Opinions or advice needed on if 2PTS please

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Nikki 30

Opinions or advice needed on if 2PTS please

Post by Nikki 30 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:37 pm

My male rat had a suspected respiritory infection which was treated for 2 weeks with antibiotics but it didnt work if anything his breathing got worse. I took him to a different vet who said he had a heart condition and it sounded like the right and left sides of his heart are beating at different rates :-? He is still eating, drinking, no weight loss and he's active, not quite as active as he has been but not sure if this is cos he's getting older or not. Really don't know what to do as his breathing sounds terrible but he's okay in himself. Any opinions or advice on if he should be PTS would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

malude

Re: Opinions or advice needed on if 2PTS please

Post by malude » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Is your vet quite rat savvy? If he's still well in himself, active and eating and drinking I'd get a second opinion from a vet with lots of rat experience (or one who is at least willing to learn!). What ABs did he have for the resp infection? It's also sometimes worth trying a med called Fortekor if heart failure is suspected as it can help if the problem is indeed cardiac :luck:
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

Nikki 30

Post by Nikki 30 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:49 pm

He had 0.2ml twice a day of baytil and 1/4 of a tablet of ronaxan daily, both for 2 weeks. I'll look into gettin some of the heart medication and seeing if that helps :) thank you

Mulberry (Jane)

Post by Mulberry (Jane) » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:59 pm

IMO think through things carefully before following a vets advice to PTS. Twice my vet has suggested it way before my rats in question were ready to go. In one case (2 brother rats) the rats went on for a further 12 months with a certain level of chronic respy noises (which at times sounded terrible) but they were active(well as active as other bucks), eating, entertaining and with a quality of life. When I felt their quality of life was fading, and they were loosing condition, I felt PTS was the kindest option. The other rat was a 5 week old kitten (born here) who is now a bit lopsided but happy, into everything, quite wonderful 18 month old. My vet has owned rats himself, likes rats and is fairly rat savvy. But he definately hasn't always got it right about quality of life- perhaps not surprisingly since he gets to see them just for a few minutes in a stressful environment for the rat.
If a rat is still eating, drinking and reasonably active, bright eyed and interested in his or her surroundings, it seems to me that he or she still has some quality of life even if he or she has noisy breathing which doesn't respond to antibiotics.

Good luck however finding some medication that helps your boy.
Mulberry rats are: Tuck, Islay, Mull & Treshnish
Guinevere, Excaliber, Nymwai, Muddy, Lightnin' , BB, Monty , Brownie, Koko, Etta, Jensen, Fernando, Felipe, Vanilla, Tiffin & Matilda.

Remembered with love: Little Jon and my other sweethearts x

Nikki 30

Post by Nikki 30 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Ok, thank you for the advice. He seems active in himself, he even comes running to see me when I go in the room as he always has done, I like to think he's coming to see me but i think he's actually just wondering if i've bought the two of them some food :D

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:20 pm

I'd agree with Malude. There is a list of recommended vets here.

But I wouldnt PTS if they were fit, energetic and eating. Sometimes respy noises can be lung scarring - it sounds respy but actually its just scarring

x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

Nikki 30

Post by Nikki 30 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:37 am

Thank you for all of your advice, sadly Smudge had to be PTS 2days ago. Overnight he went downhill and in the morning didnt want to move and wasnt interested in food :( He had lots of cuddles and I sat in the vets still cuddling him before his appointment. RIP Smudge :'(

Mulberry (Jane)

Post by Mulberry (Jane) » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:33 pm

sorry to hear that. RIP Smudge, and happy memories of him fit & well for you
Mulberry rats are: Tuck, Islay, Mull & Treshnish
Guinevere, Excaliber, Nymwai, Muddy, Lightnin' , BB, Monty , Brownie, Koko, Etta, Jensen, Fernando, Felipe, Vanilla, Tiffin & Matilda.

Remembered with love: Little Jon and my other sweethearts x