heat stroke help

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
philosophyfox

heat stroke help

Post by philosophyfox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:39 am

gaelan is dying from heatstroke cant walk eat drink move vets at half ten dont know what to do its too hot and walking there will kill him taxi will boil him am scared he is dying
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

Anthony

Re: heat stroke help

Post by Anthony » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:44 am

Hey,

sorry to hear that. I'm no expert but I guess you should be doing what what you do if a human is havibng a heat stroke, keep him hydrated, by syringe if you have too, keep him moving, make sure the blood is flowing, do this by rubbing him or moving his limbs for him. You need to cool him down too, I'm sure you're already doing this, but fan him or hold a cold cloth to him As for the taxi, perhaps ring up and tell them you need a air conditioned taxi?

Sorry for not being much help, I just didn't wanna read and run.

perhaps also take a freezing cloth into the taxi with you? I'm not really sure how a rats little body would react to that amount of cold, but I think that keepign him cool and hydrated is the main thing at the moment.
Ollie :dumbo:, Oskar :dumbo:, Riley :smileyrat:, Joey :smileyrat:, Rupert :smileyrat: Eska :teen: , Erik :teen: and The baby :dumboteen:, Miles :baby:, Axel :baby:

RIP Louis, Minnie & Ginger <3

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:46 am

Wrap him in a cold wet towel to bring his temp down (not icy or very cold), put him in a carrier, being in a taxi won't make it worse then.
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:51 am

RattyRenton wrote:Wrap him in a cold wet towel to bring his temp down (not icy or very cold), put him in a carrier, being in a taxi won't make it worse then.
That's what I'd do, also you need to try to get some fluids into him.
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:42 am

I walked to the vets (it's quicker than waiting for a taxi) got him in about 10mins after posting the above. his temperature is subnormal and he is suffering fromshock. he has been admitted and it'sunlikely he will survive much longer than an hour at best. i feel so *please do not swear*
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:54 am

philosophyfox wrote:I walked to the vets (it's quicker than waiting for a taxi) got him in about 10mins after posting the above. his temperature is subnormal and he is suffering fromshock. he has been admitted and it'sunlikely he will survive much longer than an hour at best. i feel so *please do not swear*
wow, I didn't realise it could be that serious :( I'm sorry to hear about your boy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him! Could it be something other than heatstroke though? Once I read this I had a quick nose around and came across a couple of websites and they all seem to say around 80 degrees F is when rats begin to have trouble and in Hull, according to BBC weather you're currently sitting on around 16 degree C which is around 60 F
Ollie :dumbo:, Oskar :dumbo:, Riley :smileyrat:, Joey :smileyrat:, Rupert :smileyrat: Eska :teen: , Erik :teen: and The baby :dumboteen:, Miles :baby:, Axel :baby:

RIP Louis, Minnie & Ginger <3

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 am

It's really muggy indoors though,it's certainly not as low as 16, I'd say it's more mid 20s. My room must be pushing about 30. I've moved the remaining rats into my mum's room which is north facing. but they seem ok they are just fed up of the bin men

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:03 am

Dont want to read and run - thinking of you Lisa xxxx
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

Golgotha_tramp

Post by Golgotha_tramp » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:36 am

All my thougths are with Gaelan , I really hope that they can get some fluids into him and he stabilises.

Hugs :hearts:
Alex & The boys - Cathode, Sammy, Romulus, Remus, Sherman, Bohater, Rube and Fenrir.
Gone but not forgotten - :halo: Anode :dumbohalo: Fred

sati18

Post by sati18 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:39 am

again- i can't add anything useful but we;ve got our fingers crossed here for you and your little one x
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:41 am

Thank you everyone :hearts: .
I just feel so helpless. They mentioned ABs and steroids I didn't ask about fluids, surely they would have realised he needs them? I could imagine any of the others getting poorly because they over weight, but he isn't, I thought he was fine. He is my baby, he can't do this to me, not after losing Crunchie so soon.

Abelia

Post by Abelia » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:47 am

I'm sorry I can't add anything to help :( but my thoughts are with you and Gaelan :hearts:
Alyssa :D Mum to:
Merlin and Pixel :dumbo: Jelly and Pocky :smileyrat: Basil, Beanie, Marvin and Nemo :dumbo:
Always in my heart R.I.P: :hearts: Reggie, George, Homer, Bart and Brave Bilbo :dumbohalo: :love:

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:54 am

Aw, Gaylord! :( I hope he pulls round. thinking of you xx

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks Lilly. I am so sorry I've broken him. I don't want to lose him.

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:06 pm

philosophyfox wrote:Thanks Lilly. I am so sorry I've broken him. I don't want to lose him.
Don't be daft. He was broken when i gave him to you ;) (along with the other two monsters).
Seriously though, i hope he's ok. Its nothing you have done wrong Lisa :love: