Burst Abcess what next?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
lamb

Burst Abcess what next?

Post by lamb » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:30 pm

I have just found an Abcess on my boy Hermie. He was Castrated a month ago and healed well.(He pulled his stitches out the day the vet was due to remove them) It has a black scab over it. I gave it a squeeze to see what it was an it exploded. I nearly puked, it was pea green and stunk! I can't get the smell out of my nose.I have squeezed it all out and cleaned it up with warm salt water.Do I need to take him to the vets? Should he go on antibiotics? I have got some Baytril in. Thanks :)

Rhi01

Re: Burst Abcess what next?

Post by Rhi01 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:38 pm

Gross aren't they?
I would keep doing what you're doing although maybe buy some hibiscrub. Do you have syringes? I like to squirt the liquid directly into the hole to dislodge the puss. Maybe buy some manuka honey from the vet? I just fill the hole with honey which stops the rat healing leaving the infection inside allowing another abscess to form.
I don't think a vet trip is necessary as they can't do anything more than what you're doing but I would give him a course of Baytril if you have it to help.

Good luck :luck:
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

lamb

Post by lamb » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks so much :D I will get some Hibiscrub and Manuka honey tomorrow. I have got syringes. Also I will get him on some Baytril. The reason why I couldn't get the smell out of my nose was because I have just spotted puss on my dressing gown :lol:

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:47 pm

Urgh :sickrat:

I have never been able to look at cottage cheese the same way since my first abscess!
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Eeewww!!! :sickrat: . Abcesses are truly disgusting. Try not to bring stray pus with you when you visit next week please :lol:

Was going to the same as Rhi, some Baytril, keep the wound clean, all should be well. Scritches to Herman x
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

Rattybabe

Post by Rattybabe » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:44 am

Baytril is pointless, as it cannot penetrate abcsess's. Some people squirt it directly into the abcsess itself, but as long as you are keeping it clean, that should be enough. I use diluted hibiscrub to wash them out with, but you could also try purple spray.
Emma & the furries x x

lamb

Post by lamb » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:31 pm

My other boy Marley felt left out so he grew an abcess over night to match his bros. I didn't have enough Baytril for them both and my poorly chuck Liberty, so I had to go to the vets. He said o.2ml per kg x2 a day, but on here it says 0.1ml per 100g :-? The abcesses that have not popped will they go with the meds or come to a head? My 2 boys are now sulking after being pulled out of my (OH'S) trouser leg hammock :lol: I had to give them a grape each to make them love me again. I have got purple spray but cant imagine my boys being impressed with purple privates :lol:

Helzie

Post by Helzie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:35 pm

Rattybabe wrote:Baytril is pointless, as it cannot penetrate abcsess's. Some people squirt it directly into the abcsess itself
Question from complete ignorance, rather than a challenge :wink: - do baytril burns only happen when it is injected under the skin, rather than applied topically, then?
Besotted owner of Lundy, Malin, Hebridy and Faeroe :love: Easterly backing southeasterly 2 to 4, squally showers, moderate, good.
Sailing By: Cromarty. I miss you, little man. Fitzroy. O Captain, my Captain.
Member of the Savic Royal Family

Rattybabe

Post by Rattybabe » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Helzie wrote:
Rattybabe wrote:Baytril is pointless, as it cannot penetrate abcsess's. Some people squirt it directly into the abcsess itself
Question from complete ignorance, rather than a challenge :wink: - do baytril burns only happen when it is injected under the skin, rather than applied topically, then?
You use oral liquid in the abscess wound, not the type they inject.
Emma & the furries x x

Helzie

Post by Helzie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:46 pm

Didn't know there were different versions! Thanks- that's useful. :D
Besotted owner of Lundy, Malin, Hebridy and Faeroe :love: Easterly backing southeasterly 2 to 4, squally showers, moderate, good.
Sailing By: Cromarty. I miss you, little man. Fitzroy. O Captain, my Captain.
Member of the Savic Royal Family