Cleaning wounds

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Gabby

Cleaning wounds

Post by Gabby » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:26 pm

My old boy Cosmo managed to give himself a good old cut under his ear a few days ago. He did it himself we're sure. It scabbed over, but just went to check him and he's covered in blood. He's ripped the scab off and continued having a go at it, and it looks horrendous - pitted and fleshy, like something's bitten his face off. Our colony is very depressed at the moment - in the last 2 weeks we've lost 2 alphas, both of whom were very old, very close to Cosmo and one was his brother, so Cossie is quite stressed, which is why we think he's scratching. We're going to treat him for mites we don't actually think he has them. Is there anything we can use to clean the cut? Can i use a tea tree oil with witch hazel, or savlon? Or maybe just salted boiled water? He's very placid. The wound doesn't look infected, but we'd like it to stay that way!
The cartoon adventures of the Rodent Rebels http://www.rodentrebels.com
Love from Cosmo, Digby, Qixl, Tesla, Mungo and Alan http://www.vermin-realm.com
Bow down to me for I am Gabby, ender of threads!

purple_vixen

Re: Cleaning wounds

Post by purple_vixen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:54 am

Poor Cosmo :( How is he, now?

I just use saline for wound cleaning, but other people swear by Hibiscrub :)

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

lamb

Post by lamb » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:22 am

I like to use Hibiscrub. You can get it from the chemist. I paid £5 for a bottle that will last years. I have got 2 oldies and ever morning you can hear me shout 'Still alive yeay' I am dreading how it will upset all of us when the time comes :( Sending scritches to Cosmo :hearts:

KatieJ

Post by KatieJ » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:21 pm

I love hibi too, I get mine from the vet - available without an appointment.

If he's had his toes in there I'd be tempted to get a short course of AB's too though. Possibly overkill but we know what those feet walk over :sickrat: and there's a chance it might have been itching due to the beginnings of an infection.
::Katie::
~Wisdom~Bounty~Sparrow~Sunshine~Arfur~Wilson~Deeks~Oakie~

Rach210

Post by Rach210 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:15 pm

I've just used hibiscrub on a variety of infected fight wounds over 3 rats and they're all healing beautifully. Its available from the vets but much cheaper to buy a bottle from the chemist
Owned by Jack and Charlie my two fatty ratties