Post-neutering worry - did they miss part of one?!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
velvet_nothing

Post-neutering worry - did they miss part of one?!

Post by velvet_nothing » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:09 pm

I had my boy Marmalade neutered three weeks ago, and on the surface all seemed to have gone well. He looked a bit in pain for a day or two afterwards, then eased back into things and seemed to grow calmer towards his new cagemates, which is why he was being done. One side always looked more swollen than the other, but I assumed that was either a bit of post-op swelling or a potential abscess, so kept an eye on it. Now, both sides look to have healed well, but one is soft and wrinkly, as you would expect and the other... it's still reasonably large and has a solidish lump in it :( Anybody have experience of an abscess going for this long without bursting? It doesn't look to me like it's coming to a head, but if it *isn't* an abscess, well... :o He's also been being moody with the little ones again today. Please tell me it's not possible for a vet to have somehow missed a ball?! If not, any other ideas on what it could be? I can post a photo later if that'd help, as the difference is visible.

Hobbit Stealer

Re: Post-neutering worry - did they miss part of one?!

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:33 pm

To me it just sounds like an abscess, Widget had one after his neuter, and it took a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time to eventually pop, but pop it did. I don't think the vet will have missed anything. If he is swollen 'down there' that could be why he is being grumpy? Did your vet offer a post-op check up thingy? Maybe you could take him and see what they say :luck:
Mandy and the Boys: Agouti rex Widget, black roan Teddy, mink berkshire Hobbit and champagne self Womble
I survived Dark Wednesday!
Scrumpy, Whiskey, Murphy and Chaser - we miss you <3
Goodbye Jack :'(

velvet_nothing

Post by velvet_nothing » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Thanks for the reply; I'm sure you're right. Assuming it is an abscess, I hope for his sake that it pops soon - it can't be comfortable for the poor boy :(

Becky1

Post by Becky1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:17 pm

I agree that it could be an abscess or even an infection. Has Marmalade been given any antibiotics like baytril?

If it's not an abscess/infection it could be swollen because one of his "balloons/balls" refuse to believe that there's nothing inside it anymore..and they're just clinging on to the hope..that there is?!! I only keep females here but I have also been known to keep "deballed" bucks, and I've noticed that some "balloons/balls" deflate quicker than others!! Also when it comes to his hormones..every male is different..some lose their hormones once their bits have gone..but others..love to hang on to them..ie for several weeks after the op!!
Becky & Cynthia Dolores Rita Esther Eve Harriet Hattie.

Sleep well those before them, you may be gone...but you're never forgotten :rainbow:

Hobbit Stealer

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:34 pm

When Widget had his abscess there my OH joked that poor Widget must have woken up one day and gone 'YAY!!! THEY'VE GROWN BACK!!!!' :lol: :lol:
Mandy and the Boys: Agouti rex Widget, black roan Teddy, mink berkshire Hobbit and champagne self Womble
I survived Dark Wednesday!
Scrumpy, Whiskey, Murphy and Chaser - we miss you <3
Goodbye Jack :'(

velvet_nothing

Post by velvet_nothing » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:03 pm

Hobbit Stealer wrote:When Widget had his abscess there my OH joked that poor Widget must have woken up one day and gone 'YAY!!! THEY'VE GROWN BACK!!!!' :lol: :lol:
:lol: Lol, with only one Marmalade must be utterly confused! :wink: How long did it take for his abscess to come to a head and pop? It's been three weeks now since the op, and the lump isn't showing any signs of changing colour etc.

@Becky1, He hasn't had any ABs yet. I generally just bathe abscesses with saline water/hibiscrub (unless they're facial ones), but have never dealt with a post-neuter one before so may nip him to the vet to see what they think.

Becky1

Post by Becky1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:28 pm

velvet_nothing wrote: @Becky1, He hasn't had any ABs yet. I generally just bathe abscesses with saline water/hibiscrub (unless they're facial ones), but have never dealt with a post-neuter one before so may nip him to the vet to see what they think
I do that as well but due him being neutered..ie his "internal bits" possibly being pulled out through a hole..I think I would nip him back to the vets and ask for antibiotics..just in case there's an infection...somewhere that the eye can't see? Sending Marmalade healing vibes xx
Becky & Cynthia Dolores Rita Esther Eve Harriet Hattie.

Sleep well those before them, you may be gone...but you're never forgotten :rainbow:

velvet_nothing

Post by velvet_nothing » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:47 pm

So... the day after I decide to finally post my silly concerns on FRs, the swollen side finally starts to change colour and look more like an abscess! No wonder the poor lad's been a bit grumpy - it's gonna be one hell of a hole when it goes :sickrat: