Vet wants to knock out to pop Abscess

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
lamb

Vet wants to knock out to pop Abscess

Post by lamb » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:31 am

Should I let him or wait for it to come to a head . He has had it for over a week now (post castration) His brothers 2 have burst and are healing well. They are both on Baytril 0.1.5ml 2 times a day. I don't fancy him going under because he was very sick last time. How long would you wait. Thanks :)

Rattybabe

Re: Vet wants to knock out to pop Abscess

Post by Rattybabe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:21 pm

There really isn't any need for vet intervention for abscess's unless they are on the face.

You can help draw it to a head by applying a warm compress to it a couple of times a day. If the area is hair covered, it's helpful to trim away the fur (nasal hair clippers are good for this - just don't steal someone else's to do it, as I used my husband's and broke them!) :lol:

Once it has burst, just flush the hole out with salt water or dliuted hibiscrub.
Emma & the furries x x

Sarah_B

Post by Sarah_B » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:51 pm

All my rats that have developed lumps/abscesses after castrations have been investigated under GA.
There was one lump that I left for a bit too long and it got all complicated inside. The rat died under the anaesthetic because his heart was weak. I'll always blame myself for not getting it sorted out sooner. Another rat grew a giant abscess either side (it looked like his balls had grown back) and that had to be sorted out under anaesthetic. He is absolutely fine now.

Another chap got an abscess right up inside him which we couldn't see. His bowel burst and he had to be pts on the operating table.

I've not had much luck with castrations but as far as I'm concerned after everything that has happened I would let the vet investigate. It's such a complicated area and so much can go wrong if you are unlucky like me!
♥ Cabbage, Sprout, Bean, Bandit, Croque Monster, Peanut, Jam and two unnamed Rattray babies ♥ R.I.P. Flapjack, Sallad, Gherkin, Jim, Doogh and Heathcliff

Rat hammocks, cubes and tubes for sale!

JenniferRose

Post by JenniferRose » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:07 pm

I've not had experience specifically of a post-castration abscess, but one of my boys had an abscess on the underside of his neck. The vet said to leave it about a week and keep it clean. Nothing happened after a week, so she gave it a tiny nick with a syringe (without knocking him out) and that was enough to burst it, so she could clean it out.

I'm not sure if that's strictly speaking the best thing to do and it might not be in the veterinary handbook (!), but she said it was better than it bursting in the middle of the night or something, when I wouldn't be around to see it had happened and keep it clean.

Good luck, let us know how it goes x
Jen and the boys: Elmo, Oscar and Indy, and the ratlets: Marty and Emmett
RIP little licky Bugsy