skin infection *pics*

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
elerrina

skin infection *pics*

Post by elerrina » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:22 pm

I posted about this a couple weeks ago, and since then billy has been to the vets and is on antibiotics but they dont seem to be helping much. In fact i think one of the patches has got bigger and im a bit worried about him. He's going back tomorrow to have a check up again and hopefully they can give us something that might help but i'd just like to see what you guys think in the mean time or if there is anything else we can do to help it heal better.

Jimi+Milo

Re: skin infection *pics*

Post by Jimi+Milo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Could it be some kind of mite?
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

elerrina

Post by elerrina » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:27 pm

The vet gave us a spot on for him when he was last down there as well as some antibiotics but it doesnt seem to have changed at all, if anything the top one has got slightly bigger

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:32 pm

I don't know what it is but I had something like this on a couple of my rats but bigger on Izzy. I just sprayed the area with purple spray 3-4 times a day and it was gone within a week.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:53 am

My Henry had something very similar to that (although his patch was much bigger)

Here's some pics:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj49 ... 9b0bef.jpg- this was near the beginning

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj49 ... 4cb8a8.jpg- not trying to scare you but this was probably not far off the worst it got

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj49 ... ac6000.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj49 ... e1c249.jpg- A couple of others at various stages

Henry didn't make it back from this but he had other complications and issues so don't think this is the end for your ratty. However don't under estimate it's ability to make your ratty feel quite poorly. It's probably quite painful as it's essentially a raw open area so some pain relief may be in order. Cleaning is a tough one, you dont want to over clean it and make it raw and stop it from scabbing up but it's also important to keep it clean. We started with twice daily cleaning whilst it was raw and open and then once it scabbed we left it unless he caught it and lifted a scab. We also used dermasol with speeds up natural healing (available from the vet) and aloe vera gel to soothe the area.

As for AB's, we found synulox to be the most effective. It can be a harsh on the gut flora so some probiotic supplement from the vet would be good. You may also want to think about immune system support as well- his immune system will be compromised at the moment as he is already fighting an infection and you don't want a secondary infection to take hold. Dr Squiggles in the water is a must but there are also natural remedies you can use- a few drops of echinacea in a cup of rosehip tea daily will help.

I hope that helps and your ratty is feeling better soon!
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats