Help-Tom seems to have a whole by his bum

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Sandie

Help-Tom seems to have a whole by his bum

Post by Sandie » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Hi
I have posted recently about Tom who got castrated around 2 weeks ago, he then developed an infection and was opened up again by the vets, they rang to say infection had reached adomen and was far worse than anticipated so dont expect a good outcome.
Since then Tom seems to be doing really well (its been around 6 days now) and has been having antibiotics twice a day, the vets are quite amazed.
However tonight I notice that where his bum is, is a large open whole that looks moist and yellow, have a perhaps missed this before, I dont think so. Tom however seems fine in himself.
Does anyone know what this could be. I am very anxious and worried
Thanks
Sandie

velvet_nothing

Re: Help-Tom seems to have a whole by his bum

Post by velvet_nothing » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:02 pm

That sounds a lot like an abscess that has just burst. You may want to continue with antibiotics from the vet, and bathing it with hibiscrub or cooled saline water will also help. The aim is to remove most of the yellow yuck from the hole, but to ease off any scabs that form on top, because with abscesses you need to keep the wound open while it heals to allow all of the gunk to get out. Also, how close to the bum hole is it? (sorry to be icky!). Good luck with him! :luck:

sati18

Post by sati18 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:16 pm

^^^ good advice and seconded on the abscess- could youget a pic for us?

also which antibiotics is he on? there may be a better combination or alternative that could be tried...
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

Sandie

Post by Sandie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:44 am

Hi

The whole is right beside his bum.

I just took him to the vets and they said the whole has got bigger but do not worry. He also said that they did flush out lots of infection last week and on top of that he had developed a hernia.

They said to just leave it and continue with the antibiotics (Bayrtil .1ml twice a day), although trying to inject them into his mouth is a nightmare.

Thanks for all your advice

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:55 pm

I would also say an abcess, the right dosage of baytril is 0.1ml per 100g, how much does he weigh?
Have you tried the baytril in something yummy? That way theres no stress on anyones behalf :)
Custard and baby food always work for me :luck:
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

GeekyGoth

Post by GeekyGoth » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:16 pm

is there any fecal matter coming from the hole? I ask as my boy harry had an abcess in the anal gland and it went through to his rectal passage and fecal matter came out...

His thread is here with pictures:
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... 4&t=153287
Whiskers In The Ear small animal rescue often has animals seeking forever homes.http://www.whiskersintheear.bravehost.com

Owned By The Fuzzy Hoards
Sweet dreams to all those at the bridge, Mummy loves you all