Severe resp infection/facial abscess

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Amzy

Severe resp infection/facial abscess

Post by Amzy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:08 pm

About 2/3 weeks ago one of my 10 month old does developed what looked like a facial abcess. It developed a head, and leaked some green stuff, but it then disappeared. It didnt burst as such.

A few days ago she started sounding respy/hooty at times, and I assumed that it was the change in the weather - as we'd suddenly had sun. She came out for free range last night bouncing around like usual. I found her this morning lethargic, and cold. I rushed her to the vets where she had Enrocare, Dimazon and Rapidexon at rougly 12pm. I asked for a Baytril injection as I can't get anything into her, and thought I'd rather have ABs in her at the risk of developing a burn.

She's not shown any improvement as of yet. I've been trying to get her to take fluids (Polyaid, Lactol, Daily Essentials and Guardian Angel) all afternoon but she won't take it. I've managed to get a few drops into her mouth but unsure whether she's actually swallowing it. The vet said she wasnt dehydrated, but that is probably another story now :(

Pneumonia is the first thing that springs to my mind. But could this be related to the facial abscess?

I have another vets appt in the morning - what drugs do I need to ask for? I was in such a mad panic this morning I just asked for steroids and an AB injection.
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

malude

Re: Severe resp infection/facial abscess

Post by malude » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Sorry to hear Cookie is no better :( I have had good responses to frusemide before in severe resp issues. Be cautious though if you think she's dehydrated already as it could just drop her BP rather than having the benefit of shifting fluid off the lungs.
Good luck, I am sending her healing vibes :luck:
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:55 pm

It's now been 12 hours since the drugs and there is no real difference in her behaviour. I've seen her pathetically wash herself a couple of times but she's acting like each limb weighs 10 tonnes... and she only washes when she's spat out all the fluid I'm trying to get into her. She's very clingy to me, and wants to be with me :(

Still refusing fluids. Generally goes in one side, and out the other. She has had 1 mouthful of malt paste, and then turned her nose up at the rest.

Back at the vets at 9.20am, where I'll be getting fluids into her, and see what the next course of action is if there is no more improvement by morning :(

For now, she's settled in a cat carrier next to me, on my bed. I've got several syringes lined up to try and get her to take in the night.

x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:57 am

Back from vets.

Had 7ml of fluid given to her and injectable Synulox. Bit limited to what we could give her 'cos of what she had yest.

Outlook looks bleak. Vet (whom I trust wholeheartedly) has said if she doesn't respond to this, or start taking stuff orally then we may have to start thinking about calling it a day.

I'm not quite sure what to do with myself.... and I'm so scared about loosing her :(

malude

Post by malude » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:38 am

Oh no, sorry to hear Cookie is no better. Keep us posted :luck:

sati18

Post by sati18 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:48 am

Is there any chance that the abscess infection spread internally and it's a form of septacaemia? It seems odd that the ebscess leaked a bit and then went away.

Looking at symptoms of septacaemia in cats it sounds a bit similar.... what do you think? Note that they say it often shows in the respiratory system first.

In which case the urgnent thing is to try to figure out what the organism was:

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/sys ... bacteremia

Sorry i can't help more but if it's the case then synulox may have been a good choice. poor girly
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:52 am

But I don't get why the steroids havent done anything? :(

malude

Post by malude » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:19 pm

How is she doing?

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:48 pm

The same :cry:

She had alot of blood/porph around her nose 2/3 hours ago, which is a new sign :(

I was heavily debating whether it was time to say enough is enough earlier, and I made an appt, and cancelled, but I want to give her one last chance to see if anything from the cocktail of drugs she's had actually do anything. If they kick in and she'll start taking stuff orally again we might be able to get somewhere.

x

malude

Post by malude » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:09 pm

Oh so sorry you're having such a rubbish few days. I have everything crossed for her :hearts:

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:28 pm

malude wrote:Oh so sorry you're having such a rubbish few days. I have everything crossed for her :hearts:
Thanks Jude. She'll be coming to work with me tomorrow as I don't want to leave her for a long period of time (I'll be out for at least 9 hours) at the mo as she's not eating or drinking independently still. In 33 hours she's had a mouthful of malt paste and a lick of some chocolate sauce :(

malude

Post by malude » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Poor wee mite. I hope her Parky fight comes through for her and you

sati18

Post by sati18 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Just wanted to add on here- fingers crossed she perks up tomorrow once the meds have had a bit of time to take effect. xx
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:29 am

Still here. No such improvement x

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:25 am

Amzy wrote:But I don't get why the steroids havent done anything? :(
Because steroids make bacterial infections worse, not better. They suppress the immune system. I'm sorry i wasn't about last night to chat - stupid night shifts. The only things steroids would do is reduce inflammation/shrink a tumour.
I would try hitting her with a combination of very strong antibiotics. In this situation, i think i would ask for both an anerobic and an aerobic in combination - there is time later to see which is the actual one that 'works'.
I wouldn't have any more steroids, because if it IS something like septacaemia, it will only make it worse.

Ihave everything crossed for you and Cookie xx