Lump at throat

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Locked
User avatar
hedgeweasel
Member
Member
Posts: 4710
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Dorset

Lump at throat

Post by hedgeweasel » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:34 pm

I have just found a ;lump on Nanuuq's throat, I have to admit he is not a rat i fondle and prod alot (he comes in and out of the cage mostly by himself and doesn't like being picked up) he does obviousy get interaction and playing with but not holding as such, so I don't know if it was sudden or a slower growth (although i suspect i still would have noticed if it was slower :/).

I guess i know the answers but any ideas? I'd like to go to the vets with some info under my belt.

Thank you :(

oh btw he's about 19months old

User avatar
hedgeweasel
Member
Member
Posts: 4710
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Dorset

Re: Lump at throat

Post by hedgeweasel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:47 am

no one? i have a vets app for this evening so i guess i'll find out then anyway.

i guess its either an abscess that will be drained or a tumour....

someone wish my handsome lad luck

User avatar
MrsSetters
Member
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Lump at throat

Post by MrsSetters » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:18 pm

Hey hedgeweasel,

What is the lump like? Can you see it coming to a head, like it might be an abscess?

My girls had multiple abscesses/cysts on their throat, it was like a weak spot for them. We got pretty adept at cleaning and treating them ourselves, I'm sure your vet can advise. Do youhave some Hibiscrub? If it ruptures or is lanced, a hibiscrub solution flushed into the abscess with a syringe is a good way of keeping it clean as it heals so no infection is sealed inside. You can get it from any chemist.

I am sure Nanuuq will be just fine, I hope it goes well at the vets this evening.
Lola :girly: Paris :baby: Juno :dumbobaby: Cressida :dumbobaby:
Emmy and Ruby, playing forever at the Bridge, run free my gorgeous girls.
Dharma and Morgan, cats extraordinaire.

User avatar
hedgeweasel
Member
Member
Posts: 4710
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Dorset

Re: Lump at throat

Post by hedgeweasel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:31 pm

hi, thanks, yeah i have plenty hibi lying about. no sign of coming to a head :/ but im still hoping its nothing more sinister

User avatar
MrsSetters
Member
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Lump at throat

Post by MrsSetters » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Fingers crossed. It seems a pretty unlikely place for a tumour, so I'm sure it's just a cyst or abscess and willbe easy peasy to nix. Scritches for Nanuuq.
Lola :girly: Paris :baby: Juno :dumbobaby: Cressida :dumbobaby:
Emmy and Ruby, playing forever at the Bridge, run free my gorgeous girls.
Dharma and Morgan, cats extraordinaire.

User avatar
hedgeweasel
Member
Member
Posts: 4710
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Dorset

Re: Lump at throat

Post by hedgeweasel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:47 pm

MrsSetters wrote:Fingers crossed. It seems a pretty unlikely place for a tumour, so I'm sure it's just a cyst or abscess and willbe easy peasy to nix. Scritches for Nanuuq.

im hoping so, as i said hes not much for cuddles (in fact hes a bit of a grumpy old git tbh lol) but i'd like to think i would still have noticed it growing if it was a tumour :/

he does enjoy running up to you and nipping whatever part of you is closest, odd as his brother is so cuddly but its what makes nanuuq, nanuuq

User avatar
hedgeweasel
Member
Member
Posts: 4710
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Dorset

Re: Lump at throat

Post by hedgeweasel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:43 pm

Well I have tbh I'm a bit gutted that so few people give a damn on fr after all the years I've been here but MrsSetters thank you for your replies and you'll be glad to hear Nanuuq had an abscess and will be fine so I'm pleased :D

User avatar
velvet_nothing
Member
Member
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:11 am
Location: Coventry

Re: Lump at throat

Post by velvet_nothing » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Glad it turned out to be just an abscess :) It may be worth keeping an eye on his lower teeth for a while, as when one of my boys had a big neck abscess it (I think) spread to one of his teeth, which went dark brown towards the bottom, then another abscess came up below his ear months later. I'm not sure all three were related, but it seemed likely.

As for people not replying, I'm sure it's not that people don't care, just that sometimes it's hard to know what to say or suggest and not everybody comes on regularly enough to see all the messages from people they might know.

User avatar
hedgeweasel
Member
Member
Posts: 4710
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Dorset

Re: Lump at throat

Post by hedgeweasel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:55 pm

velvet_nothing wrote:Glad it turned out to be just an abscess :) It may be worth keeping an eye on his lower teeth for a while, as when one of my boys had a big neck abscess it (I think) spread to one of his teeth, which went dark brown towards the bottom, then another abscess came up below his ear months later. I'm not sure all three were related, but it seemed likely.

As for people not replying, I'm sure it's not that people don't care, just that sometimes it's hard to know what to say or suggest and not everybody comes on regularly enough to see all the messages from people they might know.

yes thanks, the vet has mentioned about the teeth but also said she couldnt see much that would suggest any further problems but as always will be vigillent

User avatar
MrsSetters
Member
Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Lump at throat

Post by MrsSetters » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11 am

hedgeweasel wrote:Well I have tbh I'm a bit gutted that so few people give a damn on fr after all the years I've been here but MrsSetters thank you for your replies and you'll be glad to hear Nanuuq had an abscess and will be fine so I'm pleased :D
Woop! I knowed it, I did!

I think people do care, lovely, it's just sometimes hard to respond to everything. I just try topick topics where I have a clue and they're few and far between! I'm sure everyone is pleased it's nothing serious.
Lola :girly: Paris :baby: Juno :dumbobaby: Cressida :dumbobaby:
Emmy and Ruby, playing forever at the Bridge, run free my gorgeous girls.
Dharma and Morgan, cats extraordinaire.

User avatar
philosophyfox
Member
Member
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:05 pm
Location: Hull, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Lump at throat

Post by philosophyfox » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:26 am

Yeah, I missed this because I was a bit self absorbed yesterday :oops:
I've had two cases of neck abscesses, which where drained under anesthetic and healed fine.

I never knew about checking the teeth though. It maybe explains Toboe's tooth issues (noticed several months after his abscess) which he was eventually pts for (due to not recovering from an anesthetic properly). It I'd been more vigilant about his teeth after the abscess then maybe he wouldn't have had to leave me so soon.

Best wishes to you and Nanuuq :luck:
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

User avatar
hedgeweasel
Member
Member
Posts: 4710
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Dorset

Re: Lump at throat

Post by hedgeweasel » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:13 pm

philosophyfox wrote:Yeah, I missed this because I was a bit self absorbed yesterday :oops:
I've had two cases of neck abscesses, which where drained under anesthetic and healed fine.

I never knew about checking the teeth though. It maybe explains Toboe's tooth issues (noticed several months after his abscess) which he was eventually pts for (due to not recovering from an anesthetic properly). It I'd been more vigilant about his teeth after the abscess then maybe he wouldn't have had to leave me so soon.

Best wishes to you and Nanuuq :luck:

thanks guys,

i know people can't always answer its just sometimes i feel like ppl don't give a poop when i actually bother to ask for help (which i rarely do) but hey ho moving on to annoying nanuuq with his meds :D

User avatar
philosophyfox
Member
Member
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:05 pm
Location: Hull, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Lump at throat

Post by philosophyfox » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:14 pm

I hope he is enjoying his meds :lol:

I did think glancing through the 'View new posts' options that it was 'Lump in Throat' and I didn't look at the poster and assumed it was an obituary :oops:
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

User avatar
hedgeweasel
Member
Member
Posts: 4710
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Dorset

Re: Lump at throat

Post by hedgeweasel » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:41 pm

he was a turd with his meds this morning (just because i had to go out!) so me thinks it might be down the neck time lol although he seems to be able to hold it in his mouth for an incredible amount of time!

yeah i did notice my english was somewhat lacking when i gave this post a title,

User avatar
philosophyfox
Member
Member
Posts: 3702
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:05 pm
Location: Hull, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Lump at throat

Post by philosophyfox » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:44 pm

I love how drama llamary they get when it comes to giving meds. Well, by love, I mean it's amusing for a couple of seconds and then incredibly frustrating. Hope he deals with the down the neck method in a less turdery fashion :luck:
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests