Respiratory problems again...

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Abelia

Respiratory problems again...

Post by Abelia » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what mostly causes respiratory problems in rats please?
My first rat to get a problem was Beanie at the end of April. It was touch and go for a bit and then he pulled through once we changed his medication. Then Marvin became unwell a few weeks ago, but I wasn't too surprised at that as they are brothers and not from a good start in life. Marvin got better, however Jelly started sounding really chesty on Sunday and then Marvin suddenly went downhill overnight last night :(
They are now both lying on the cage floor and breathing really noisy and fast :( Their vet appointment isn't until 9am tomorrow morning. I can't go there any earlier as they don't have a slot and my mum is working anyway. I'm hoping they'll be okay. I found one of my old Guinea Pigs dead yesterday, I don't want to lose any more furry friends this week... :(

Can dusty substrate cause it? I've been thinking about it a lot recently as the substrate I use (not sure if I should name it) has been very dusty recently... I hoover out the bottom of the cage every week! I did complain and the supplier said he is changing things, so I've ordered a new bale hoping it's going to be better...
I recently turned our box room into a rat room (yay!) It's got excellent ventilation and it's easy to keep clean, so that's not the problem. I don't use anything perfumed anywhere near the rat room and I only use hot water to clean the cage. I'm really at a loss to think of anything else that is making it worse for my poor boys.

Thank you for reading
Alyssa :D Mum to:
Merlin and Pixel :dumbo: Jelly and Pocky :smileyrat: Basil, Beanie, Marvin and Nemo :dumbo:
Always in my heart R.I.P: :hearts: Reggie, George, Homer, Bart and Brave Bilbo :dumbohalo: :love: