, thats a bit mental. why become a vet in the first place?

I had a bit of an experience with my vet the other night, she is very good normally, but when I asked about galasopt she just said she had no idea why anyone would tell me to use that, that it was for dogs and that it wouldnt work.... I didnt really know what to say after that so just shut up.

Athena

Post by Athena » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:10 pm

wantouts wrote:I can't believe you've got a vet thats scared of rats, thats a bit mental. why become a vet in the first place?
he also had to muzzle our dog before he would inspect his paw to see if there was a cut. Motley might be big and called Motley but he wasnt even scared or acting scared or wary at all apparently, I wasnt there, it would have been me needing the muzzle if i had :lol:

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:14 pm

I can't believe vet 'a' is scared of rats! That's really, really bizarre! I know some members of the general public have an irrational fear of rats, but I can't get it into my mind that a vet would be scared of rats!

I'm quite lucky, most of my vets (and there have been a few) have been either quite rat savvy to begin with, or have been very keen to learn.
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

wantouts

Post by wantouts » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:00 am

Athena wrote:
wantouts wrote:I can't believe you've got a vet thats scared of rats, thats a bit mental. why become a vet in the first place?
he also had to muzzle our dog before he would inspect his paw to see if there was a cut. Motley might be big and called Motley but he wasnt even scared or acting scared or wary at all apparently, I wasnt there, it would have been me needing the muzzle if i had :lol:
people like that shouldnt become vets.... surely putting a muzzle on him, if he is not used to wearing one, is going to stress him out more? they should be trying to make it as stress free for the animal as possible... :sigh: