bald patches

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
kess321

bald patches

Post by kess321 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi

I've had a problem with ratty hairloss that's been going on for a few months.

Well first in about April Rachel (both rats are 10 months old) started getting bald patches behind her ears, but in a week or so they were gone. Not long after Hannah got them in the same place, behind her ears and the top of her head. It got much bigger and worse than Rachel's, so I took them to the vet and they were given some topical ivermectin for suspected mites. Hannah's bald patches still didn't go, so 10 days later I took her back, another couple of ivermectin doses for both of them.

Over the next month or so Hannah's bald patches seemed to be getting slightly better, with fine hair growing back, but never really full hair like over the rest of her.

Recently Rachel has started getting bald patches again, this time on her belly. Back to the vets, more ivermectin and some Septrin for Rachel as she had lesions. The lesions are gone and fine now, but Rachel still has a big bald patch on her belly and Hannah still has a bald patch on her head and round her chin.

purple_vixen

Re: bald patches

Post by purple_vixen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:52 am

How are the girls, now?

Could the fur loss be barbering?

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

kess321

Re: bald patches

Post by kess321 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 pm

It's still very much the same really. Hannah has a patch on her head, Rachel on her belly. No bigger or smaller, not quite bald but more like very thin, short hair. I've been given some anti-fungal stuff from the vets that I will try.

I wondered if it was barbering. I see them groom each other quite a bit, but neither ever seems distressed by it and they don't peep at each other much like they do when they groom too hard. I still wonder though...all this started at about the time they would be going into maturity, and I read that sometimes power/hierarchy changes at that time. Hannah used to be very dominant, but their play-fighting technique is very different now and I wonder whether Rachel is becoming dominant and if this change is causing them both a bit of stress? Also their symptoms don't seem to follow the usual pattern of mites or fungal infection that the vet described.

I don't know, the bald patches remain a bit of a mystery really :-? I just count my blessings that in every other way they seem perfectly happy and healthy.