advice please - tiny lump

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
caroline739

advice please - tiny lump

Post by caroline739 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:10 pm

I have just found a tiny lump under the skin at Fizzle's shoulderblade. It moves freely with the skin and is about the size of a small match head. It certainly doesn't bother her and she doesn't react at all if I touch it. She is not behaving any differently from normal.
Is it the start of a tumour?
What else could it be?
What action should I take?

Thanks for any info / advice as this is my first lump :(
Caroline - Mummy to :girly:Fizzle, Sparkles, Pinky and Bubbles + :baby: Cinders and Sweetie
:rainbow: Caspar :rainbow: Logan

Lackis

Re: advice please - tiny lump

Post by Lackis » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi I'm afraid I can't offer any advice but I'm taking Jupiter to the vets tomoroow afternoon, he's had a tiny lump on his left side below armpit rejion for a little while and now there is a second tiny lump next to it. I'll let you know what my vet says tomorrow incase it's of any help. I imagine she'll want to remove them as that's her advised course fo action for any kind of lump on a rat because they all have the potential to turn into tumors.
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

<:3 )~~ All your rodents are belong to me <:3 )~~

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:10 am

I would take him to the vets to have it checked but be warned- I had a lump that matched that description and the vet wasn't able to tell me what it was at that size and wouldn't have removed it as it was just too small to tell and too small to operate on. I had to wait until Albert's got a bit bigger until the vets could have some idea of what it was and be happy to remove. Albert's got to the size of a large pea/small broad bean before the vets felt able to operate.

I would still go to the vets though, they can give you advice of what signs to look out for that would require attention and when they would feel they could do something about it. Also, I found it useful that the vets already knew about it in terms of follow up appointments for it :)
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:34 am

I'd maybe ring the vet if you have a good rat vet and see what they think, if it is too small yet to do anything then a phonecall should be enough.

My girl got a very fast growing lump in what sounds like the same place, it was removed at grape size with no problems and so far (touch wood) no reccurence.

Could it just be a small bite scar?
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture