what would an abscess look like post neuter?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
cherryrat333

what would an abscess look like post neuter?

Post by cherryrat333 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi. Poley got neutered last Thursday. Last night I noticed one side is swollen, it isn't a strange colour or anything but it is firm to the touch. Should I be concerned and take him to the vets tomorrow or wait a few more days and monitor it? He is fine in himself, apart from randomly fluffing up when he is in his cage (he is on his own for the time being until his hormones have settled).
thanks

cherryrat333

Re: what would an abscess look like post neuter?

Post by cherryrat333 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:02 pm

he is going to the vets tomorrow for a little check up. I'm guessing they may prescribe antibiotics. What would be the best ones for a potential abscess? Just incase they say baytril without thinking of anything else

velvet_nothing

Post by velvet_nothing » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:42 pm

That sounds exactly like what my Marmalade has at the moment! He was done three weeks ago and his abscess is only now looking like it might be going to burst. I normally just bathe abscesses with saline water or hibiscrub, and ease off any scabs to keep the wound open, but if you do want to us ABs as well then I think (couldn't swear to it!) that Synulox is a good one for abscesses, or Antirobe, which I think is applied topically - but Baytril should be fine too. I'm considering getting my lad some ABs as well, as I guess given the placing it's not likely to stay terribly clean...

cherryrat333

Post by cherryrat333 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:17 pm

thanks...his surgery is quite recent, and as the consultation is free with the after care so I figured taking him along. Also I have no experience with abscess' (although I have been researching) so didn't want to take any chances.

He is fine in himself and has been bombing about tonight. He doesn't mind it being touched either so hopefully it should be nice and straight forward.

cherryrat333

Post by cherryrat333 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:13 pm

the vet said he didn't think it was an abscess and to just let it go down by itself...I had a look now and it's getting the black bit, I guess where it will pop from. Shall I just let it pop and let him clean it up? i don't want to mess about too much with it as his surgery wound hasn't fully healed yet.