blue spray

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
cherryrat333

blue spray

Post by cherryrat333 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi. One of our boys got neutered 8 days ago. he has what I suspect is an abscess as it's swollen and has a dark area developing .I want to get some blue spray for when it pops and for any future possible wounds. Does it matter what one you get? I was thinking of getting this one link

Also he has been to the vet but the vet didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about, should he be on anything?

acapae_wolf

Re: blue spray

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Blue spray is just general antiseptic and not really reccomended specifically over other things, not overly remarkable for use in rats. Just an easy spray-on thing for use with larger animals.

Purple spray (synonymous with gentain violet) is antibacterial, antifungal and (irrelevant to rats mostly) kills worms. It's highly reccomended for infections and open wounds in animals including rats. Which one you get doesn't really matter as it's a name for a specific product - I'd avoid ones with catchy type other things added though.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

cherryrat333

Post by cherryrat333 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:13 pm

ahhhh. thanks. Some people say blue, and others purple so i just thought it was all the same..i'll have a search

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:56 pm

What Beri said. Make sure the purple spray has chlohexidine in it.
Good brands are Gold Label and NAAFI. I have Gold Label and use if for everything it really is amazing stuff.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

lamb

Post by lamb » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:04 pm

Don't get it on your hands! It takes days to come off :lol:

annc

Post by annc » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:04 am

Be warned - purple spray tends to come out of anything other than the hole and hit anything other than the wound!

Spray 1 - 'Greater purple spotted double rex!' 'Lesser spotted owner!'

Spray 2 - '"Slightly spotted escaped rat!" "Owner chasing rat."

Third application - dilute Hibiscrub, applied with a Q-tip!

I admit defeat with wriggly-Smeeze - too wriggly for a photo.

She actually had a skin tumour removed, was put back in the top of the Explorer and immediately leapt to her favourite place at the top of the door. The vet was epecting thin, soft skin - he says it is like sewing leather!
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:02 am

I spray into a little dish and then apply to the rat. I reckon that's a bit kinder on the rat given they're so small and the sprays are really marketed for use on farm animals/ horses. It's a lot easier to miss the eyes/ ears/ nose/ mouth of those than a rat, and be more precise with it.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

cherryrat333

Post by cherryrat333 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:24 am

putting some in a dish sounds like a plan, then onto the rat sounds like a plan

Athena

Post by Athena » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:29 pm

paint it on with a sterilised paint brush for hard to reach areas. i like having purple fingers anyway :lol:
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue